Has anyone disabled the VRS sound generator?

Been unplugged for months now. When I get the call to go in for my 6 Month "health" I will plug it back in to make a final desicion, then have them turn it down/off on the electronic gadget they have. To be honest,the engine (tsi) makes enough real noise when put to sport anyway.

I recently had the check up and asked them to turn off the sound generator. This did lead to some quizzical faces, but they said yes. When i picked up the car, they said it was done. Driving home it was certainly a lot quieter than normal and i was happy.

The following day i switched to sport mode and hey presto back to full blast. It seemed they had only turned it down in normal and not disabled it as requested. 

I have now unplugged it.

The following day i switched to sport mode and hey presto back to full blast. It seemed they had only turned it down in normal and not disabled it as requested.

That's not possible, there's only one volume setting 0-100%....

V6Jules. Well noted, did you go to an approved school! but I think you know what I mean.you actually hear whats happening outside, apart from slight muffling due metal & glass!

If there is only one setting, how does the volume differ so much under full acceleration (and on part throttle) within all 3 modes? Floor in Eco and sound is okay, in Normal it burbles a bit, and it sport it is flipping annoying. All 3 modes accelerate the same upon mashing the carpet, so something other than 100% sound level is affecting things.

Edited by Orville

If there is only one setting, how does the volume differ so much under full acceleration (and on part throttle) within all 3 modes? Floor in Eco and sound is okay, in Normal it burbles a bit, and it sport it is flipping annoying. All 3 modes accelerate the same upon mashing the carpet, so something other than 100% sound level is affecting things.

As I understand it they (obviously) have different volumes between the three mode settings, but you can't adjust them independently. So if max. volume (0 being no volume, 10 being full volume) is: eco = 2, normal = 6, sport = 10 (meaning the volume of the sound generator ramps in a linear fashion to a max of that number) you can reduce ALL to 50% meaning a max of: eco = 1, normal = 3, sport = 5.

That will probably make it sound like they're being adjusted by different amounts (10 -> 5 will be hugely noticeable, 2 -> 1 not at all).

But I'm just guessing, I could have it completely wrong!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

All,

Does anyone have the P/N and cost for the bonnet sound insulation? 

Taa!

EDIT:

Ignore me I found it:

5E0863831 Sound absorber for engine lid

8E0863727A Retaining clips. 13 pieces required if not already included in the above

Edited by Drmarkb
  • Like 1

I managed it without removing the wipers (But I do have the hands of a small child) the picture shows how much you can open it without damaging anything.

As for adjusting with the VCDS, good point and the better way to do it but as I didn't have access to VCDS this worked great. And more importantly cost nothing and needs no tools.

Have a look on the VCDS owners map under VCDS links, you will be surprised how many of them there are. http://www.briskoda.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=299424 

A kind chap in London spent 20mins on my car and fettled her well & more to my liking. Cost me a bottle of wine (my decision, he wanted nout) and a hand shake. Look one up and message them directly. Someone will say yes, then all you have to do is arrange a time and place. 20mins later and your car will / can be different in so many ways. I especially like my now 4X lane change flashes as the 3 X of standard were never enough in my opinion!

VCDS is defo better that a loose connector flapping around being exposed directly to water (possible) and then never working again without some work by the dealer. Might not be you but the next owner who discovers it isn't as it says it is in the add!

• 3 months later...

Have a look on the VCDS owners map under VCDS links, you will be surprised how many of them there are. http://www.briskoda.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=299424 

A kind chap in London spent 20mins on my car and fettled her well & more to my liking. Cost me a bottle of wine (my decision, he wanted nout) and a hand shake. Look one up and message them directly. Someone will say yes, then all you have to do is arrange a time and place. 20mins later and your car will / can be different in so many ways. I especially like my now 4X lane change flashes as the 3 X of standard were never enough in my opinion!

VCDS is defo better that a loose connector flapping around being exposed directly to water (possible) and then never working again without some work by the dealer. Might not be you but the next owner who discovers it isn't as it says it is in the add!

Hello,

May I ask you to shed some light on VCDS, I don't know what this is?

Thanks

Thanks for clearing that up, appreciated

Have a look at the Octavia III forum page, ffourth topic down "VCDS Adaptations" and follow the link. There you can see what this wondrous software can do.

For instance, don't pay £120 for Cornering fog lights, or £400+ for High Beam Assist when optioning your car, just find a kind VCDS owner after delivery who knows what they are doing and bingo, you have both! You can also retrofit extras like the twin boot switch arrangement of the gent above. Audi/VAT Group bit, a length of wire some programming, done. Interior lighting for the floor, (standard/option in some parts of Europe), a bit of hard graft fitting it and a little programming, then you have lit feet!

No harm done if done correctly, the car has the hardware standard, it just needs the software programed how to use it. Be warned, it can go wrong so only use a well versed regular user. VCDS works on all VAG Group Autos, VW AUDI, SKODA & SEAT.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Had mine changed to 50%, lot more acceptable conditions inside, no trim ressonace, just enough sound effect if thats whats needed, personally not fussed with it, soon gets drowned out by planet rock

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Can somebody please confirm if you get the Vrs mode button and sound generator in the mk3 diesel Vrs Octavia?

Thanks

It depends - are you buying new or second hand?

Early diesel vRS's did not have the sound generator.

Early vRS's just had the standard mode button, but it does the same thing

This is in the UK, different countries have different standard equipment.

• Like 2