Levelling out suspension in a classic mini

Maieth

Totally non-skoda related, but I've given up asking advice on the mini forums; the community is so huge that trying to find the useful comments amidst the flaming, ignorance and off topic responses is like finding a needle in haystack.

A while back I replaced and upgraded the front suspension on my classic mini cooper. The standard suspension setup here does not have any form of coil or spring. Instead, the shock absorber sits in a strong rubber cone under the arch.  I have fitted uprated shocks and replacement, standard cones.

As the car is used, the weight on the suspension causes those cones to soften slightly and, after a fair few miles, the suspension will start to drop.  This is fine. However, with almost all the miles being done with just 15 stone of me in the driver's seat so far, the suspension has only dropped on my side. So the car is lopsided.  It's hard to feel proud of your car's appearance and stance when one corner seems to be drooping down an inch or two.

Does anyone, particularly classics owners, have any bright ideas for sorting this imbalance out, short of driving around with 2-3 bags of sand in the passenger footwell? (This is actually my next step if there's not something easier)

Cheers.

A mod for lowering minis with cone suspension was to trim the length of the cone however I'm not sure whether you'll be able to find anything in print to describe the process.

You could see if Hi-Lo suspension unite are still available, these essentially replace the fixed cone with an adjustable arrangement which screws in and out and so adjusts the ride height.

Or see if anyone admits to having a copy of How to Modify Your Mini by David Vizard and see if it includes details of how to trim the original cones.

Good Luck.

It may be worthwhile checking your back cones as well. Make sure they have sagged evenly. If the have sagged a lot or unevenly maybe best to replace them or at least swop them side to side (a lot easier that the fronts)!

An alternate solution may be to buy a hi-lo kit, readily available from to likes of minispares and minisport etc. This will allow you to adjust the suspension height all the way round the car and could be used to correct the slight wonkiness. Although if you decide to lower it a fair amount then you will need shortened shocks as well.

Hope this helps.  

Although remember once you start modding a mini it is a slippery slope from there lol. This winters supposed refresh and sill fixing has turned in a full on bare shell rebuild. I stopped counting on what I had spent on it since last november at 2K and I probably have another 2K to spend to get it painted and back on the road!!!

• Like 1

Swap the cones (left for right)?

Then vise versa every 6 month?

A mod for lowering minis with cone suspension was to trim the length of the cone however I'm not sure whether you'll be able to find anything in print to describe the process.

You could see if Hi-Lo suspension unite are still available, these essentially replace the fixed cone with an adjustable arrangement which screws in and out and so adjusts the ride height.

Or see if anyone admits to having a copy of How to Modify Your Mini by David Vizard and see if it includes details of how to trim the original cones.

Good Luck.

Despite the work involved, I think swapping the cones over may actually be the best idea for me. It definitely falls into the 'can't-believe-I-didn't-think-of-that' category though. 

While Hi-Los and trimming are good suggestions for lowering the car, I really want it to settle more naturally.  The idea of setting significantly different ride heights for the two sides of the vehicle is probably theoretically safe, but it would unsettle me and I's still feel I was just compensating for the issue rather than putting it right.

It may be worthwhile checking your back cones as well. Make sure they have sagged evenly. If the have sagged a lot or unevenly maybe best to replace them or at least swop them side to side (a lot easier that the fronts)!

These are pretty sound. They're still on the original cones as they still have plenty of tension on them and seem to have worn very evenly.  Thnaks have to go to Rover there. They may have used s*** steel and put in a few too many wires, but they learned how to set the cars up very well indeed.

Although remember once you start modding a mini it is a slippery slope from there lol. This winters supposed refresh and sill fixing has turned in a full on bare shell rebuild. I stopped counting on what I had spent on it since last november at 2K and I probably have another 2K to spend to get it painted and back on the road!!!

