Heads up for new cars - something to look for?

Hi all,

Just posting this in case you are interested. I had the front wheel of my car off today, but found these underneath the dust gaiter of the shock absorber. I have now taken them out (as they obviously aren't supposed to be there), and the car rides much better. Before the ride could be very clunky, but I am not surprised now as the shock was obviously being restricted. I wouldn't like to think how long it could have been before they were found!

20140517_161119_zps41feb2e0.jpg

• Like 1

The PDI should have had these removed after the car had been Transported.

Why you need to go over everything yourself when collecting a new cars,

If the tyre pressures are no set, that is a good indication to look closer.

george

Wow that doesn't look good, I would be having words with the dealer over this, that is not acceptable and shouldn't have been missed.

I agree, it should have been picked up by the dealer. They were only in one of the front shock absorbers so I assume they had been taken out of the other side. Needless to say, the car is going into the dealer next week so they can have a look so I will see what happens then about whether I get in touch with SUK.

My only worry is that some damage has been done to the shock absorber when it has been hitting these. But if any damage has been done, I shall get it done under warranty :)

I would contact SUK and get it logged, I suspect the dealer will just say no damage caused.

The problem is not just the side that had the transport block left in the other side will have been effected as well.

With the fact that a lot of dealers are now part of multi brand chains this could equally happen on a ford, Kia or Honda and as others have said is just down to a mistake or incompetence by the dealer.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

incompetence by the dealer.

Quite right - £25k+ on a new car and a PDI monkey misses off parts of the PDI - makes you wonder what else they have missed.

I would be demanding the whole car checked over by another Skoda dealer at the supplying dealers cost.

Quite right - £25k+ on a new car and a PDI monkey misses off parts of the PDI - makes you wonder what else they have missed.

I would be demanding the whole car checked over by another Skoda dealer at the supplying dealers cost.

I must admit checking for transport blocks was one of the first things I did when my dad got his Yeti.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

I've seen this a few times, (I work at a BMW/MINI dealership) no damage has ever been done. They aren't made of a particularly hard plastic.

However, I do think you'll be able to get something out of them. Good luck.

I've seen this a few times, (I work at a BMW/MINI dealership) no damage has ever been done. They aren't made of a particularly hard plastic.

However, I do think you'll be able to get something out of them. Good luck.

I am hoping that they haven't caused much damage but I will make sure everything is as it should be. Hopefully I get something, they are already compensating me for the late delivery of the car! :rofl:

This is fairly concerning. Is there any kind of "checklist" you should go through on receipt of a new Octavia?

There is this on another thread:

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/290726-what-to-look-for-when-picking-up-new-car/?p=3452521

Just a quick update in case you care!

I took the car back to the dealer, and after an hour of faffing and making sure they looked at the right thing, they couldn't see any damage to the suspension components, but agreed the gaiter on the shock was ripped. So it is going back in next week when they have a new gaiter.

I am going to have a good check over the weekend, but I couldn't see any damage last weekend, and the car drives absolutely fine, so I am hopeful I have had a lucky escape. I will keep an eye on tyre wear though in case the alignment is out. However I am pretty sure that I am not going to use that dealer in the future, there is a dealer with good reviews from other Briskodians in the dealer section which is not much further to go so I will use them instead.

Matt

Just a quick update in case you care!

I took the car back to the dealer, and after an hour of faffing and making sure they looked at the right thing, they couldn't see any damage to the suspension components, but agreed the gaiter on the shock was ripped. So it is going back in next week when they have a new gaiter.

I am going to have a good check over the weekend, but I couldn't see any damage last weekend, and the car drives absolutely fine, so I am hopeful I have had a lucky escape. I will keep an eye on tyre wear though in case the alignment is out. However I am pretty sure that I am not going to use that dealer in the future, there is a dealer with good reviews from other Briskodians in the dealer section which is not much further to go so I will use them instead.

Matt

Did they offer any sort of explanation for leaving the blocks in or an apology?

No Neil, they didn't. Hence me thinking I won't use them again. I told SUK about the whole thing, the lady I am dealing with there said she had rung the dealer and told them to make sure they checked it properly but that message obviously didn't get through as they had no idea who I was. The lady at SUK did say that having asked someone else the blocks aren't designed to cause any damage, and said she would ring me on Wednesday to ask how it went today so I will tell her what I thought about it!

• Like 1

Only covered 200 miles in my car so far but the suspension is REALLY stiff and my car is making big boom / clonk sounds when going over speed bumps or potholes. Decided today that I would check for these blocks given its the first day since collecting my car that it hasn't rained.... guess what I found!

Going to be having stern words with the dealers soon, also is it likely they are still in the rear suspension too? I have 4x4 so that has the multi-link same as the VRS. I would check the rear but there are cable ties over the piston sheaths to hold them in place.

post-114490-0-10833700-1401112682_thumb.jpg

post-114490-0-08278500-1401112683_thumb.jpg

Called up dealers but no service department today as it's a bank holiday. Guy who answered was asking me if I was definitely sure it was transport blocks and perhaps I shouldn't be removing bits from my car if I don't know what they are  :S

Will call again tomorrow and get my rear suspension checked and also make sure the suspension hasn't been affected in anyway.

Jeez - not another!

This is pretty farcical to say the least.

Just a bit.

Quite an embarassment if you ask me.

Just looked to see if i could check mine, but dont reckon i could get my head behind the front wheels without jacking the car up.

I managed to check without jacking up by just lifting the sleeve, but jacked it up to remove them as it was a bit tight otherwise, I would guess with a VRS being lower that it might be harder to check without jacking though.