What car would you get for

I have an opportunity to get a company car of up to £42k. My ideal car would be a used C63 AMG but the company car tax is horrendous. I'm looking at a CLA45 AMG next, at 355bhp from a 2L turbo it's quick! And tax is half the C63. Other options are an RS3 or S3.

Does anyone have any other suggestions? I have 350bhp from the Octy at the moment so wouldn't want less, or I could just keep the Octy as I can mod that to my hearts content (although I'm running out of mods to do).

Anything with decent power and four wheel drive will be better than your Octy as they have so much more traction.

Unless you only use the performance in relatively straight lines when already up to speed.

Are we talking new list price only here?

Personally I'd get the Golf R.

If I had to spend that much, an XF, probably a diesel because of my annual mileage. I'm not bothered about fast, so long as I've not got to put up with slow. 

There's so many things that could be had for less that would make me just as happy. though. 

Edited by StevesTruck

I'd certainly look at the Golf R400 if it were out but it's not yet, I'm not keen in the R tbh, would prefer an S3. I'm generally an on the move user of power. GTR is not really on my list but it's a thought. I'm interested in new and used but it makes no difference from a tax point if view I don't think.

• Like 1

A used VXR8. Starting that engine every morning would be awesome :D

It certainly would but the company car tax would be over £4k a year for a V8 or I'd have the C63 AMG. The CLA45 AMG is around £2500 a year hence the reason I suggested it. TBH it'll only be used as a weekend car so I'm finding it hard to justify a V8's tax bill.

It certainly would but the company car tax would be over £4k a year for a V8 or I'd have the C63 AMG. The CLA45 AMG is around £2500 a year hence the reason I suggested it. TBH it'll only be used as a weekend car so I'm finding it hard to justify a V8's tax bill.

Ouch! What is company car tax actually based on then? Is it emissions like normal car tax?

I'd certainly look at the Golf R400 if it were out but it's not yet, I'm not keen in the R tbh, would prefer an S3. I'm generally an on the move user of power. GTR is not really on my list but it's a thought. I'm interested in new and used but it makes no difference from a tax point if view I don't think.

New or used makes no difference, you still pay the BIK on the new list price and emissions of the car, so even a second hand GTR would be taxed on the new list price at the time it was new which would be really expensive. Work out the BIK carefully before you make your final decision.

• Like 1

The Mercedes CLA 45 AMG is really wonderful,

but if you are leasing you best go into the Mercedes Showroom, & see if you are going to get one Built as it comes and in Solid Red for £42,000.

It might just come in a bit higher than that.

A A45 AMG that is less with just a couple of options gets up in price pretty quick.

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/Drives/Search-Results/First-drives/Mercedes-A45-AMG-2013-CAR-review/

What about an A45? It's 4 wheel drive, 355bhp and still manages 40mpg combined at 161g/CO2. List price is £38k so you should be able to fully spec one for that money!

That's what I'd be looking at...

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/Drives/Search-Results/First-drives/Mercedes-A45-AMG-vs-Audi-S3-vs-BMW-M135i-CAR-Giant-Test-2013/

Edited by Oli3000

You could get a nice used Rolls Royce for £42,000 ?

Would certainly give your company image a boost, yes..

Ha ha I like your thinking, not sure what the employees would think.

I do like the CLA45 but it's right on my budget and I don't think there are many used ones about, if there are they'll still be expensive being a new model.

I've considered the A45 but I really like the CLA saloon more.

Hmm.

You are right, there are not many CLA 45 AMG in the UK & those that have got theirs after the wait are not in a hurry to get shot of them.

Mercedes is the place to check out just what is available, and not many will be the Base Spec, which is actually very good.

Have you checked out the Audi S3 Saloon ?

Edited by goneoffSKi
  • Like 1

I wish I had £42,000 to spend on a car!   Rather than going for the obvious status of something flashy, or a Rolls Royce, and possibly angering the workforce if they have had to endure pay freezes or cuts, I would be tempted to look at a lovingly restored Bristol.   They always were a very understated, undramatic piece of luxury with plenty of oomph under the bonnet and very much part of our rich, British motoring heritage.  

This little beauty, the "Bristol Britannia" with 5.6 Litre engine is on sale at £34K and a laugh which would leave you a few bob if you wanted to add anything to her,

1984-Brit-01.jpg

Never had a problem with people having company cars, as long as they look after them as if they were their own - sounds like you have an interest in cars, so you will undoubtedly look after it.

Whatever you decide upon, as my Irish mother would have said "I wish you health to wear it, strength to tear it and plenty of money to buy more!"

http://www.bristolcars.co.uk/Present/Sales/

Edited by bealine
  • Like 2