Trade in prices

kerms34

Was thinking about getting rid of the Yeti for a Octy Vrs ,,,, had a test drive,,, v surprising how much faster the diesel is in the Vrs,,, anyway, we got down to figures,,, and this is from the skoda dealer I bought the yeti from,,,

£18000 trade in for mine against a brand new Octy Vrs.

Yep the car I paid £26000 for 6 months ago is now worth £18000 trade,,, with a skoda dealer.

Yeti 170CR 4x4 L and K

Yeti is staying, no one can afford to lose that much cash :-(

• Like 1

You lose the VAT as soon as you leave the showroom, so 20% right there. New cars tend to lose most of their value in the first year and then flatten off slowly. Six months in, is not the point to be selling what was a new car, you'll be quids out of pocket.

And judging from the comparative leasing quotes between the Yeti and the Octavia, which I looked into for changing my company car, the Octavia will lose even more than the yeti in the same period. 

I quite liked the Octavia estate, but for a similar spec to the Yeti elegance it was going to cost me a lot extra per month over my company car allowance, whereas the Yeti gives me a small rebate even with extras added. This must be purely due to the residual value as the list prices were similar.

My father, in a rush of something to his brain, purchased an SLK 250 Blue efficiency 1.8 Auto, Feb 2012, £39500.

April this year...2400 miles (two thousand four hundred) covered absolutely mint showroom condition...sold for £25000

Edited by DonjSZ5

Shop around and get a few more prices...

Absolutely. I've been told that SUK have (currently at least) instructed dealers to offer above book for 'desirable' Yeti's and CR170 would certainly fall into that category. My offer was £14K for a 2010 CR170 (38K miles) and 6% discount on a new Q3. (This isn't finalised and still negotiating but it's a pointer to what's around.) I think discounts on Octavia's ought to be more like 10% (have I seen 14% off DTD Yeti's, or was it Carfile?). But you may well need to buy and sell separately, buy from a broker etc etc - more hassle definitely but greater savings too. But I suspect that there's always going to be a significant hit selling at 6 months, especially if you paid close to list initially.

The sensible thing would be to hang on the yeti ,,,, the finance is 0% , I've got 3 free services , its a good car that will prob be worth more than the final payment in 2 years time, so mr sensible says keep it ya daft ol git !!!

But by god that Vrs was good  :D

• Like 2

Well get it as well...it's only money.

You sound like the guy sat on my left shoulder whispering in my ear !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SWMBO is sat on the other !

They definitely don't hold their prices as well as they used to.

Out of curiosity I enquired about a trade in for mine two weeks ago. 63 plate, 6 months old, 1.2 S DSG. £12,000.

Absolutely. I've been told that SUK have (currently at least) instructed dealers to offer above book for 'desirable' Yeti's and CR170 would certainly fall into that category. My offer was £14K for a 2010 CR170 (38K miles) and 6% discount on a new Q3. (This isn't finalised and still negotiating but it's a pointer to what's around.) I think discounts on Octavia's ought to be more like 10% (have I seen 14% off DTD Yeti's, or was it Carfile?). But you may well need to buy and sell separately, buy from a broker etc etc - more hassle definitely but greater savings too. But I suspect that there's always going to be a significant hit selling at 6 months, especially if you paid close to list initially.

Sorry prodata I can't accept that. We are run by us as Preston Motors, yes we are a franchise of Skoda but they do not govern any part ex price, the same with any price barring the initial OTR.

Yes certain models are more desirable but it is solely up to each dealer whether than offer £1 or £100,000 for a car and the same will go for discounts, some do some don't.

• Like 3

When I sold my 15 month old 1.2T Elegance DSG with Sunroof in March this year I was offered £13500 against a new Octavia Estate. I got a better offer from trading in for a new Qashqai at £14500, still not good for an expensive not so old car with only 8500 on the clock. Depreciation is the cancer of cars.

• Like 1

When I sold my 15 month old 1.2T Elegance DSG with Sunroof in March this year I was offered £13500 against a new Octavia Estate. I got a better offer from trading in for a new Qashqai at £14500, still not good for an expensive not so old car with only 8500 on the clock. Depreciation is the cancer of cars.

Broker price for a 1.2 Elegance DSG + paint, roof is about £21K. Less £4.2K VAT and you got £14.5K for a £16.8K new car. That sounds much better! Although dealers are wont to forget the VAT factor and broker pricing when setting their 2nd hand prices (aka will charge what punters will pay). Meanwhile HMRC says thank-you ;)

Sorry prodata I can't accept that. We are run by us as Preston Motors, yes we are a franchise of Skoda but they do not govern any part ex price, the same with any price barring the initial OTR.

I'm sure you know the situation better than me. But I'm just repeating what I've been told by a couple of dealers. Perhaps something got lost in translation, so to speak, but that's certainly the gist of what was relayed to me and I can't really argue too much with the p/e offer (not that I won't continue to try of course).

As my old mother used to say - marry in haste, repent at leisure!! Same with buying new cars as unless you are planning to keep it for 5+ years then depreciation will always cost you far more than MPG or road tax. Can never understand why there is such furore about getting  a few more miles per gallon saving a few hundred a year while depreciation losses runs into thousands.  Basically tread carefully before buying then keep for at least 5 years to make financial sense of buying new. Otherwise if you really like changing every couple of years then always go for a pre-owned car as even one 6 months old will have lost a huge amount - as kerms34 has found out.

• Like 2

I think your dealer was looking to make a fast few quid at your expense. Look on the bright side, come the winter you'll be glad you kept the yeti for its 4wd and as impressive as the vRS was will you use the extra performance that often?

You could go the remap or tuning box route if you want some more get up and go which would be a lot cheaper.

• Like 1

Remap the Yeti, cheaper than switching to a VRS :)

I did get a quote to do this up to 220bhp ,,,,, forgot about it tbh, might be worth revisiting it

• Like 2

As my old mother used to say - marry in haste, repent at leisure!! Same with buying new cars as unless you are planning to keep it for 5+ years then depreciation will always cost you far more than MPG or road tax. Can never understand why there is such furore about getting  a few more miles per gallon saving a few hundred a year while depreciation losses runs into thousands.  Basically tread carefully before buying then keep for at least 5 years to make financial sense of buying new. Otherwise if you really like changing every couple of years then always go for a pre-owned car as even one 6 months old will have lost a huge amount - as kerms34 has found out.

Nicely put.

Apart from a dealer demo vehicle, is there such an animal as the oft reported '6 month old one owner' private sale?

About as rare as the 'reported' Yeti in my experience.

There is such a thing as one private owner that's 6months old, BUT you'll find the majority of these are ex vag company cars . These are the cars that the vag employee get to drive about in for upto 6 months and then they get new ones again. This is what generally feeds this market.

Yeah , they're dealer sales.

My local dealer had 2nd hand for more than new....different divisional managers.

Easy to get burnt.

Yeah , they're dealer sales.

My local dealer had 2nd hand for more than new....different divisional managers.

Easy to get burnt.

That might be the case down in the Antipodes, but certainly not in the UK.

There has been an explosion in the sales of the runout model which sold in minuscule numbers until the fire sale at massive discounts.

The base model 77TSI DSG was being sold for <£12K on road whilst the 2nd hand division had low km 6 month reg for~£13K.

I think mine would be the equivalent of the SE version discounted by £7K......couldn't pass that up.