2.0 TDI CR temperature

On 12/10/2018 at 23:20, jafo said:

@Richtung

Install VAG DPF (free) and you'll know - one of the fields shows mileage from last regen. 

Also, have you smelled burned rubber when fan was on ? ;)

Thanks Jack - didnt know such app existed! Downloaded and ran it - it indicated a regen at roughly the time i was at the Pertrol station.

Did a 230 mile journey and again, the fan ran after switch off later in the evening - the app told me a regen was taking place.

Its quite addictive actually, im debating wether to fork out for the full version?

Rich

Screenshot_20181002-111451.thumb.jpg.8b14f4503a082daff0067c5448cabe0e.jpg

I think it's worth it :) there is an logging option - unfortunately it doesn't work when app is in background :sadsmile:

One more thing - I ALWAYS check idle rpm before switching engine off - and if it's higher than normal - I run app and go on a motorway to speed things up ;)

After a while you'll be able to "feel" regen ;) even when doing 70mph ;) just from a different engine sound ;)

Also, full app shows output temp - which can be more than 650°C - a bit too high for my liking ;) so I do few extra miles to let it cool down ;)

• Like 1

When the car needs help from the driver to regen, it'll put a warning light on.

Otherwise, assuming the engine is in good condition and frequently gets to operating temperature, the DPF should just look after itself.

The engine is designed to cope with shutting down mid regen or shortly after, if it's needs to cool down the fans will continue to run. There is no need to continue driving to let it complete a regen or let it cool down afterwards. All you're doing is wasting your own time and money...

1 hour ago, langers2k said:

[...]. All you're doing is wasting your own time and money...

The same way as I do full engine service every 10k not 15k ;) and 30k not 40k for DSG ;) and 20k not 30k for Haldex ;)

It is cheaper for me to use ~50p worth extra fuel every now and then, than deal with clogged DPF, EGR valve, etc.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jafo said:

It is cheaper for me to use ~50p worth extra fuel every now and then, than deal with clogged DPF, EGR valve, etc.

I'm all up for preventive maintenance but why do you think a partial regen would cause a clogged DPF or EGR?

I havn't got this app & in the 6 years i've had my 2l CR Passat i've only noticed the fans continue to run a couple of times at the end of a journey, & did nothing about it.

But thinking now, I would drive a bit longer & let it complete the regen.

If you think about it, the turbo will be super hot from the regen in progress.

When you turn off the engine, oil stops circulating, so the oil in the turbo will also get super hot & may start to carbonise.

This won't do the turbo any good & may eventually lead to it's bearings early demise if it happens repeatedly.

So i'd rather spend a few quid on some extra fuel than potentially damage the turbo.

Just something to think about.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Hello Guys,

I have Skoda Yeti 2.0L TDi 4x4. DSG 2011

I have the same problem and I already relaced all the thermostats in the engine but not those for the DSG.

I"m not sure if the recomended one Thermostat, Coolant OE - NUMBER 1K0121113A fit to my car. 

can someone tell me what is the part number for my skoda Yeti?

• 3 weeks later...
On 02/12/2018 at 00:00, zivC said:

Hello Guys,

I have Skoda Yeti 2.0L TDi 4x4. DSG 2011

I have the same problem and I already relaced all the thermostats in the engine but not those for the DSG.

I"m not sure if the recomended one Thermostat, Coolant OE - NUMBER 1K0121113A fit to my car. 

can someone tell me what is the part number for my skoda Yeti?

Hi All,

I order the part as showns in the prviose explanation and it's work perfectly on the skoda Yeti TDI.

cost me only 34$ from Germany brand.

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

Hi Guys,

Opening this old thread again - I've noticed the same on my car after it's service, where the temp gauge is fluctuating between 80-90 when driving, and the oil also doesn't get at high, only up to around 80c - similar symptoms to the others, although my issue is I have a manual CFFB. As all you guys seem to have had an issue with the 'second' thermostat, I intend to scan the car if that shows an issue, but in the meantime is it likely to be single thermostat I have at fault, or something else? 

Thanks,

7 minutes ago, MarkTB said:

Hi Guys,

Opening this old thread again - I've noticed the same on my car after it's service, where the temp gauge is fluctuating between 80-90 when driving, and the oil also doesn't get at high, only up to around 80c - similar symptoms to the others, although my issue is I have a manual CFFB. As all you guys seem to have had an issue with the 'second' thermostat, I intend to scan the car if that shows an issue, but in the meantime is it likely to be single thermostat I have at fault, or something else? 

Thanks,

The second thermostat is only for cars fitted with the DSG transmission. It does sound like you have a failed thermostat though. IIRC it's not an expensive part so may be worth trying anyway.

