VAG competition for Yeti/medium hatch

fastestlouigie

4x4 but no raised ride height.

From Seat's own literature..........

The New SEAT Leon X-PERIENCE looks the part for every journey with its all road crossover design, whilst specific equipment ensures it performs too. The chromed double exhaust adds a sporting touch to the stylish exterior and with raised suspension and ride height means can tackle any road surface in comfort. Roof rails offer additional versatility, optimising interior space and giving you even more flexibility.

And What Car, and just about every other review mentions raised height ...albeit of 15mm.  But 15mm is 15mm if we're going to be picky.

You might have to do a little climb down there...

Every Leon X-Perience comes with the latest Seat all-wheel drive system. It sends its power to the front wheels in normal driving conditions, and then transfers it to all four when more traction is required. An electronic differential helps aid traction in corners as well. The ride height has also been raised by about 15mm to improve ground clearance. - See more at: http://www.whatcar.com/car-news/2014-seat-leon-st-x-perience-revealed-exclusive-pictures/1299872#sthash.IUUw2xWq.dpuf
Edited by oldstan
  • Like 2

Mmmm. 15mm isn't very raised is it?! Leon X-Perience isn't available in the UK till the end of 2014 though, so not actually a Yeti competitor (yet....).   ;)

Edit to add to those who are intent on point scoring: it was actually 24 posts along in the thread before someone came up with the fact that in the future there will be a Leon available in the UK that could be classed as a 4x4 Yeti competitor.... Now let's play nicely.

• Like 2

Fine, I'm wrong, I missed it.

I see some people have taken much pleasure about that.

However it will still not be a vehicle I would consider when I want to replace my Yeti, simply because I don't want or need 184bhp, and the 15mm increase in ride height is not enough for my potential needs.

However it will still not be a vehicle I would consider when I want to replace my Yeti, simply because I don't want or need 184bhp, and the 15mm increase in ride height is not enough for my potential needs.

There's a 150bhp version, and surely whether 15mm increase is enough or not depends on how much clearance you start with?

Your glass seems rather half-empty in this thread! ;)

• Like 1

There's a 150bhp version, and surely whether 15mm increase is enough or not depends on how much clearance you start with?

Your glass seems rather half-empty in this thread! ;)

The 150 is a quick engine, far better than the 140, although one or two Octy 150 4x4 owners including me (now previous owner) noticed some vibration from the engine on occasion but not enough to put me off mind.

TP

That doesn't mean that it (or the other cars mentioned here) aren't still competitors or alternatives to a Yeti.

It might not be what you want but not everyone has the same requirements - there are 2wd lower powered Yetis for example.

• Like 3

That doesn't mean that it (or the other cars mentioned here) aren't still competitors or alternatives to a Yeti.

It might not be what you want but not everyone has the same requirements - there are 2wd lower powered Yetis for example.

yup.

My Yeti is 3 years old next week, 1.2 engine, 2WD, don't think I'm going to change it but the Leon would be a serious contender if I'd not had 2 utterly awful Leons as hire cars recently. Wouldn't touch them with a barge poll. I'm doing a few more motorway miles now and the 1.2 isn't that great economy wise when motorway cruising but the only petrol alternative they offer is the 1.8 which is daft. A 1.4 Octavia makes more sense, or a Rapid Spaceback but you can't get Xenon lights on the Rapid for some reason so that one's a non starter.

May just stick with the yeti for now and hope there are no more failures as the warranty expires 4 weeks from today

How easily offended you Yeti folks are the guy just compared 2 bog standard VAG group hatches and you are all acting like he has murdered your family!!

WTF! :thumbdown:

Edited by loskie
  • Like 2

yup.

My Yeti is 3 years old next week, 1.2 engine, 2WD, don't think I'm going to change it but the Leon would be a serious contender if I'd not had 2 utterly awful Leons as hire cars recently. Wouldn't touch them with a barge poll. I'm doing a few more motorway miles now and the 1.2 isn't that great economy wise when motorway cruising but the only petrol alternative they offer is the 1.8 which is daft. A 1.4 Octavia makes more sense, or a Rapid Spaceback but you can't get Xenon lights on the Rapid for some reason so that one's a non starter.

