Should I be worried (having the old gearbox)

sniperpenguin

SWMBO's white sport was supplied with the older gearbox (without the push to reverse)...

After seeing threads reporting notchy changes and clutch noises, should I bring this up with the dealer? Is there any chance of getting the newer gearbox put in?

EDIT - just re-read this and it sounds like Im asking for a freebie like an idiot ;) I meant to ask if there is a case to be had that the newer gearbox is there to remedy a fault, rather than an incremental upgrade?

Edited by sniperpenguin

I've got the older style box in mine too. When it was serviced Monday I enquired about this as my box is noisy but they don't have no remedy bulletins regarding this other than a gearbox oil change to smooth things out.

I doubt you'll get a newer type gearbox out of them unless yours goes faulty.

Sent from my PID using Tapatalk

We have the old box and have no trouble with it or the clutch. Maybe we are just lucky.

I have the old gearbox, and I still say, as I have always said, that it is the sweetest gear change I have ever enjoyed in a car.

I've driven both, shift quality on both is good.

In my opinion the gearbox is too smooth. I like to get obvious feedback when I'm not rev matching - my old Swift made it very obvious, by kangarooing & the quick engine noise pitch change was very obvious. It has taken a few months for me to get used to my Citigo - it's too quiet, and too smooth. I can imagine some drivers taxing the gearbox more than it should be, for example by accelerating too much when shifting up - the engine takes quite a long time to slow down when the clutch pedal is depressed & accelerator at 0%

I've actually considered the possibility of a putting a microphone in the engine bay so I can hear the engine noise change :-\

Perhaps I should've got an old car. Hmm.

As with anything if it or you are not smooth (for want of a better word) in your actions.  The wear and tare on the components will increase rapidly and then fail.

• Like 2

Had mine for two years now, had one or two issues selecting first, but it's been a great gearbox all things considered. And it's definitely not getting any worse.

So, you should be fine, just be smooth.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Not quite sure about the ASG gear box but my elegance with manual gearbox has had it's box replaced. Nothing but trouble from day one, complained after a couple of weeks and was fobbed off, eventually it could no longer be driven and Skoda replaced it. The car is only 6 month old.!! If you think there is a problem you must keep complaining until they do something, Skoda are burying their heads in the sand . My car is now fantastic, completely different to drive and I am so pleased that I kept on at the dealership. Took a while but we got there in the end,the way I see it there should be no difference in the gearboxs. They should either be all smooth, all notchy or all noisy. Best of Luck

I've used both in the past few weeks and mine ('old' box) on 13k feels identical to the courtesy car ('new' with push reverse) on 500 miles, both super smooth. Reverse and first are a little firm when leaving my driveway in the morning, but absolutely fine as soon as it gets going.

• Like 1

Simple to tell by checking the build sticker in the boot. 

Mine (Feb 2013 build) is NZF,  5MG 5 speed manual & G0C 5 speed manual on a Green tech.

Mine's a 2012 model, just ticked over to 11k on the clock. The gearbox is fine, can be a little notchy when first driven when it's been stood for 2-3 days not used but other than that silky smooth in all gears. No rattles, bangs, pops from it.

I have been thinking of a change actually to something with 3 seats in the rear but I'm thinking I must be mad to think that I'll get a more economical, cheap to insure with free VED car to match it. As I say the sticking point is I need 3 rear seats.

A problem has occured to my Citigo (1 month old, 2700 km). It has happened 5 times now. During normal acceleration everything seems fine, untill i want to change up to 5th gear - which the gearbox refuses. It like when you want to put it in reverse (when stationary), and you need to release the clutch in neutral before you can put it in reverse. So, to get the car into 5th gear, it´s either back to neutral release/press clutch and everything is fine, or release the clutch like 1 cm. and it slips right into 5th.

Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Sounds like the Syncromesh on 5th is knackered. Every time it happens I I would report it to your dealer and see what happens.

Sounds like the Syncromesh on 5th is knackered. Every time it happens I I would report it to your dealer and see what happens.

Happened again this morning. I wrote an e-mail to the dealer yesterday, so I´m a little excited about what they will do about it.

On top of this my A/C smells of old shoes, and the radio reception is very poor compared to my other car.

• 2 weeks later...

Was at the dealer this morning. Gearshift was adjusted, and it´s way better now. A/C got cleaned, and does not smell like old shoes anymore. FM reception is just rubbish - and that´s the way it is, according to the dealer.

Your last one about the radio reception, why is yours rubbish?

Mine is crystal clear and I've never had any problems with it apart from passing through a certain part of Gloucestershire, I think that is just a weak reception area.

Another car I owned had poor radio reception until I sorted it myself, it was the aeriel connection.