Potential Citigo Issues

ukaskew

I would be interested in anyones thoughts on this, particularly if they can compare it to their own Citigo. A brief run down of my used Citigo can be found here.

I was giving the car a good clean and polish today and noticed a few things, potentially nothing major on their own, but as they are all in the same area (passenger side) things started to seem a bit odd...

This plastic fitting is loose, fine on the other side...

i-xGhTT8w-L.jpg

This triangle plastic panel is very wobbly and loose and doesn't sit even vaguely flush with anything else...

i-RTnHTvX-L.jpg

The shut line on the passenger side door is pretty terrible...

Passenger Side

i-HnQWQBH-L.jpg

Drivers Side for reference (completely flush)

i-KjHJv4G-L.jpg

A nose around the same side with the bonnet open...

Passenger Side, rusty bolts and a gap near the bonnet hinge compared to the other side

i-mz2dpbL-L.jpg

Drivers Side for reference, note the foamy type insert bit which is missing on the other side

i-wSvmWcm-L.jpg

For good measure, the grill nearly came off when cleaning, had a look and discovered it wasn't clipped in (I clipped it back in before taking the pic) and doesn't have any bolts holding it on...

i-XBrChMK-L.jpg

Any thoughts? It may be paranoia but something seems a little amiss. Obviously I will discuss with the dealer next week, but wanted to compare to another first, particularly the subtle things like does everyone have the little insert near the bonnet hinge on both sides?

Edited by ukaskew

I would be getting that to a trusted body shop and also getting the reg checked for accident damage... that aint kosher on an undamaged car!

could chance going down your local cop shop and asking them could they run your plate number for accident involvement,

as you've discovered some suspicious tell tales, a nice copper might beweilling to help out.

The car has been in an accident on the N/S. I'll put money on that. The grille has 3 screws on the top to fasten it to the slam panel. I've had mine off 2 times. They've removed the N/S wing by the looks of it and possibly the front bumper etc to gain access. As said I would go back and see what's happened to it.

Good luck.

Sent from my PID using Tapatalk

Skoda warranty the body work.

Also if body work has be attended to in a body repair, was it certified by a Skoda recommended repairer.

Has the car been used as a fleet car or management car? If so then Skoda sales should have informed you .(Legal issue)

Your observation of the flaked bolt heads suggest spanner work, as new would remain painted from production  assembly.

Your mileage of 13000 in 11 months is quite high- you also mention the bargain price? What did they know but didn't tell you?

Sorry to read your report on this thread as your other thread gives a totally different slant.

Best of luck and hope you have some honesty from Platinum on Tuesday and the right result for you.

Keith

Sorry to read your report on this thread as your other thread gives a totally different slant.

I love the car, this doesn't really take away from that. A Citigo was absolutely the right decision, just maybe not this one as it turns out!

These things only really became clear to me last night, individually they are fairly subtle things to notice, particularly at a main dealer where rightly or wrongly I assumed everything would be spot on.

Edited by ukaskew
  • Like 1

Sorry but have to agree your car has defiantly had accident damage, only question is how major? I thought dealers Hpi'd all used cars, not sure if they have to tell you if you don't ask though?

Speak to the dealer hopefully they will sort you out or put your mind at rest! Let us know what they say.

As said above. Sorry to agree but no question, it has had bodywork repair.

I'm doubting it was done by a Skoda approved bodyshop though. Would they really do such a shoddy job?

Obviously, if it was done properly, it would be very difficult to tell, but I suspect it was repaired by the previous owner themselves.

Have you got previous keeper details on the V5?

Might be worth following them up.

You bought it from a Skoda dealer and they should have inspected it prior to selling it on to you. They will be the ones that sold it to you and therefore are the ones that would be liable for mis-selling the car. I would contact Skoda UK and see what they have to say especially if you have a Skoda extended warranty.

ŠKODA APPROVED multi-point vehicle inspection check

Just so you know your used ŠKODA is in good shape, our fully qualified technicians will give it a comprehensive workshop check before it’s delivered to you. - YOU COULD ARGUE THIS HAS NOT BE CARRIED OUT PROPERLY !!