SO, so true.  :yes:  :yes:

When Alfie's gearbox ate itself 2 years ago I felt a bit sick at the prospect of getting the engine out and split to get the box rebuilt. However, thanks to the prospect of big chunks of metal gears being dragged through the engine things turned so much worse. It turned into a full strip down, clean and rebuild.  On the plus side, I learnt stacks, rebuilt my engine and now have a nearly-good-as-new unit. On the down side it took 18months and looooooooooots of money to sort!

No more modding for a while now. Moderate tweaks to suspension, brake changes, engine rebuild and various other intake/exhaust tweaks have taken me as far as I want to go on this car.

I'd just like it to sit level again ;)

• Like 1

They didn't used to settle that fast and asymmetrically, so maybe yoi have a dud rubber in the RHF cone?

Back in the day, I had one mate with a stage 3, Hi-Los, and a glass front on his, another with a deseamed Clubman...

• Like 1

They didn't used to settle that fast and asymmetrically, so maybe yoi have a dud rubber in the RHF cone?

Ugh, I hope not, but it's a strong possibility. I guess swapping them over might also show if that's the problem.

Need some axle stands.....

This is mine....... :love:

attachicon.gifDSC_0657.JPG

That's gorgeous :)

I love the pickups, but will never have that kind of spare money.

Looking at it, I made a custom illustration of a very pickup looking just like this one a few years back:

http://www.richardjmason.com/#!cars-digital-work/clkm  <<bottom right on this page.

Guessing it's not yours as that one was on minilites.

Have you checked the front knuckle joint that fits in the bottom of the trumpet as the plastic cups are prone to wear.

Not recently - worth a look. Thanks

Im sure you can also add washers between the trumpet and knuckle to raise it a bit.

Yes you can,i used to do this with a friends mini rally car when we played around with the ride height,we used to cut the trumpets as well,it all depended on what size wheels he was running. 

Im sure you can also add washers between the trumpet and knuckle to raise it a bit.

That's what I used to do. To fine tune, get a set of different thickness shims made.

You can cut the trumpets down but make sure the cut is absolutely square or they can crack!

Don't ask how I know.

I'll admit to having a copy of the Vizard bible. Still available on Amazon I believe?

Mine started life as a 1963 850 and ended its life as a 1380 stage 2 with twin 40DCOE webers, LSD straight cut box and twin tanks.

Oh, the ubiquitous short gear change and a whole host of other stuff.

In reality it was a bit of a shed but it went like stink.

Funny how, lots of years and lots of experience later, you wish you still had it and would do it properly this time.

• Like 1

That's gorgeous :)

I love the pickups, but will never have that kind of spare money.

Looking at it, I made a custom illustration of a very pickup looking just like this one a few years back:

http://www.richardjmason.com/#!cars-digital-work/clkm <<bottom right on this page.

Guessing it's not yours as that one was on minilites.

On your page the word "mean" needs an "S" added to read as "means" IMO.

Nice pics :)

I know nothing about Mini's to comment on the suspension, always was a Ford man back in the day.

Edited by Defenderben

Ok, I've got to ask - What's the point of twin DCOs with a 5-port head?

Using one barrel from each carb on a twin inlet manifold.

A bit canniballistic but the other barrel on one carb was partially cut off to get them to fit the manifold. IIRC, at the time, they were the only alternative to twin 1 1/2" SU's

The other issue was that the long manifold needed required the centre of the dash cutting out, fitting a large box, back into the cockpit to allow enough air to circulate. Worth it just for the induction noise :D

Using one barrel from each carb on a twin inlet manifold.

A bit canniballistic but the other barrel on one carb was partially cut off to get them to fit the manifold. IIRC, at the time, they were the only alternative to twin 1 1/2" SU's

The other issue was that the long manifold needed required the centre of the dash cutting out, fitting a large box, back into the cockpit to allow enough air to circulate. Worth it just for the induction noise :D

So you were actually running a split Weber setup then? I can sort of understand that, at least on a race engine, but twin SUs always gave better drivability for road and rally cars.