Yeti Camping

twigd

With my first Yeti arriving on Thursday, and a few days off at Easter, we're thinking about taking a small camping trip just to get away. Does anyone go camping with their Yeti, and if so do you have any inventive ways of setting up their car for extra convenience whilst in a field? Just after ideas and inspiration.

Simply take...

One fresh young Yeti.

Gently stuff with a medium tent, an inflatable airbed, one sleeping bag per person and a small box of cooking equipment.

Garnish with an assortment of unnecessary lanterns, tables, chairs, pop-up sinks, fridges, wind-breaks etc to taste.

... and bask is the warm spring sun.

OK, other than suggesting a roofrack-mounted tent, I'm at a loss to think of a Yeti-based camping suggestion.

Ah I know - take a hop up work platform (http://www.screwfix.com/p/square-hop-up-work-platform-aluminium/38093); works as both a camping table and a way of reaching your roof rack (if you have one)

Don't buy a trailer, buy a roof box. Cheaper, less maintenance, easier to store and theft resistant.

Also, fit a 12volt windscreen mounted TV/DVD system, then pretend the yeti is a small local cinema showing a selection of your favourite fillums.

twigd, As mentioned, just stuff it all in, but in an organised fashion.

Here are two photographs (see attached) of camping with the Yeti and wildlife first thing in the morning. We were camped along side the Murray River in South Australia, on our way to Victoria from Western Australia. We were away for 4 weeks and ttravelled just over 8000km.

Do enjoy a wonderful camping weekend.

Happy trails,

Banjobachpost-97472-0-14116400-1395825166_thumb.jpgpost-97472-0-39405500-1395825200_thumb.jpg

Don't buy a trailer, buy a roof box. Cheaper, less maintenance, easier to store and theft resistant.

Not to mention with a roof box on you can still legally do full national speed limits and are allowed to use the outside lane of 3-or-more laned motorways.

I love the use of rear seats in the tent idea!

• Like 1

Thanks for all the ideas! The seats in the tent sounds brilliant! Will check this can be done without damaging the seats.

I like the SwissRoomBox idea, does anyone have any experience of this to see if they are properly good? Or just a glorified Swiss army knife?

Corkscrew and bottle opener most important implements of course!

Camping as a family of four we had the bikes on the roof but took out the middle seat and had the packed tent between the kids (securely so wouldn't fly forwards).  My friend with his Nissan Murano was amazed at how the extra seat space and square boot meant loads could fit in while he had bikes on a tow bar and roof box!  

I love the use of rear seats in the tent idea!

Just make sure the metal latches underneath dont rip through the groundsheet! Ive been camping around Europe in mine - its a great vehicle for it - the thing you have to master is the packing. As mentioned, packing vertically is whats needed but on previous trips Ive even had one fo the rear seats removed and used that area for supplies - easy as its accessible from the rear side door and with the tie down points at the base of the B pillar - makes it ideal for netting and securing from there all the way back into the boot area if need be. :)

Just make sure the metal latches underneath dont rip through the groundsheet! Ive been camping around Europe in mine - its a great vehicle for it - the thing you have to master is the packing. As mentioned, packing vertically is whats needed but on previous trips Ive even had one fo the rear seats removed and used that area for supplies - easy as its accessible from the rear side door and with the tie down points at the base of the B pillar - makes it ideal for netting and securing from there all the way back into the boot area if need be. :)

Would be a good use of a traditional closed cell foam camping mat - cut one to fit under the seats.

Now thinking about a weekend away in the SM

Would be a good use of a traditional closed cell foam camping mat - cut one to fit under the seats.

Now thinking about a weekend away in the SM

You'll still be sitting with weight on parts of the latch/locking mechanism that shouldnt have weight on them - personally I wouldnt do it. When they are in place in the car, the bars on the body floorpan take the weight of the seat and the occupant and just have the latches secured around them. :)

In my mind I am already designing an out-of-car frame onto which to latch the seats to protect them and the ground....

• Like 1

Have a look at the price of the Swiss Box system!!

I just did - I think I'll go for a more 'homemade' approach. Not worth that, I've got half of the utilities already in different guises, just need to place them 'together'.

In my mind I am already designing an out-of-car frame onto which to latch the seats to protect them and the ground....

Do let me know if you manage it, would be intrigued!

Banjobach,

That's a good photo of a curious little Joey.

Hi Ricky, there was a mob of about 10 or so females, three that I could see with joeys, a couple of inmature males and a big fella. All minding their own business while eating some lush grass near a soak area. That photograph was one of about four that I took. You should see the younguns when they climb out of the pouch. They bound about in all directions, jumping this way, then that, like jumping beans on steroids and before you know it they have scrambled back into the pouch. It sure is a sight worth seeing.

Below is another early morning riser, taken the same morning at the same location - Loxton, South Australia.

post-97472-0-39595600-1395914274_thumb.jpg

If you look closely at the photograph below, you will see a tiger snake that I was pleased to see had decided to take a swim when he heard us walking along the bank of this little creek.

post-97472-0-96312400-1395914401_thumb.jpg

Happy trails,

Banjobach

• Like 1