Air filter

Hyphons

I've been looking at getting a air filter, not for performance more for the sound. Just wondering if anyone knows which ones better or is there even a deference, between the likes of the K&N or the ramair and any others.

I use the Ramair one, makes a huge difference when driving. When parked, revving doesn't make much difference. But driving with the Ramair in makes the car significantly louder, and you get real induction noise. As long as you're not looking for increased performance (which you're not, as you've said - which is good, 'cause you don't get any! :D ) then I'd recommend it! I'll try post a before and after video this week if I can! But nothing can do it any justice until you've tried it! It's fantastic. Also, takes less than a minute to fit! :)

I might have a K&N on mine.........depends on who's reading this!

Does it do anything (from what I've read of course) not really, more for sh*ts and giggles! Slight change to engine note but not much, maybe a little more rev-ability.

My car is going towards the end of October so I'll be selling mine then if anyone is interested :P

No denying that last reply, the citigo can handle it's corners well and even when it under steers, simply let the steering wheel go and all will correct itself

How did I miss this. Let the steering wheel go when it is understeering and it will correct itself??? No it ****ing won't; you will simply go straight on to the scene of the crash!

I can only assume you were taking the proverbial ****.

How did I miss this. Let the steering wheel go when it is understeering and it will correct itself??? No it ****ing won't; you will simply go straight on to the scene of the crash!

I can only assume you were taking the proverbial ****.

No I wasn't lol, I don't literally let go of it mind, I let it slide through my hands back into the forward position

No I wasn't lol, I don't literally let go of it mind, I let it slide through my hands back into the forward position

You don't understand what understeer is then. Understeer is when the front end does not want to turn into the corner and you therefore have to apply more lock to get round the corner. Straightening the steering wheel is exactly what you don't want to do in these circumstances 

You don't understand what understeer is then. Understeer is when the front end does not want to turn into the corner and you therefore have to apply more lock to get round the corner. Straightening the steering wheel is exactly what you don't want to do in these circumstances

Ah I'm with you I do know what it is :) I mean when out of the corner/exciting so for example

Go into corner to fast car understeers, ease of accelerator apply gentle brake, proceed to steer out of the understeer and once heading in a forward direction release the steering wheel briefly to allow wheels to align quicker (at this point I would be pretty much heading straight)

We're way off topic but this should help:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Understeer_and_oversteer

There is no simple solution and front wheel drive (FWD) and rear wheel drive cars behave differently. One thing you should NEVER do if you think you have entered a corner too fast in a FWD car is hit the brakes. This shifts all the weight forward and just when you want the front tyres to grip and get you out of the situation you overload them. Most FWD cars respond better when either neutral or with gentle throttle applied.

• Like 1

Still shifting weight forward that is not want you want to do as it will only exacerbate understeer.

Plus 10.... and yet hitting the brakes in the middle of a bend is exactly whar you see every other kn0b doing... and they wonder why they then think you need to drive around at 20mph... Edited by mac11irl
  • Like 2

Still shifting weight forward that is not want you want to do as it will only exacerbate understeer.

I was always under the impression light braking does help with understeer, increase (to a point) weight on the front = more friction.  http://www.drivingfast.net/car-control/weight-transfers.htm . using the accelerator just makes the front lighter and if you've got it pressed hard and with low grip (wet road etc) then when the wheels spin you've very much into over steer.

Like all things if you cane it into a corner too quickly stamping on the brakes just makes matters worse, the same for the throttle, upsetting the balance of the car can put you in a world of pain (as can the ASG changing up a gear for you mid round about. )

• Like 1

wizzi

You are right to a point (and in hindsight I may have been a little harsh on young Hyphons!). It does, of course, depend on what has caused the understeer in the first place. If it is entering a corner too quickly then braking will not help; if it is entering a corner with your foot buried on the throttle then lifting off and perhaps even gentle braking might help. But I kind of assumed that nobody actually drove like that because that would make them an utter knobhead.

As you said, it's all about balance.

PS I've been drinking (yes, on a school night!) so treat everything with a large pinch of salt.

wizzi

You are right to a point (and in hindsight I may have been a little harsh on young Hyphons!). It does, of course, depend on what has caused the understeer in the first place. If it is entering a corner too quickly then braking will not help; if it is entering a corner with your foot buried on the throttle then lifting off and perhaps even gentle braking might help. But I kind of assumed that nobody actually drove like that because that would make them an utter knobhead.

As you said, it's all about balance.

PS I've been drinking (yes, on a school night!) so treat everything with a large pinch of salt.

Tbh Tween this is how I used to drive, I say used to, because I don't drive like that anymore (not that I did very much to begin with) I've not had any actual loss of control for a long time now

I was always under the impression light braking does help with understeer, increase (to a point) weight on the front = more friction.

http://www.drivingfast.net/car-control/weight-transfers.htm . using the accelerator just makes the front lighter and if you've got it pressed hard and with low grip (wet road etc) then when the wheels spin you've very much into over steer.

Like all things if you cane it into a corner too quickly stamping on the brakes just makes matters worse, the same for the throttle, upsetting the balance of the car can put you in a world of pain (as can the ASG changing up a gear for you mid round about. )

Would full lock and a cheeky pull on the handbrake not help? ;)

• Like 1

Would full lock and a cheeky pull on the handbrake not help? ;)

Yes but don't forget to put your headlights and front fog lights on as well, lol. I actually had a mate do this in his astra a lot of years ago, he'd got in far too quick and wasn't going to make it so tried the handbrake, to be fair it only cost him a door!!!

Tbh Tween this is how I used to drive, I say used to, because I don't drive like that anymore (not that I did very much to begin with) I've not had any actual loss of control for a long time now

Don't forget, Hyphons, that I have been behind you sliding around a roundabout. You were driving sensibly of course, just as the rest of the convoy.

Don't forget, Hyphons, that I have been behind you sliding around a roundabout. You were driving sensibly of course, just as the rest of the convoy.

Ah I did forget about that, the conditions at the time didn't help though

For eco tyres they are fairly grippy. You have to be giving it a fair bit of either speed or asking too much from the tyres to get understeer, something to date I've yet to get. Well apart from at Bedford and Castle Combe!!

Any way back to the topic and the sound of the citigo engine and airfilters :)

• Like 1