Fitted new DRL bulbs

chris c

No there is no bulb fail warnings at all on the Citigo.

I tried another LED type bulb the other day and it blew my sidelights fuse and also the DRL fuse. I'm staying on standards too as it's too much trouble.

No there is no bulb fail warnings at all on the Citigo.

I tried another LED type bulb the other day and it blew my sidelights fuse and also the DRL fuse. I'm staying on standards too as it's too much trouble.

No trouble at all IF you buy suitable LED DRLs. These dual-power work just as they should....no blown fuses, no mods needed...direct simple replacement... and 5-star reviews from Citigo and Up! owners.

http://www.hids-direct.co.uk/r580-7443-w21-5w-gen-2-canbus-27-smd-5050-led-bulbs-pair-white/

Well they certainly didn't like my car :(

I give up with DRL upgrades. Back to standard and all is well [emoji106]

Are they the same as in the link...there are several similar ones? I've had them for a couple of weeks now and they behaved just fine on fitting and no problems at all since. Can't vouch for longevity yet...but they have a 12-month warranty. Very satisfied with them.

Are they the same as in the link...there are several similar ones? I've had them for a couple of weeks now and they behaved just fine on fitting and no problems at all since. Can't vouch for longevity yet...but they have a 12-month warranty. Very satisfied with them.

I got them from Autobulbsdirect which state they are used for twin applications but they certainly aren't. They refunded me straight away.
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Thought I would give my experience...

I bought some LED DRLs from eBay and they kept popping my Light Switch fuse, anyway after speaking to the guy who sold me them, he told me they were incompatible and should only be used in the rear cluster, (so I have put them in my rear cluster lol).

2 Days ago, my LED DRLs from HIDS Direct turned up, popped them straight in and voila, piece of cake, look awesome next to my night breakers.

I don't want to try and teach people to suck eggs here but I haven't heard anyone mention it on here already and I get the feeling, it may be the problem in a lot of cases...

When you change your headlight/sidelight/DRL bulbs, always wear a pair of gloves, the inherent moisture from your palms and fingertips will cause a hot-spot on the bulb which over time will cause them to blow. Anyway DONT TOUCH THE BULB DIRECTLY.

Oh and Citigocuti, the DRLs are R580 dual filament (21W and 5W) whilst the headlights are H4.

Shaun

Edited by fretwanger
  • Like 1

Fitted the r580s today - work like a dream and an absolute synch to swap.

They look a little odd when not lit but boy when they are they look cool!

I think I'm a 40 year old boy racer all over again lol!

Look great with the night breakers too.

• Like 2

Any pictures, I've yet to see an LED DRL bulb that is brighter than the standard incandescent bulbs.

I think that people who replace the originals with LED want a whiter, not necessarily brighter, light....I know that's why I replaced (along with longer life, hopefully!)

• 2 weeks later...

Well at the 2' attempt the MTECs have arrived!.Due to the rather limited life of these bulbs, will stay with the OEM bulbs I have in the at the moment and will fit the MTECs in October so I will have the better DLR illumination during the Winter months.The bulbs I have in now are more than adequate for the Summer.

Fitted the replacement MTEC's this morning,will wait and see how long these last.

• Like 1

Well the mtec's on swmbo car both packed up within a couple of days of each other and after a shortish running time.

Now just had the LED's from "hids direct" and fitted tonight. Wow they are white and bright!

Let's hope these outlast the mtec's.

Link here to the LEDs if anyone is interested. They are a bit pricey but you only live once :)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/271003154785?limghlpsr=true&hlpv=2&ops=true&viphx=1&hlpht=true&lpid=108&device=t&adtype=pla&crdt=0&ff3=1&ff11=ICEP3.0.0-L&ff12=67&ff13=80&ff14=108&ff19=0

• Like 1

Also worth a mention if you do go for the LED's listed above.

You can get them the wrong way round, you will know if you do as they do not dim when you select side lights they just give a little flicker but stay at full brightness!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

One of my MTEC's has just gone too... less than six months old and little use. Ordered the LED's on this thread, hope they are better. Odd issue with HIDS direct, when checking out as a guest (as I did before) it would not take my email address, so had to enter another one. Odd that I checked out as guest both times....

Noticed one of my MTEC drls was blown at the weekend. Fitted them on the 15th December last year so have lasted 11 months which is not too bad I suppose.

I've ordered some replacements but could only get them from HID Directs outlet on eBay, not from their website though.

• 2 months later...

Just bought the LED DRL from HIDS Direct, one of them will not switch down to the 5 watt light when i turn on the headlights, it stays on the 21 watt daylight driving light, i tried to switch back to Mtech and they works just fine, so it has to be the LED.

I wrote to them, any experience with replacements from them, will they answer my mail and will they send me a new one ?

Just bought the LED DRL from HIDS Direct, one of them will not switch down to the 5 watt light when i turn on the headlights, it stays on the 21 watt daylight driving light, i tried to switch back to Mtech and they works just fine, so it has to be the LED.

I wrote to them, any experience with replacements from them, will they answer my mail and will they send me a new one ?

You need to pop them in a certain way, I had the same problem for months but found that all I need to do was take out the bulb and turn it around and pop it back in and bingo it worked :)

You need to pop them in a certain way, I had the same problem for months but found that all I need to do was take out the bulb and turn it around and pop it back in and bingo it worked :)

Thanks, I did that yesterday and there was no light in the LED at all. Today I took it out, straightened out the four wires on the bulb, turned it around again, and now it works...I guess it had something to do with the wires then :-) :-)

Damn, this light is WHITE... I love it :-)

Edited by Donlon
  • Like 1