Yeti MPG seems low

emotive69

Hi All

After a few months driving of the Yeti which is a 4x4 tdi 100hp 2011 elegance i am averaging around 34mpg thats with good long 100 mile + runs aswell. Is this unusual as i was expecting more and cant say that my driving style changes the figures at all tried low gearing , revving the arse of it etc. I normally use esso diesel and occasionally asda.

Any thoughts on anything i should check ? cars done approx 35k

I would also add that i did a journey yesterday and the gauge showed 43mpg , when i worked out the actual mps for the fuel i put in and what was used it was more like 33mpg

Edited by emotive69

Seems a bit low.

I have a 140 FL 4*4. I live on top of the Pennines and half of my journeys include a 600 -700 foot climb over a 2-4 mile journey with only a very small proportion of my mileage being motorway miles and I am managing 37mpg (actual not maxidot)

My Yeti (170 Tdi Elegance) always averaged 42 ish for the time I had it, one of my work colleagues has it now and he is getting 52 mpg, difference between him and me is my right foot is heavier than his.

Him on a motorway, just 70 me always 80, it would seem if you keep the revs below 2,000 rpm your economy will sky rocket, rely on the torque of the engine.  

My Yeti (170 Tdi Elegance) always averaged 42 ish for the time I had it, one of my work colleagues has it now and he is getting 52 mpg, difference between him and me is my right foot is heavier than his.

Him on a motorway, just 70 me always 80, it would seem if you keep the revs below 2,000 rpm your economy will sky rocket, rely on the torque of the engine.

With a CD of .37 at those speeds your never going to get great economy.

During the 70s oil crisis, Porsche found keeping revs at or below 2000 gave best economy.

I have had my new 110 PS Yeti for two weeks and have been pleased with the economy. It is 2WD so not a direct comparison but over 800 miles and two brim to brim fill ups the Maxidot is showing 50.3 mpg and the actual figure is 49.5 mpg. This is better than I was expecting.

Emotive69 I would have thought the 4WD/extra weight would account for a maximum of 8 mpg or so. As others have said around 40 mpg minimum would be the expectation. 

Its odd but when i first got the yeti i drove it much the same as the octavia and kept it below 2000 revs, the first run home which was only a few miles recorded 53mpg ! since then it went down and down. Now it seems to return more on the display if i drive it with a heavier foot and change gears at 3000rpm giving it some welly now and again. The figures on the display however dont seem to add up to anywhere near whats going in fuel wise.

I supposed is should just ignore it and enjoy the drive but it puts a little back of the mind downer on a wonderful car. Just wish i had the pennies to get it mapped ! maybe that would help

Maxidot showing 47mpg. 

Most journeys are in excess of thirty mile round trips, some only eight miles.

The thirty mile trips will see 50mpg on the maxidot.

I do not have a heavy foot  :happy:

More than pleased

Steve.

Can someone explain if possible exactly how the average mpg is worked out on the display ( maxidot ? ) how and when does it reset ? what are the condtions for the reset ?

thank you

Andy

63 plate 2.0 140 4x4 SE with about 7k miles

Straight run across east lancs road M60 M62 A64 to Scarborough = around 45 to 47 mpg actual

Daily run to work - across town, east lancs, M62 and dual carriages / A roads + local driving = 37 to 39 mpg actual

Towing a caravan to near scarborough = 30 mpg actual!

Bit heavy on the right foot and don't hang about at lights ....... I wonder if the 170 has better mpg as it's not having to work so hard

Just done a run (drive) to France, just over 400 miles and got 43mpg average, most of the driving was on motorways.
I do not hang around as average speed for trip was 48 including visits to 4 towns.

Cars only just done 2000 miles.

Edited by thingy

Have just completed 408 miles since picking up my new 1.6 green line outdoor elegance and maxidot showing 66.4 mpg . I am delighted with everything so far and hope it continues.

Have just completed 408 miles since picking up my new 1.6 green line outdoor elegance and maxidot showing 66.4 mpg . I am delighted with everything so far and hope it continues.

That's very good ( I wonder if the maxidot is a bit more optimistic on the new FL models?)

My 1.6 Greenline has averaged between 48/53 mpg over nearly 30,000 miles.

I did average an all time best of 58 mpg the other week,but that was a long motorway journey with a tail wind component and lots of 50 mph roadworks.

The last two fill ups I have used BP Ultimate Diesel ( hard to find round here ! ) and the Yeti is now showing 43mpg average with little and big runs ! it also seems a lot smoother on acceleration. Definitely be sticking with Ultimate for a while.

What's the typical difference between Maxidot and the genuine fuel consumption? (Genuine being as measured by several consecutive tank full litres on the delivery pump vs. mileage covered). Just wondering, as our SM doesn't have Maxidot (I think??, or I've not read the manual in enough detail to realise - which is also possible! "Only" had it a year, and I'm not its regular driver.).  Just comparing 'cos the fuel consumption display on my Beemer is consistently about 6-8mpg optimistic compared to reality. E.G. when it says I'm getting 50mpg, I'm actually doing 43-44 tankful to tankful.

FWIW, my Fuelly calculation (signature, below) currently shows 35.4mpg, in case you're reading this at a later date.  That's over the near-10K miles (9850) that we've had the SM.  My parallel manual record shows 34.35mpg. 

Thanks Graham. I guess our SM does have that then. Just that SWMBO has it permanently set to the speed limit warning. It's high time I took an hour to sit in the car and experiment while RTFM!  Got to prise it out of her hands first though.......