Potential Citigo Issues

ukaskew

Just got in, unfortunately no opportunity to phone today due to a crazy day at work. I've received no reply to my email and don't have any missed calls on my phone today. I should have a bit of free time at lunch tomorrow so will give them a call as soon as I can.

Just got in, unfortunately no opportunity to phone today due to a crazy day at work. I've received no reply to my email and don't have any missed calls on my phone today. I should have a bit of free time at lunch tomorrow so will give them a call as soon as I can.

No response to your e-mail then.

Right, long story short...

I phoned sales today at lunchtime as had heard nothing, sales had passed the email onto the service manager who obviously yet hadn't contacted me. Sales manager phones me a bit later, wants the car in to inspect/fix etc.

So it's going in next Wednesday, courtesy car sorted etc so will see what happens.

I've been extremely patient/polite so far, so will see how that approach serves me!

Right, long story short...

I phoned sales today at lunchtime as had heard nothing, sales had passed the email onto the service manager who obviously yet hadn't contacted me. Sales manager phones me a bit later, wants the car in to inspect/fix etc.

So it's going in next Wednesday, courtesy car sorted etc so will see what happens.

I've been extremely patient/polite so far, so will see how that approach serves me!

sensible way to proceed but I would get hold of the bosses via e-mail  address or PA via phone.Make him aware of the issues and your thoughts and  suspicions of a previous life! With no mention of that from sales or service staff selling the care as Skoda Approved Used,

He needs to wake up his staff and raise standards prior to you contacting Skoda UK.

Yep I will make sure it gets to the powers that be, they're part of a big group locally so I can probably track down an email address for them.

Just to pick up on a few points I missed, yes it's an original tyre, wear seems even, there is no noticeable steering issues (no pulling to the left etc) and despite staring at the bodywork for an awful long time none of the panels are obviously different in any way. Hopefully that all points to a minor shunt rather than anything major.

To add insult to injury my mats, wheels, centre caps etc arrived today, fingers crossed if it's all sorted I can get on with those things in a few weeks.

Edited by ukaskew
  • Like 1

I notice that your reg starts FV. If you look on the Skoda web site for used Citigos there are plenty on there with plates registered in the 'F' region like yours. All have mileages around 10k - 14k and now being sold all over the UK.

Looks like they could be part of a fleet ....maybe G4S.

Don't know what you were told about your cars history but just thought this might help. 

Good luck!!

• Like 1

I notice that your reg starts FV. If you look on the Skoda web site for used Citigos there are plenty on there with plates registered in the 'F' region like yours. All have mileages around 10k - 14k and now being sold all over the UK.

Looks like they could be part of a fleet ....maybe G4S.

Don't know what you were told about your cars history but just thought this might help. 

Good luck!!

Definitely something worth a consideration id say....

Users of Fleet vehicles tend to not car about them an iota...

ukaskew,

How has the day gone for you.

This topic is very interesting, for those of us that my be suspicious of fleet car distribution through dealerships or ex - Skoda management / pool  cars and their history.

As RSA points out and as I have noticed , there is a flood of cars now in dealers post New Reg.

One dealer close to me went from normal used stock of 1 to within a weeks 5, with similar mileage to that mentioned by RSA.

DO DEALERS GIVE A FULL BRIEF TO PERSPECTIVE BUYERS that these cars have a background of multi users.

Think there is now legislations that  exists , whereby dealers have to inform Customers prior to purchase of such a vehicle and with full history applied. 

Edited by vrskeith

Well, as some have worked out above, I've been informed that the car did indeed come from Skoda UK. Platinum Skoda purchased the car directly from them (I've not had the V5C yet so only learned this when I met the sales manager today). Unfortunately I hadn't read the above posts before going in today so didn't really know what to think of the information given to me, I do now have a new list of questions though! I would love to know the history of all of these similar age/mileage cars like mine coming to the market now (Motorpoint in Newport have loads of them), what's the betting they all had their first service at the same dealership...

I've also learned, thankfully, that there is nothing actually wrong with the car, it's 'just' the front wing that is the issue. No idea why it was removed (and badly re-fitted) once upon a time, and probably never will, but nothing else appears to have been affected. That's the good news, the bad news is that the re-fit of the front wing was worse than it appeared, the plastic trim next to the mirror was actually glued back on as the fittings were snapped.

As things stand the car is back with me awaiting a visit to the bodyshop for a 'good as new' repair, the plastic trim is no longer in place (they put it in the glovebox as a souvenir though!) Platinum have admitted they should have picked up on these things, and have also put a complaint in with Skoda UK (obviously I will be as well). I still have plenty of time so I'm not making any decisions yet on what exactly I'm going to do.

I am amazed at how many official Skoda channels the car has made it through with these problems without anyone picking up on them, bit scary really. The car was only serviced at a main dealer (up north somewhere, will check my paperwork tomorrow) a few months/miles ago, and obviously it's been through Platinums checks as well without anyone noticing anything.

