If you could own one particular car....

Maieth

What would it be? Images and reasons please, and what would you do with it?

For me, it would be the number 5 Aston Martin DBR1 driven to Le Mans victory in 1959 by none other than Carroll Shelby.

This is, for me, one of the more beautiful cars ever built and a stunning example of form following function.  Add its status as a 24 hours of Le Mans victor, and the fact that the man piloting it went on to become one of the more important figure in motorsport history and this is one hell of a car.

I don't know that I could ever muster the guts to put it round a track myself, but I'd want this in a cleanly lit room so I could just sit and look at it most of the year. Apart from the days it would have  to go to Goodwood of course, even if that meant putting someone more capable behind the wheel.

car_photo_370354_7.jpg

59_6_1_LM_checker_DF.jpg

• Like 1

Mine would have to be the Ferrari F2004.

vytuje7a.jpg

Arguably one of the best Formula one cars ever produced. It dominated the 2004 season and holds many lap records still unbeaten today. It was also the car that took M.Shummacher to his last F1 title.

The amazing V10 sound track is enough for me to want this car so much it hurts.

• Like 1

Mine would have to be the Ferrari F2004.

vytuje7a.jpg

Arguably one of the best Formula one cars ever produced. It dominated the 2004 season and holds many lap records still unbeaten today. It was also the car that took M.Shummacher to his last F1 title.

The amazing V10 sound track is enough for me to want this car so much it hurts.

Good call. I've never been lucky enough to get to a grand prix (yet), but last year PistonHeads ran a Sunday Service to coincide with the Ferrari OC day out at Silverstone. They would the day up by sending a 2012 F1 Ferrari round for a few laps at full chat. Astonishing sound :rock:

I would love to have a Lotus 49.

20130129_lotus49.jpg

Having driven crashed them extensively in iRacing, I don't think I'd dare take it round a track, but the noise, power and pure engineering in it make me love it. It's like the car equivalent of the Spitfire.

• Like 2

1964_ferrari_250_gto-pic-626246518265740

A 1964 Ferrari 250 GTO. I don't think there's a better looking Ferrari ever made. I'm pretty sure there are cars I think are better looking but I had a Bburago model of this car for a birthday when I was very young. I'd never been wowed by a car so much and don't think ever have since- it took pride of place in my bedroom for quite some time. 

• Like 1

If it was anything then Ally_bassman, I see your Ferrari F2004 and give you the McLaren MP4/4:

BfkDYj4CcAAY16u.jpg

Also one of the most successful F1 cars of all time - winning all but one race during the 1988 season. After a poor 1987 season this car turned rounds McLaren's fortune and gave them the Constructors and Drivers Titles in '88. Senna winning by default over Prost.

• Like 3

I believe it went for £225,000.

There has been a couple kicking around for sale - 550 VAR and also JTW 498C, the latter being sold in 2007 for £136k.

I think that Trevor Barefoot bought 550 VAR.