Vehicle status checks

We arrange for a third party to investigate your vehicle’s history and mileage, to make sure you don’t get any nasty surprises – like discovering there are outstanding finance payments owed on it or it’s been stolen or written off previously. - IF MINOR ACCIDENT DAMAGE, NO COME BACKS HERE AS NOT WRITTEN OFF ??

30 day/1,000 mile exchange

This demonstrates your retailer’s confidence in the vehicles that are on offer. (Terms & conditions apply). - IF NOT HAPPY, TAKE IT BACK PROVIDING YOU HAVEN'T EXCEEDED THE LIMITATIONS.

Good luck in whatever you choose to do .................

• Like 2

Thanks guys, as per the above I have the right to exercise the 30 day/1k miles thing, so I'm not too worried at this stage. If it was a minor prang I'm more than happy for the faults to be rectified and confirmation that everything is completely safe etc, as it's a great car otherwise.

• Like 1

Get it rectified,if you are happy with that or replaced for good and same deal price and some more money off ,as this is very poor on their part.

Go straight to the MD / Sale director with this problem, don't mess about with the saleman, stressing  the seriousness and your intention to notify Skoda UK! . 

Edited by vrskeith

Obviously I will discuss with the dealer next week, but wanted to compare to another first, particularly the subtle things like does everyone have the little insert near the bonnet hinge on both sides?

Yes, I can confirm that my car does have the black insert thing near the bonnet hinge on both sides.  Apologies for the bad photo but I had to take it with my iPhone, inside the garage, illuminated by an LED torch because it's Bank Holiday Monday in Hove and it's bucketing with rain!  Normally I'd have taken it with much better lighting but at least I've confirmed that your insert is missing.

14088125177_43dbc95596_b.jpg
  • Like 2

Sorry to say but that has been pranged!

Now you also need to consider if the steering/wheel geometry is all correct as these modern cars go out of shape very easily.

If it has been repaired on the side as I suspect , then a HPI will reveal nothing :(

You may suffer uneven tyre wear but this may not become apparent in your 30 day return period so check a few things:

Are the tyres originals? all same make/even wear i.e similar on the 2 fronts and more on the 2 rears, as 13k they should still be originals, but fronts with more wear. Also if you have wheel trims is the nearside wheel new or look similar to the otherside?

I suggest you take it back get your money back on the 30 day thing and buy a straight one.

Edited by Defenderben
  • Like 2

I think everyone else has picked up the main points on this one and sorry to say it's definitely had some sort of crunch. It doesn't look very well repaired and I doubt that it's up to Franchised Dealer standard. I would suspect that the previous owner may have had it repaired on the cheap. The panel shut lines are the instant give away.

Several things occur to me. Firstly, I'm not sure I would want to keep this car myself, if you want to sell it in a while, and a dealer asks you has it been involved in any accidents, (as they do), how are you going to reply?

I would seek advice from your Trading Standards Officer - that's part of your Local Council. I'm not sure of the law on second hand cars, but a buyer purchasing a one year old car from a Franchised dealer does not expect to be buying a crashed car, (unless the dealer disclosed this.)

Your contract, Sale of Goods Act, is with the Franchised Dealer.  Assuming that they are a reputable dealer and all official Skoda dealers should be, I think you should perhaps then speak to the dealer. It may well be that he has been misled by the previous owner. Every time I have traded in a car in the last twenty years, and they have all been cars less than 4 or 5 years old - the dealer taking the trade has asked me - "Has this car been crashed or damaged?" If the dealer has been misled by a customer trading in a car, then I imagine that the dealer would have a civil claim against that person.

Finally, a Skoda franchise is very valuable nowadays. Although your contract is not with Skoda UK as regards the purchase, SUK are obviously interested in the conduct of their dealers.

Hope this might be of some help. Personally, I would not be happy with this car, my route would initially be advice from Trading Standards, (Local Authority - I guess Wiltshire County Council in your case?) and then dealer, with Skoda UK only being involved if nothing else works.  If however you intend to keep the car, I would at the very least get someone independent who is qualified, to fully inspect it.

Thanks guys. Couldn't find any email addresses apart from my sales person, so for now I've sent that off with a very detailed explanation (with the photos) and a bunch of questions, I will see what happens tomorrow and report back.

• Like 3