Fabia III Estate

Paul007

But what percentage of estates are "hot" ones, not all that high I'd have thought? I did say most people! ;)

I would agree with you, the vast majority of people buying estates are doing it for their load capacity not their 0-60 times. I am one of these people so although a VRS estate would be nice to see i would not be buying it.

• Like 1

Agree that french review does sound like an out of service tractor !!! Maybe not 1.4tdi then :sweat:

It does sound a bit loud and clattery but I'd wait until I've heard one in the real world myself before ruling it out. Could just be that the microphone picked up the engine above everything else and made it sound worse than it is?

Of course it could still turn out to a clattery olds tractor

My mk2 has the 3-cyl 1,4 (80hp) diesel.

Its certainly doesnt even come near to being the friend of the cousin to the whispering ghost, If I may say so, but it is tolerable to drive. You wont loose your hearing, but one can hope that the level of insulation is better in the mk3.

Partly explained by the mk2 being a "Greenline" model, maybe a bit lighter by saving weight through skinnier insulation.

Those buying a MK3 Estate - Beat this,  value for money and lack of competition! With 5 Year warranty of course !!(No worries it's a CTHE)

A Cracker:http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201412319874486/sort/default/radius/1501/page/4/model/fabia/price-from/13000/postcode/sn119rn/onesearchad/used%2Cnearlynew%2Cnew/make/skoda/usedcars/price-to/19000/quicksearch/true?logcode=p

Interesting comparison below -okay I added a few nice to haves.

http://cc-cloud.skoda-auto.com/CarCard/65705744

Sorry, couldn't get the Monte configurator yet, as it would be a better comparison.:http://www.whatcar.com/car-news/2015-skoda-fabia-monte-carlo-revealed/1334917

Edited by vrskeith

It's a good comparison and a good buy if you liked the vRS but it's an old model now so I wouldn't be interested.

I'm after a TSI 110 SE with no extras, I never spec my cars as you don't get the extra £1500 or so back that you specced on the SE L.

If you're not bothered about buying a previous model then it's a bargain for what you're getting, not sure about the 'last of a rare breed' monicker though, bit of salesmanship me thinks but a great car for not a lot of money.

• Like 1

Those buying a MK3 Estate - Beat this,  value for money and lack of competition! With 5 Year warranty of course !!(No worries it's a CTHE)

A Cracker:http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201412319874486/sort/default/radius/1501/page/4/model/fabia/price-from/13000/postcode/sn119rn/onesearchad/used%2Cnearlynew%2Cnew/make/skoda/usedcars/price-to/19000/quicksearch/true?logcode=p

Sorry, couldn't get the Monte configurator yet, as it would be a better comparison.:http://www.whatcar.com/car-news/2015-skoda-fabia-monte-carlo-revealed/1334917

I really cannot see the point of a 180 hp motor in a small car like the Fabia, unless you want to perform the meaningless first-to-next-redlight race. Its hardly a track racer either.

• Like 2

I really cannot see the point of a 180 hp motor in a small car

Because a powerful engine gives you choice - pottle along if that is what you want to do or still make good progress with a car that is fully loaded with passengers and luggage.  

Makes for a more relaxed journey where the engine won't be struggling.

Its not all about getting from 0-60 in sub 7 seconds. 

• Like 2

Because a powerful engine gives you choice - pottle along if that is what you want to do or still make good progress with a car that is fully loaded with passengers and luggage.  

Makes for a more relaxed journey where the engine won't be struggling.

Its not all about getting from 0-60 in sub 7 seconds.

For that torque would be an advantage more than alotta hps.

• Like 1

No Climate control, no Rear electric windows, No heated seats, no DAB radio, no 70+ mpg, no free road tax........

Think I will stick with my 1.4tdi SEL DSG Estate that has just been built thanks.

• Like 4

Nice enough i guess but to be honest now the Mk3 is out the older Mk2 estate just looks too old, i like the lines and the overall way the new estate has been designed but never really took to the Mk2, each to their own i guess but for me its still a Mk3 Estate SEL DSG.

• Like 3

I never liked the Mk2 Fabia. Too tall and narrow looking to my eye. I think the Mk3 is a lovely looking car, especially the estate.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Nice,

but i am confused as usual.     

As i understand it the new Platform with elements of MBQ mean that the wheel base on the All New but not new Type Aprroved platform is 5mm more than the old model, 

but there is less rear leg room in the 2015 estate not more, thats how it was when i got in one,

but then the Journalists are writing from the Skoda Media pack so accuracy is not a requirement..

?

Or is the new Estates Wheelbase more than 2,470 mm?  My bad if it is.

Edited by goneoffSKi

I don't think I'd notice a 5mm difference!

According to the brochure the wheelbase is 2470mm.

Quite honestly the biggest issue for back seat passengers is the size of the front seat ones, a couple of 6+ footers in the front and no supermini will give you much space, that's the nature of superminis. Bear in mind the extra room in the estate is due to bigger rear overhang, not a change in the wheelbase or interior layout of the seats, that's how the costs are kept down...