Interesting day all around really, I spent nearly 4hrs driving a brand new Citigo whilst mine was in for inspection today, thankfully it confirmed that there is nothing obviously wrong with mine from a driving perspective, in fact I was amazed at how much nicer to drive (and more economical) my 'broken in' one is. Just to confirm as well there is no obvious wear and tear to the car that suggests a year of abuse, far from it in fact, it's in near spotless condition inside and out aside from the issues in my original post.

Edited by ukaskew

Fantastic news!  It sounds like your story is going to have a very happy ending after all. :happy:

Even happier with some decent compensation. Minimum of £500 and may be pay for your extras you purchased.

Personally I would ask for a replacement car, damage free! There are loads around.

Both Skoda UK and Platinum have acted ILLEGALLY .

DO THEY NOT KEEP RECORD OF EACH POOL CAR ,somebody there knows exactly what has happened.

Well, as some have worked out above, I've been informed that the car did indeed come from Skoda UK. Platinum Skoda purchased the car directly from them (I've not had the V5C yet so only learned this when I met the sales manager today). Unfortunately I hadn't read the above posts before going in today so didn't really know what to think of the information given to me, I do now have a new list of questions though! I would love to know the history of all of these similar age/mileage cars like mine coming to the market now (Motorpoint in Newport have loads of them), what's the betting they all had their first service at the same dealership...

I've also learned, thankfully, that there is nothing actually wrong with the car, it's 'just' the front wing that is the issue. No idea why it was removed (and badly re-fitted) once upon a time, and probably never will, but nothing else appears to have been affected. That's the good news, the bad news is that the re-fit of the front wing was worse than it appeared, the plastic trim next to the mirror was actually glued back on as the fittings were snapped.

As things stand the car is back with me awaiting a visit to the bodyshop for a 'good as new' repair, the plastic trim is no longer in place (they put it in the glovebox as a souvenir though!) Platinum have admitted they should have picked up on these things, and have also put a complaint in with Skoda UK (obviously I will be as well). I still have plenty of time so I'm not making any decisions yet on what exactly I'm going to do.

I am amazed at how many official Skoda channels the car has made it through with these problems without anyone picking up on them, bit scary really. The car was only serviced at a main dealer (up north somewhere, will check my paperwork tomorrow) a few months/miles ago, and obviously it's been through Platinums checks as well without anyone noticing anything.

Interesting day all around really, I spent nearly 4hrs driving a brand new Citigo whilst mine was in for inspection today, thankfully it confirmed that there is nothing obviously wrong with mine from a driving perspective, in fact I was amazed at how much nicer to drive (and more economical) my 'broken in' one is. Just to confirm as well there is no obvious wear and tear to the car that suggests a year of abuse, far from it in fact, it's in near spotless condition inside and out aside from the issues in my original post.

Really surprised that you are so layback over this situation and seemingly allowing Platinum off the hook, with just a patch up repair.

Still that's up to you I guess.

I find this very interesting. I think these cars that have come on the used market are actually cars that were leased by Skoda UK to a major fleet user such as G4S and at the end of the lease were returned, those deemed to be suitable have been put out to the dealers in the Approved used car scheme. Others, not so good, have been sold elsewhere. All VAG owned staff cars used to be registered at Northampton DVLA and would have K prefix. Don't whether that has changed but an F prefix would put them registered at Nottingham/Lincoln.

• Like 1

Little update, the cars first known whereabouts in the UK was Paragon in Grimsby, they deal with lease and rental cars.

I wouldn't say I'm laid back about it, but if it's good as new after this I have no issue keeping this particular car and I'm sure some sort of compensation can be sorted. Most out there are going to be lease/rental/ex-demo at the moment as we haven't hit the three year mark with all the financed privately owned cars coming to the market yet, so I'm not going to get particularly hung up on that.

With regards to the law, it's a grey area at best whether a dealer should state that it's ex-fleet, the OFT just say it's 'good practice'.

Edited by ukaskew

Best of luck whatever you decide to do.

I find it strange that when you are sat down discussing the deal, that an "honest" dealer would not mention the cars history.

I have always asked my dealers for knowledge of the previous owners (history), and it fact been shown the V5 document before signing on the bottom line.

So in this case the Skoda Approved Car meant nothing - did you have a tick list certificate of all the items checked,  at the point of purchase.

Hence, does this mean that Skoda approved scheme does not use "BEST PRACTICE" as advised by the OFT.

Wings off cars,painted/rusty bolts, poor repairs glued on bits of plastic.....all I can say is you are a very calm and accepting person.

I would reject it personally and get a straight one.

I fully accept that lots of new and nearly new cars may get damaged and quite a few have paint/body repairs before you own them but a shoddy repair raises my suspicions.

Wings do not get removed for no particular reason.

Edited by Defenderben
  • Like 3

Skoda Recommended body shop?

How good are they?

Get the certificate of repair and warranty updated if necessary if you venture down this route.