Kessy

Hi guys

I will be ordering a new vrs in the next couple of weeks as a company car, I cant decide to order Kessy or not. It slightly puts me over budget which means I might need to change the spec, I just wanted some advise on how it works?

I recently test drove a Mazda 6 sport which has their version of keyless entry and when you walk away from the car, it locks. I watched a Youtube vid about the Skoda Kessy and it showed that you need to wipe your hand across the door handle to lock it, can it be configured like the Mazda?

Thanks

Gwyn

Nope, the VAG system requires you to lock the car either by using the key as usual or by the door handle. At least doing it yourself you can be sure when you walk away the car is locked, unlike the Mazda system.

My Audi has Kessy, and its second nature now using the door handle to lock the car.

Thanks for the response guys, really appreciate it. The Mazda system is good because you hear it beep and lock when you walk away. As a rep ive always got stuff in my hands especially when I'm staying in hotels. So I get out of the car in a tight parking space, grab my shirts and bags and then ive got to wipe my hand over the handle, I just don't see the saving in hassle.

I just wanted to check that this is how it works.

Thanks

Thanks for the response guys, really appreciate it. The Mazda system is good because you hear it beep and lock when you walk away. As a rep ive always got stuff in my hands especially when I'm staying in hotels. So I get out of the car in a tight parking space, grab my shirts and bags and then ive got to wipe my hand over the handle, I just don't see the saving in hassle.

It's probably just me, but I only ordered it because I'm used to not needing a key to start the car - i.e. the push button start (and stop) bit.  I've still got to use the buttons on the key to unlock/lock the car (BMW 1 series), and that's what I'm used to.  I may get used to the keyless locking/unlocking at some point, in which case it'll be a bonus.  Having said that, I do like these systems where you wave your foot under the rear end and the boot opens - as I've also ordered the powered boot, maybe I'll have to see if it is at all possible/feasible to wire something up to do that...  :nerd:

I have/had it on all my cars (mix of BMW and VAG). I wouldn't be without it, makes life super easy, no need to find the right key etc is so much easier when you have your hands full, even if you do have to swipe the door, that's a lot easier than fishing in your pocket and pressing a button.

Agreed I dont think its automated enough to warrant the expense, you also retain the same flip key as with the regular car.

I'm not a fan of Renaults by any stretch but their keyless system is very good. I had a loaner Laguna some time ago, wasnt mad on the car but did like that it sensed you putting your hand around the back of the door handle (by IR sensor) and unlocked as you pulled the handle.

It locked as soon as the keycard was a certain proximity away from the car and chirped/flashed the indicators to tell you it had locked.

Carp car, v good keyless system....though all said and done they were really the pioneers of keyless locking/ignition systems I guess.

I have KESSY and its one of my favourite options. Start/Stop button for ignition and touch sensitive door handles.

If required, enable the lock/unlock chirp in the Infotainment for peace of mind that you've actually locked the car. 

Its second nature to me now not to have to use a key fob. 

Edited by Farsider

I've got KESSY on my Octavia and it works really well. You can unlock the door by just grabbing the handle and pulling and you can lock it by pressing your hand against the outside of the handle. You can even use the back of your hand.

You can also open the boot by just pressing the handle on the tailgate and it automatically locks again when you close it. The only issue I've had with it is when you need to get something out of the boot after parking, you can't lock the car from the tailgate, so you have to go back to the front door handle. Not a massive issue though, I just like the fact that my keys stay in my pocket.

I just wanted to check that this is how it works.

Thanks

Gwyn, you don't need your hands to lock the car...you can use other parts of your body.

When my hands are full of stuff I usually use my right leg. I wear jeans but it's not a problem. :)

I have it and I really like it but it could be a lot better like the renault systems, by having a smaller key and auto locking.

Also, it works great for me on my own, I love not having to get the key out, but when you regularly travel with passengers it's just a pain because they cant get in until you open your door (unless you use the standard  remote locking of course)

but when you regularly travel with passengers it's just a pain because they cant get in until you open your door (unless you use the standard  remote locking of course)

It can be programmed to open all the doors instead of just the driver's.

Thanks for all the replies. All considered, I think I will go for the high beam assist instead. It's just a shame you can't configure it to lock as you walk away.

Thanks for all the replies. All considered, I think I will go for the high beam assist instead. It's just a shame you can't configure it to lock as you walk away.

If there is someone local to you with VCDS high beam assist can be enabled with a few clicks of a mouse, rather than spending £300 or whatever it is now....

thanks for the reply but yep I already know that

even with that option passengers still have to wait for me to open my door, before they can pull their handle though

I don't understand why that is such an issue. Without KESSY, they'd have to wait for you to press the unlock button instead.

I had 2006 Mazda FL GT Aero with keyless. This one needed you to press a small button on the door handle to open or lock the doors. Loved it. Hence the Kessy on my new Octavia. Just grab the handle to open and just touch the outer side of the handle to lock it. Start / Stop button for the engine - just love that thing.

Remember - I never need to take the key out from the pocket. By the way the key looks just like normal one, but the only hole you can stick it in is the passanger side airbag disable lock or something.

For notes. If it is possible I will never (never say never, but still...) buy a car without keyless option - just love it!

Remember - I never need to take the key out from the pocket. By the way the key looks just like normal one, but the only hole you can stick it in is the passanger side airbag disable lock or something.

And the lock on the drivers door of course.

Yeah but to use kessy I have physically get to my door before my passenger does!

Exactly, that;s what put me off.  KESSY is only really keyless start, it's no more keyless entry/exit than the standard system using the remote.