I'd be interest to know how you get on if you do replace the thermostat @MarkTB.

My CR140 oil temperature is normally in the 80-90'C range when at 70mph. If I'm sat in traffic when it's cold weather, the coolant gauge will start to drop below 90'C. I've often thought about replacing the thermostat but it's never bothered me enough :)

• 2 weeks later...

Did some logging tonight using VCDS, highest coolant/oil temperatures were 79'C and 85'C respectively.

That's at ~6'C ambient over a 75 minute drive, mostly at 70 or 50-60mph. Very much looks like the car is over-cooling so I'll get a new thermostat fitted given it's a manual not a DSG.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎20‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 17:19, langers2k said:

Did some logging tonight using VCDS, highest coolant/oil temperatures were 79'C and 85'C respectively.

That's at ~6'C ambient over a 75 minute drive, mostly at 70 or 50-60mph. Very much looks like the car is over-cooling so I'll get a new thermostat fitted given it's a manual not a DSG.

I've not managed to have a look at this any further, @langers2k did you manage to fit and did it solve the issue? Also, did you have the correct part no. to hand? From what I can find it looks to be 3L1 211 11AE?

Cheers,

Mark

Edited by MarkTB

@MarkTB - The garage fitted a new thermostat today so I'll let you know how I get on with it tomorrow.

The part number used was 03L 121 111 AE plus a few clips, seals and bolts. That's the same part number as you quoted but with the preceding 0 :)

• Like 2

@MarkTB - New main thermostat has fixed the cool running for me. Coolant temperature now hits 90'C and stays within a couple of degrees. The oil is generally above 90'C and I saw a high of 97'C.

Below is a graph showing the coolant/oil temperatures on my evening commute before and after the thermostat was replaced with similar ambient temperatures/routes/traffic.

Depending if you believe that 75'C counts as operating temperature (based on gauge showing 90'C at 75-105'C) or not:

- Coolant to 75'C is 19 minutes rather than 25

- Coolant to 90'C is 24 minutes rather than never ;)

image.png.d927ddffff960a96e93843aba11a4407.png

• Like 4

@langers2k I had mine changed Friday and has sorted mine too. My experience mirrored yours, coolant only getting between 75-80, and oil the same -  on my way home in traffic after it was replaced the coolant held solid at 90, and oil was up to ~93 again - success! :thumbup: Driving to Denmark the end of next week so didn't want to risk not sorting beforehand.

My mechanic did say it was a b!t*h of a job to get to though - although he did clean up my throttle body while he had it off. :party:

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

Hi, got exactly the same problem with skoda Superb 2.0 diesel 2015, DSG,  CFGB, it was happening last winter but during the summer been fine, never happened until 2 days ago when the weather drops down a bit. The coolant stays on 70 to 75 and the oil temperature stays between 67to 80 with the fan running. Yesterday when I started the car the engine light came on I traveled about 150 miles on motorway the coolant oil never reached to normal. This morning when I started the car it all the same. 

ive searches for the part but never find any to fit this car, 

Any advice pls thanks a lot 

• Confused 1

On 12/10/2018 at 16:12, Richtung said:

Just as a way of an update.

Changed the inline stat today - what a ball ache! I had to take off the whole pipe as others did and changed the stat off the car.

Started the car, ran it for a bit and then topped up coolant again.

Took it for a drive and water temp hit 90 (on the gauge) within a couple of miles and oil temp reached 90 soon after (both temps stayed stable).  Seems like problem solved!

Thanks for everyone;s advice on this!

I ran water into the old stat and water just poured straight through which indicates its open.

One thing though, after the car reached temp (after a relatively short journey), i went to the petrol station to fill up. After i stopped the engine and got out, i noticed the radiator fan were still running.

Now, the Passat does that on occasion (im guessing its doing a DPG regen) but im ultra paranoid that I've cocked up some where and the fans staying on after engine is off is a result of something not being right??

When i got home and shut the engine off, the fan didnt stay on this time? Im guessing it could have been be doing a DPF regen?

Rich

• 2 weeks later...

To @Skodaoctoviaestate2008 - Now You may see a little better fuel economy after change this thermostat :) Not much but if You travel a lot with faulty thermostat with every Kilometer You will lose some Money and it is better to give it for new thermostat :)

Yes, I can see that, cus I drive about 70 miles everyday. The car drives very light and fast now.  The cooler temperature reaches 90• only in 7 minutes drive.(temperature outside 13•)

oil temperature reaches 90• in 13 minutes drive. Fan rests a bit now unless it’s for dpf. Than you 

• Like 1