Fabia mk1 1.8T RWD

benjen

Nice work mate, would the sump/engine from a superb work better? being already rear facing etc.

what hubs are you going to use on the front then if the rack is going so far forward?

Nice work mate, would the sump/engine from a superb work better? being already rear facing etc.

what hubs are you going to use on the front then if the rack is going so far forward?

because the oil pump now sits at the front instead of over to the drivers side due to going from transverse to longitudinal it wouldn't make a great deal of difference unless i had the engine over the front axle center line allowing the rack to sit under the bridge of the passat/superb sump. Using vr6 hubs just back to front so i can have a leading rack as apposed a trailing mounted one like it was originally. The steering rack sits in the right position and is just a mirror of the original, doing it this way means the engine is behind the axle center line giving far better weight distribution. Hopefully get the block in tonight if it don't rain  

• Like 1

Got the fiber glass bonnet and tailgate along with the Lexan windows hoping for under 1100kg with half a tank in. Would like to lose more but being on the heavy side of optimistic 

• Like 2

because the oil pump now sits at the front instead of over to the drivers side due to going from transverse to longitudinal it wouldn't make a great deal of difference unless i had the engine over the front axle center line allowing the rack to sit under the bridge of the passat/superb sump. Using vr6 hubs just back to front so i can have a leading rack as apposed a trailing mounted one like it was originally. The steering rack sits in the right position and is just a mirror of the original, doing it this way means the engine is behind the axle center line giving far better weight distribution. Hopefully get the block in tonight if it don't rain  

Ah ok, yea makes sense, I would be very wary of using the hubs like that tho as the KPI angles will be miles out along with steering arm geometry you may find it handles like a pig.

Not being funny just from experiance as a I used to spanner on events for a lad with a rwd corsa which never really handled despite very expensive suspension on it. Also bump steer could be a factor with a different length rack fitted. something well worth looking at before you settle for definate tho mate.

Ah ok, yea makes sense, I would be very wary of using the hubs like that tho as the KPI angles will be miles out along with steering arm geometry you may find it handles like a pig.

Not being funny just from experiance as a I used to spanner on events for a lad with a rwd corsa which never really handled despite very expensive suspension on it. Also bump steer could be a factor with a different length rack fitted. something well worth looking at before you settle for definate tho mate.

I appreciate that mate. The hubs will be fine imo, the steering rack will the same length as it's got to be modified for the right length and for the correct track rod ends. The angle at which the steering rack arms angle back is a mirror of the original if that makes sense. I'm maintaining the original wishbones and shock mounting position however the rear end is an entirely different matter and will be complete bespoke to the car. What ever I do will take alot of setting up once its built to get the handling right
  • Like 2

That's going to look awesome in the engine bay :)

I have the engine in situ atm but waiting till I finish mounting it before I upload a picture. Its 3-4" behind the bulkhead

• Like 1

You can be the first on the list. Chucking the engine all the way back means a 'V' mounted rad pack and cooler is an option which is something I looking into atm, seems very popular with the jap cars and of course optimum weight distribution, something the original build lacked

• Like 2

It's come on a bit since I saw,it earlier in the year. Glad my funds in exchange for the box and other bits are helping this awesome creation Ben.

Its not moved as quick as I would have liked due to other unforeseeable financial commitments and time but its slowly coming together. Think most people I talk to about it think I've lost the plot

It line up ok with my driving position, its 4" further back from the original given I'm 6'1" I sit far back. As for the Q plate etc no it will need an engineers report, which I can do part of being a mechanical engineer myself then it needs inspecting by someone from the AA or RAC from what I've found out. But to be honest not much if any of the original chassis legs has been chopped or welded I've just added to them so things like an SVA test are not a requirement.

• Like 1