May just stick with the yeti for now and hope there are no more failures as the warranty expires 4 weeks from today

Rapid headlights I find are very good, particularly since uprating the bulbs to Osram Nightbreaker Plus and the sidelights to their Cool Blue Intense (sidelights are on with both the dipped and high beam selected).

The TSI 105 is also quick and responsive in this chassis and like the Yeti gets a six speed box (Fabia has to make do with 5 speed), plus the Rapid has a 55ltr fuel tank, so can offer a decent range if you don't use the lead foot option.

Regards,

TP

How easily offended you Yeti folks are the guy just compared 2 bog standard VAG group hatches and you are all acting like he has murdered your family!!

Don't tar us all with the same brush! :notme: I like to see what else is available in a similar sector to the Yeti and will certainly look around the other offerings when time comes for a change next year. The main problem with the Yeti, in my opinion, is that the opposition has caught up, and in many cases overtaken it, in terms of quality and value for money.  

• Like 2

Rapid headlights I find are very good, particularly since uprating the bulbs to Osram Nightbreaker Plus and the sidelights to their Cool Blue Intense (sidelights are on with both the dipped and high beam selected).

The TSI 105 is also quick and responsive in this chassis and like the Yeti gets a six speed box (Fabia has to make do with 5 speed), plus the Rapid has a 55ltr fuel tank, so can offer a decent range if you don't use the lead foot option.

Regards,

TP

hmmm saw a green spaceback like yours today, looked nice

• Like 1

If you visit a forum devoted to a particular model and suggest that what people have chosen and spent thousands on could easily be substituted by a different type of vehicle how surprised should you be to find disagreement? If someone suggested your choiceof a volvo is a mistake and that you should agree how would you react? I cannot see any significant difference between your Volvo and a Lada Riva-you agree?

• Like 3

Not at all.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

I merely pointed out that the information given was incorrect, and corrected it.

I'm off to wind up the Fabia guys now.........missing them after selling my VRS.

• Like 3

I have to say I find it strange that anyone could be surprised that a Yeti forum is largely inhabited by people that like Yetis, are well biased towards Yetis and don't really care about what other manufacturers are doing.

I can understand one thread on possible alternatives (I was going to say 'rivals' but thought some might think I said 'Rivas'...) as they appear, but we do seem to be working our way through every other car that has 5 doors and 4 wheels - every one of them being perceived as a 'competitor' to the (mighty) Yeti. 

Personally, I doubt I could find a better car to give me what the Yeti does including performance, handling, build quality, view from, styling, 4x4, space, brown seats etc etc. That's my opinion and therefore it is correct. :happy:

• Like 4

Probably the next Altea will be more of interest to Yetistas regarding medium sized value VAG vehicles (IMHO the Octavia is now a "big car" at 4.6m long). If SEAT management wanted to compete more easily without their own Yeti version an Altea AWD would be pretty effective. SEAT seem to have a restricted option policy in the UK though - can be difficult to get the spec you want. Also trim levels - compare S, SE, FR with S, SE, SE Business, Monte Carlo, Elegance, L&K...

Unless Seat have upped their game since my leon FR  (an 07) was built Spanish build quality is not as good as Czech. Where are their products on the JDPower scale? If I'm right  what is the attraction of a less well screwed together VAG parts selection? My Leon was a cheap Mkv GTI in a spanish overcoat and was good once I'd replaced the springs and dampers and upgraded the brakes all for less than a golf of similar performance I've only seen one 4wd Seat, an Altea sort of dumpy golf plus and a very dull device indeed.

My Yetis have both been fun to drive

There lies the problem with our Volvo driving friend. His choice of conveyance tells me his fun comes from his other car(-Mx5) and that his saloon is purely an appliance.I stopped buying any car which I didn't find positively pleasurable about 25 years ago. I don't criticise those who do the car as domestic appliance is a worthy thing and the corrola verso I had as a loan car when my Is300 was being serviced was one of the least enjoyable days of my life. It got me home and I parked it until I went back to collect mine I had no desire to drive it at all. It was spacious, well equipped, economical, quiet and soul deadening.

I've driven for 43 years and the yeti still makes me smile!

• Like 2