DVD in motion using Columbus Infotainment

Hi, Anyone figured out how to enable or by-pass the motion security on the new Columbus Infotainment to allow watching DVDs when driving? Preferably without doing any rewiring but rather using a hidden command sequence?

Cheers :)

I think it is possible but why you'd want to risk your license and life is a whole other thread.....

That's jumping to conclusions, he may want passengers to be able to watch.

Sent using tapatalk

Guest Cossiecol

Good luck to anyone in the uk who is stupid enough to put a DVD on whilst driving.

The distraction would be massive and it is also illegal plus the police take a very dim view of anyone using this while in motion, same penalty as driving while using your phone I.e 3 points and a £60 fine.

The only devices allow to play DVDs while the car is in motion must be located behind the front seats.

Edited by Cossiecol

That's jumping to conclusions, he may want passengers to be able to watch.

Sent using tapatalk

Even for the passengers to watch it is a potentially dangerous distraction for the driver. To attempt this modification is hugely irresponsible IMO. I hope it is totally impossible to reprogram. Edited by Timoctav

Good luck to anyone in the uk who is stupid enough to put a DVD on whilst driving.

The distraction would be massive and it is also illegal plus the police take a very dim view of anyone using this while in motion, same penalty as driving while using your phone I.e 3 points and a £60 fine..

If caught or proved to cause an accident the penalties are likely to be more severe - as a minimum driving without due care and attention which can incur up to 9 points and if considered serious enough (causing a serious accident whilst being distracted by watching a DVD would probably be considered as such) a convicted driver can face disqualification. Edited by Timoctav

All good comments, thanks. It wasn't intended for the driver, passengers only. The position of the columbus, being set low down, allows you to totally concentrate on the road without any risk. I'm not saying that you should do it, just wondered if it's still possible, as before with the previous versions. 

If you are a driver that's easily distracted then other lawful habits, such as taking your eyes of the road to read the GPS, traffic report, car status etc carry just as much risk.

But law is law - think I need to check the penalty here in France. I often use a mounted smart phone to listen to music and "entertain" the kids and have never had any issues. Count myself as a good driver, with good track record.

Cheers. +Drive safe.
Edited by Steveh3

The distraction would be massive and it is also illegal plus the police take a very dim view of anyone using this while in motion, same penalty as driving while using your phone I.e 3 points and a £60 fine.

The only devices allow to play DVDs while the car is in motion must be located behind the front seats.

Illegal for the driver to be able to see it, let alone watch it.

The system I had in a Disco was great, like a split magic screen, Dvd playing on the front but only passenger could see it, I got the Nav screen!

• Like 1

Guest Cossiecol

I hate to break it to people on here that think having the screen low down, or "it's just for the passengers" is fine...it's not, infact once the DVD is on and the car is moving in the uk it's against the traffic laws.

DVDs must only be used for the rear seats, I.e. Behind the drivers seat.

But rather than having this topic go on and on feel fee to go ahead and try it, then let us know how any points you get :)

The system I had in a Disco was great, like a split magic screen, Dvd playing on the front but only passenger could see it, I got the Nav screen!

Columbus is able to do that as well.

Columbus is able to do that as well.

You can have full screen DVD for the passenger at the same time as full screen sat nag for the driver!?

I thought this was a Land Rover/Jaguar option only - not seen it on any other marques yet...

Even for the passengers to watch it is a potentially dangerous distraction for the driver. To attempt this modification is hugely irresponsible IMO. I hope it is totally impossible to reprogram.

I feel much safer knowing that you care so deeply for the welfare of others.

Sent using tapatalk

I feel much safer knowing that you care so deeply for the welfare of others.

Sent using tapatalk

Yes I do, ......it might be a child crosssing a pedesttrian crossing you hit whilst being distracted, or a cyclist or a wage earner of a young family, would you want that on your conscience for the rest of your life? So less sarcasm, more responsibility please.

It's called Rear Seat Entertainment and, unless they have removed it in the new Columbus, there is a separate socket on the back of the head unit that allows TV or rear view camera to be fitted but also to do video out to drive (via a convertor) additional screens.

It's called Rear Seat Entertainment and, unless they have removed it in the new Columbus, there is a separate socket on the back of the head unit that allows TV or rear view camera to be fitted but also to do video out to drive (via a convertor) additional screens.

That's not the same as the Land Rover system, not even close.

You can have full screen DVD for the passenger at the same time as full screen sat nag for the driver!?

Having never sat in a LR & seen the system you refer to, I based my answer upon this info.

The Columbus can send video images from DVD to rear screens (to have it on display in the front would be illegal) while showing the sat nav map on the actual Columbus screen.

The screens do not have to be in the rear I suppose. Just not visible by the driver whilst the vehicle is in motion.

It also integrates with Maxidot to show navigation instructions there.

How is that so different to what was described (or the actual LR system?

The LR has a screen that can display two different thing and depending from where you're watching (driver's or passenger's side) you'll see one or the other. So the driver gets to see the nav data and the passenger can watch a movie, all on the same screen.

A totally different thing to what you're mentioning.

The LR has a screen that can display two different thing and depending from where you're watching (driver's or passenger's side) you'll see one or the other. So the driver gets to see the nav data and the passenger can watch a movie, all on the same screen.

A totally different thing to what you're mentioning.

Yes. Agreed. Different.

But based upon the limited information supplied...