I see that the TG magazine reviewing all new cars (in my barbers, I don't know how old it is) completely missed the point of Supermini Estates, only giving the Fabia and Ibiza 4/10... No, you daft threesome, they haven't got lots of room like a Superb or Octavia but the point is they have lots more than the hatchback so marking them down because they are (by necessity) small is stupid... Perhaps it's just that it wasn't large and fast so they thought it is irrelevant... 

Incase a Motoring Journalist or Skoda / VW Spin Doctor is reading this forum i will mention the VWG Way.

eg.

With the Mk2 Fabia vRS Hatch & Estate,.

We were told for 5 years now that the Estate is 5 kg lighter than the Hatch Kerb Weight.

This is an a amazing freak of science.

The Estate is 9 3/4" Longer.

4000mm Hatch

& 4,247mm Estate.

So that is 9 3/4 extra Inches of Metal, Glass, Plastic & Carpet on the Estate.   & the Spring Poundage is different for the load carrier.

Then the Hatch gets 25KG of Success Ballast Bolted to the rear crash bar rather than putting the Battery in the Boot 

like they did with the Polo GTI.

So the vRS Hatch is lots lighter really than the Seat Cupra, VW Polo GTI & the vRS Estate,

but has the High Emission Figure & is given the slower performance figures so higher VED.

They even have the Estate as 1 mph faster than the Hatch.

It is actually faster because Traction is better with the better balance and rear suspension.

So,

Odd the Review on the New Hatch & Estate might not have the estate handling better in the real world.

But anyway, VWG Engineering consists of the Premium Brands cost more, 

so must always appear to be faster, greener and economic than the cheaper Brands.

Even if they are identical,

& be sure to make Running costs look less by manipulating the Service Schedule or Guidelines even on cars with identical 

mechanicals and consumables.

Vorsprung Durch Technik.

Engineering by Bean Counters.,

Instead of Engineering Suspension and improving handling, Design & Manufacture 25 kg of Weights,

Bolt this to the rear.

*Not very Green in 2010 Really to Add Weight as the rest of the Vehicle Manufacturers are trying to make vehicles lighter.*

Edited by goneoffSKi

• 3 weeks later...

Quick update on the Wife's Mk3 1.2 DSG Estate deliovered on Tuesday:

The car was presented to us in absolutely immaculate condition, I have had so called prestige (Mercedes) cars delivered in less than perfect condition, so well done the dealer! They also trailer delivered FOC.

As for the car - It certainly drives a better than the previous model. The handling is typical of the type (safe/understeer etc) It's clearly not "sporty" but feels more planted and does not lurch into corners so much. All in all it's good; easier and tidier to punt along in.

The secondary ride is very smooth and impressive, like you're in a bigger car. The primary ride is a little bit more pitter-pattery on the smaller road imperfections. However, overall the chassis seems quite a lot better sorted than before. I'm guessing the car is lighter? Overall, the car has a very grown up feel about it, quiet and smooth.

The engine has a bit more zip and feels as though it has more torque (more willing to pull) but too early to really comment on MPG or performance. There's no doubting, it's a sweet combination the 1.2 Tfsi & DSG.

We really like the sharper, more balanced exterior styling. I actually quite liked the old car but this is miles smarter, like a mini Octavia. However, the biggest improvement I think is the "tech" and the style and quality of the interior. It's really good to have a proper water temperature gauge (and oil temp' !!) for example, and the graphics are a HUGE improvement. 

We've not tried the "Mirror Link" as yet, but I dare say that will be good too, particularly if it's possible to "link" for Sat Nav off a mobile 'phone. My Wife loves the DAB and I think BT is a great addition. Seems like the car has been spec'd for business users?

The trim quality is a positive improvement, it's not VW quality but is a lot better better than before.

Negatives? - Can't see or think of any bad points except we were a little disappointed to find there's no rear electric windows (I see they are a £160 extra which I would have chosen had this been a factory order)

All in all, no suprises.................. from us it's a "well done Skoda" The Favorit/Fabia is evolving very well. For my Wife's purposes - (she needs a small, cheap to run auto estate) It's easily the best new car option available in the UK.

• Like 1

I'm guessing market research says Skoda buyers don't want square estates, and only occasionally load them up.

I'm guessing their research shows most Fabia estates only ever see dogs going to the park?

They should have spoken to me. Mine has has all sorts in it lately. 

• 4 weeks later...

Just got mine and after not finding any serious difference in performance between the 110 and the 90 on a test drive, chose the latter. Oh and petrol for me BTW because my usually local driving would soon mess up a DPF. Don't want DSG either; I know they have now supposed to have got it right but what about after one has done say 60000?? Anyway, stats say that there are more accidents with automatics than manuals on pull aways from roundabouts and traffic lights and another party will also be driving mine who has no auto experience. The seat folding bit in the back is not really an issue becuase the seat backs do fold flat but end up only 50 mm higher than the rest of the platform - certainly not a problem when one wants to take a load of rubbish to the tip which is what most of us do I suspect.

• Like 1

The seat folding bit in the back is not really an issue becuase the seat backs do fold flat but end up only 50 mm higher than the rest of the platform - certainly not a problem when one wants to take a load of rubbish to the tip which is what most of us do I suspect.

Seems a lot of people do not know you can pull up the seats, and the back rest will then fold flat. Try it! :-)

• Like 1