Diesel for short runs?

Thinking of buying another Octavia (after loving my mk1 vRS) either vRS or just an Elegance or something.

The majority for sale are diesel (well in my area) but I only do short runs, literatally a mile or two at a time with the odd long run to my Aunt.

Is this unsuitable for a diesel? 

About as bad as it can be. I wouldn't consider any type of diesel with that kind of daily usage. It will always be running stone cold. If you get one with a DPF you will have no end of problems.

Thanks, you confirmed my concerns Huskoda!

Phil-E prob would've been a 1.9PD

Maybe I'll get another Mk1 vRS that seemed to cope fine with my short runs (with a bit of a blast now and again lol)

• Like 1

Not a good idea. Waste of money as well diesel is dearer to buy.

Buy a bike and hire a car to visit your aunt :rock:

Edited by Aspman

Thanks, you confirmed my concerns Huskoda!

Phil-E prob would've been a 1.9PD

Maybe I'll get another Mk1 vRS that seemed to cope fine with my short runs (with a bit of a blast now and again lol)

We have a 1.9 PD105 (very similar engine to the Fabia vRS PD130).

We do about 12,000 miles a year.

The car doesn't get used every day but when it does it's either just a 6 mile round trip in stop-start traffic or an A-road 35 mile round trip.

Then it gets regular weekend motorway or A road runs.

It sounds like your route may be just under what is recomended for a diesel. But then again if you found the MK1 vRS 1.9 ok previously then the Octavia 1.9 would be no worse if not better.

Phil

The 1.9 PD105 doesn't have a DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter) so that is one major headache you wouldn't have to worry about.

Saying that judging by your annual mileage / journey types I don't think it makes sense to buy a diesel. Diesel cars are more to buy and the fuel is more expensive.

Anything less than 15,000 miles/year and I'd be recommending a petrol.

I only do short runs, literatally a mile or two at a time with the odd long run

To be honest, no engine will particularly like this kind of use.

The 1.9 PD will use less fuel than any of the petrol engine options, even with this kind of use. But with this kind of low mileage use, you need to consider other factors......like possible unreliability issues with such little use. For this reason I'd avoid any engine with a turbo and DPF.

I agree with cEPI. Get a 1.6 normally aspirated petrol......they are very good value for money.    

the new 1.6d wouldnt mind it too much. My supervisor does a daily trip of 2 miles and his golf bluemotion doesnt play up

The thing about it costing more in the long run I find hard to believe. My vrs derv does about 3 miles a day plus the odd trip at weekend etc and im saving £120 a month minimum over my civic which did the same mpg as the petrol vrs

We have a 1.9 PD105 (very similar engine to the Fabia vRS PD130).

We do about 12,000 miles a year.

The car doesn't get used every day but when it does it's either just a 6 mile round trip in stop-start traffic or an A-road 35 mile round trip.

Then it gets regular weekend motorway or A road runs.

It sounds like your route may be just under what is recomended for a diesel. But then again if you found the MK1 vRS 1.9 ok previously then the Octavia 1.9 would be no worse if not better.

Phil

I think MK1 vRS OP is referring to is an Octavia not a Fabia

Yes sorry I meant Octavia vRS.  Although could put some more pennies away for a mk2 fsi version.

And certainly wasn't looking for a diesel, prefer petrol for my mileage but most seem to be diesel for sale.

I'd love a bike!  Not sure my almost 2 year old would be a good pillion passenger lol (let alone a legal one)

Thanks for your opinions and advice

Yes sorry I meant Octavia vRS.  Although could put some more pennies away for a mk2 fsi version.

And certainly wasn't looking for a diesel, prefer petrol for my mileage but most seem to be diesel for sale.

I'd love a bike!  Not sure my almost 2 year old would be a good pillion passenger lol (let alone a legal one)

Thanks for your opinions and advice

Tongue in cheek I meant a pushbike but you could get a trailer for the little 'un.

You'd be better with a small petrol car for what you're doing. Saying that SWMBOs 2010 116i failed its MOT on emissions and they said it needed a run to clear out the engine.

So short runs with a diesel bad, short runs with a petrol bad.

• Like 1

My neighbour does really low mileage, literally 1 or 2 miles a day and less than 4k per year. He has a 1.8 petrol Zafira which corrodes its exhaust back box every 18 months and developes misfires due to never getting warm. You're almost better off with a non dpf diesel - lower tax, better mpg , higher resale value, and it won't choke up like a petrol does.

I don’t do small cars lol much prefer saloons, in hindsight should’ve spent a bit of money on maintenance on my Mk1 and kept it.  I do give the cars a regular run out to blow out the cobwebs.

No offence, but Citigo, eurgh lol (although you have me looking at them on Autotrader now!)

Edited by Zoe

Tongue in cheek I meant a pushbike but you could get a trailer for the little 'un.

You'd be better with a small petrol car for what you're doing. Saying that SWMBOs 2010 116i failed its MOT on emissions and they said it needed a run to clear out the engine.

So short runs with a diesel bad, short runs with a petrol bad.

lol ah!  Misunderstood there, I did consider cycling in the summer with one of the those toddler seats attached, keep fit too two birds with one stone lol

I don’t do small cars lol much prefer saloons, in hindsight should’ve spent a bit of money on maintenance on my Mk1 and kept it.  I do give the cars a regular run out to blow out the cobwebs.

No offence, but Citigo, eurgh lol (although you have me looking at them on Autotrader now!)

You'll be very suprised just how big the CitiGo is inside and there very nippy.

My dads Fabia has the PD 1.4TDi engine with DPF and in 5 years has clocked up less than 30K miles. The car is used just for short runs around town daily with the odd weekend run over a longer distance. He never had a problem with the DPF at all, except when the pressure sensor failed (common fault),

When he bought it he took a lot of factors into consideration.

1) Diesel costs more, but the car goes a lot further on the fuel (70+MPG for the Fabia) which more than offsets the extra cost.

2) The car costs more to buy, but the car depreciates at a slower rate than a petrol so is worth more at resale.

3) Road tax is £20 for 12 months

Maintenance costs the same, so he went for the diesel.

Just avoid a PD engined car with a DPF, on the most part fitted to pre FL vRS and 2.0 Scout/4x4 cars.

The 1.6/2.0 CR late pre FL/FL cars will cope with short runs providing you do regularly get the car up to operating temperature and take it on a reasonable run every now and again. Most peoples driving styles/routines would allow for a DPF in this generation of car to operate properly and not cause lots of problems.

Ive had several VAG cars with DPFs and not one of them has given me an issue but that said Ive never done less than 11k/year in one.

Our  Sept 2010 DPF equipped 1.6 TDI, has just turned 58,000 miles, a curious mix of daily weekaday 3 mile runs and very intermittent high mileage fast runs.

Still no DPF issues that I am aware of.

But!

Would I buy another diesel for this driving regime (which has altered significently since buying the car)

Hmmm?

Not so sure.