Thinking of buying a Roomster

hatuko

Hi! New to the forum. I need to replace my current car, a VW Passat 2001, and my brother in law was suggesting I look at the Roomster as it is roomy and a good car overall, despite the weird looks.... One question I would like to ask, is there anyone here who also owns / has owned / or anyway knows the Passat? I hate the very poor lighting of the Passat, I have tried a few things (I don't know much about cars) to no avail. Anyway I decided to change the car and was wondering how good / bad the lighting of the Roomster is in comparison? 

Thanks in advance

if you get one with the projector style headlamps they are not that great, adequate would be my description nothing more really

headlights are probably the biggest weakness of VAG cars (unless you can have HID's, but few skoda's have them)

some have had reasonable success using something like night breaker bulbs

Assuming you're talking about the headlights, standard bulbs very poor, but there are OK direct replacement bulbs from Osram or Philips that are around 100% brighter, for modest money.

Osram Nightbreaker or

Philips X-treme Vision; I fitted these to my Model Year 2007 Roomster a few months ago, relatively easy to fit.

And have seen on here they have further improved the light output of these bulbs very recently.

Hope this helps.

Yes, Roomster looks are an acquired taste, but the practicality, spaciousness within a modest size, VW build-quality, sheer value-for-money, reasonably-ergonomic Fabia Mk2 driving position, are all good.

Get one on extended test-drive?!

Richard

• Like 1

...adequate would be my description nothing more really.

That would be my description of the lighting, too.

I love my Roomy - but with hindsight, I would have specified the SE variant instead of the Scout.

The Scout has wide, low profile tyres that give a firm and noisy ride.

Otherwise, I cannot fault the car.

Bear in mind that a new model Roomster is likely soon. Should be deals to be done on current models when it happens. Who knows? the new one could have decent headlights.

Oh the loss of my 2000 Passat estate. Circumstances.  Took me along time to stop compairing. After six years with the Roomster, carn't do without it. I think the Roomster was well named, did what it said on the tin. I get all my sports equipment in, no problem. Everyone who gets in it says, "i carn't believe how much room there is in the back". Headlights, not brill, most put different bulbs in .   Just get a test drive and see how it feels.  :sun:

• 2 weeks later...

My Roomster is equipped with the standard H4 headlights (The reflector ones, not the projector ones) and the lighting was below adequate. Then I replaced the lamps with Osram nightbreaker and I asked my dealer to arise the light beam just a hair above the upper limit of the instrument that checks the light's beam (I do not know how it is called in English) .

HBA-5-01.jpg

I have perfect lighting and I am not disturbing drivers from the oncoming traffic.

Edited by stratosg

The lights were poor on the Roomster as they were on the Fabia..However they were changed for the better om YM 2011. models after that are excellent on night vision

• 2 weeks later...

The lights were poor on the Roomster as they were on the Fabia..However they were changed for the better om YM 2011. models after that are excellent on night vision

Do you know if a straight swap of the lights on my 2010 model for 2011+ lights is possible? without computer problems etc?

• 4 weeks later...

I've just traded in our 2010 SE 1.6 TDi CR 105Ps for a 2014 SE 1.2 TSi 105Ps because my wife was not doing the miles required of a diesel.

I think they're great cars in all respects.  Performance, handling, comfort and load carrying capability are brilliant!  Great value for money too!

Denis

Edited by skodaiw

• 1 month later...

Not unless you travel high mileage buy one of the new 1.2 tsi engines 86 or 105 bhp. I have the 1.2 tsi 86bhp and very pleased with it. Reading the problems, diesel engines used to be simpler that petrol units, but the problems mirror the posts I read on the Fiat Multipla Owners forum where diesel is king. The trouble with DFP filters, EGR valves, air mass flow meters, wastegates have put me off diesels and with manufacturers having to meet tighter engine emissions a lot of work has been done by manufacturers to make petrol more economical. Spending 10k can buy you a new 1.2tsi SE roomie.

Not unless you travel high mileage buy one of the new 1.2 tsi engines 86 or 105 bhp. I have the 1.2 tsi 86bhp and very pleased with it. Reading the problems, diesel engines used to be simpler that petrol units, but the problems mirror the posts I read on the Fiat Multipla Owners forum where diesel is king. The trouble with DFP filters, EGR valves, air mass flow meters, wastegates have put me off diesels and with manufacturers having to meet tighter engine emissions a lot of work has been done by manufacturers to make petrol more economical. Spending 10k can buy you a new 1.2tsi SE roomie.

I agree.

They do drive differently, the diesel is 30kg heavier and I notice it mostly when driving round bends.

All things considered I think I prefer the petrol as it has a wider rev range but I do miss the torque of the diesel engine.

Denis

I agree.

They do drive differently, the diesel is 30kg heavier and I notice it mostly when driving round bends.

All things considered I think I prefer the petrol as it has a wider rev range but I do miss the torque of the diesel engine.

Denis

Another factor is that the diesel is somewhat prone to torque steer - under hard acceleration it does fight the steering a little!

Know what you mean about missing the torque.  I was on the motorway in SWMBO's 1.3 petrol Yaris.  Came to the end of a busy 50mph roadworks section in lane 3 on a slight up-gradient.  Floored the throttle in 6th - nothing, dropped to 5th- nothing, dropped to 4th - nearly, dropped to 3rd - at last some acceleration!!  By this time I was doing a mere 55mph with lights flashing in my mirrors and the lane 2 train of cars undertaking me.  In the diesel Roomster floor the throttle in 5th gear at 50mph and the speedo rolls up to 70 in no time.

Different driving style needed!