New car quandry...to VRS or not to VRS

Hi, 

Currently running a Yeti Greenline as a lease car but it is up for renewal in a few months. I am thinking of going for an estate this time and was wondering if anyone has any experience of the following models:

• Octavia VRS tdi estate
  • Octavia SE Business Greenline III estate
  • Superb SE Business Greenline III estate

Car will be used for journeys to and from Stafford and also Inverness (from Teesside). Specifically would welcome any opinions on driving experience/dynamics and actual mpg and also practicality. Car will also be used for an annual family holiday to South of France.

Heart is saying VRS but head is saying either of the Greenlines - is the 110bhp unit in the Octavia better than the 105bhp unit in the Superb? (and yes I know its 5bhp better  :p )

Cheers

Barts

• Like 1

Why not also consider the 150 cr engine, maybe in elegance trim. That would be a good compromise between the greenline and vRS as it'll have considerably more poke than the greenlines, but will offer a more comfortable ride compared to the vRS and won't be that much slower, though won't have the 'character' of a vRS.

• Like 2

Heart is saying VRS but head is saying either of the Greenlines 

Which is paying - head or heart?  The MPG difference is almost negligible in terms of overall cost of ownership between these choices.  If costs is the biggest part of your decision then consider the tax bands for each (and insurance etc).

Also consider the way you like to drive as these cars are very different in character too. 

If you like a bit of poke get the 182 TDI (or the 150, as it's a damn  fine motor).

If you like a firm ride (oo-err missus) then the vRS is the one to go for. Elegance is more comfortable so if that's your thing then go for that.

If cost is the biggest deciding factor then do your sums and buy the one that makes the most sense for your wallet.

Regardless of our opinions it's ultimately your money you're spending so test drive all the options for a good 20 miles before making up your mind.

ed

Would regular long journeys not indicate that a bigger engine would make for more relaxed driving and more options for overtaking?

I would get another vrs, only thing going against it is the high list price.

I do about 45k a year all over the country, mainly motorway, and I find my Superb Greenline absolutely fine, my last four have all been the 2.0 TDI 140, and the Greenline revs lower than any of my previous cars on the motorway, 70mph = 1800rpm, so pretty relaxed really.

No real need for bigger engines these days providing you drive sensibly, plus the added economy of the Greenline over the 2.0 TDI. Mine has averaged real world just over 60mpg - can't complain at that especially given the size of the car. The OP is used to the Greenline 1.6 TDI so the swap between a Octavia and Superb 1.6 TDI is the choice really.

Edited by cnc

Hi, 

Currently running a Yeti Greenline as a lease car but it is up for renewal in a few months. I am thinking of going for an estate this time and was wondering if anyone has any experience of the following models:

• Octavia VRS tdi estate

Car will be used for journeys to and from Stafford and also Inverness (from Teesside). Specifically would welcome any opinions on driving experience/dynamics and actual mpg and also practicality. Car will also be used for an annual family holiday to South of France.

Heart is saying VRS but head is saying either of the Greenlines - is the 110bhp unit in the Octavia better than the 105bhp unit in the Superb? (and yes I know its 5bhp better  :p )

Cheers

Barts

There are a few other Octavia vs Superb threads on here on top of the two I've listed below, have a search and read.

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/278661-octavia-3-or-superb/

Another one here http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/262665-is-the-new-octavia-a-match-for-the-current-superb/

I had both the new Octavia and Superb FL on test for a week each, both 1.6 TDI, and went for the Superb. I prefer the sculptured Superb dash against the plain flat dash of the Octavia, plus the front end is a bit more stylish in my opinion, and its the car I wanted on the driveway, a bit more prestige perhaps. and its not as common on the roads as the Octavia which I also like. The Superb has a bigger fuel tank too.

I'm sure the VRS is a great car, but I've heard the suspension is a bit hard and the economy can be disappointing, this doesn't make for a great long distance drive compared to the other two cars. Having said that I haven't driven one myself so this is only my immediate thought.

A long test drive is the only way to ultimately decide. 

Hi,

I have a 2014 VRs estate and do about 30,000 a year, driving all over the country. Got mine in Meteor Grey, with black pack, put lots of toys on it, looks fantastic and people always comment on the colour, very unusual. 

In terms of driving dynamics its stiffer, corners better and crashes over bumps a lot less than the previous VRs, which I also own, I haven't driven a Yeti so can't comment versus that. Put it in sport, it firms up and is good fun. I have a bad back and find it quite comfy, the seats are fantastic and even 9 hours in the car is Ok.

Over the first six months, over 15,500 miles it has averaged around 53mpg, which I think is quite good, not in Greenline territory though. I tend to leave it in economy on the motorway, where it will average 60+, then put it in Sport when I am somewhere a bit more exciting. Only thing is in economy the throttle response is quite poor, expected I suppose.

Only thing I haven't found is headrest mounts for the kids DVD players, anyone know any?????

I went with the heart and don't regret it for one moment!

Cheers

Si.

• Like 1

Only thing I haven't found is headrest mounts for the kids DVD players, anyone know any?????

We got a Nextbase DVD player and just use the straps diagonally so they hook over the front seat.  Works a treat! Whether you can buy just the holder, I don't know but to look at it's not unlike this one

I've done 13500 miles in my vRS TDI Manual Estate and love it but the MPG is no where near as good as stated, I average 45ish mpg which still isn't bad for a big quick diesel.  Best I've had on long motorway runs is low 50s and the worst I had was 28mph on the Isle of Wight (horrible driving conditions for the type of car).

Depending on your driving style you'll find a huge difference between the 150bhp diesel and the diesel vRS.  In a straight light there doesn't feel to be much in it (figures seem to suggest this as well) but the brakes are nowhere near as good (288mm fronts I think versus 340mm) and the suspension isn't multilink meaning you can't corner like the vRS.

I've driven from Edinburgh to Stone a few times and it was fine.  We've also driven with 4 adults and luggage for a week almost non-stop from Edinburgh to the south of the Isle of Wight (2 stops - one for lunch and one for the ferry) with no complaints from front or back passengers.

The only thing I would comment on the vRS passenger comfort wise is you really don't want to sit in the back if you're car sick - the huge front seats are murder for rear passenger visability.

I've done 13500 miles in my vRS TDI Manual Estate and love it but the MPG is no where near as good as stated, I average 45ish mpg which still isn't bad for a big quick diesel.  Best I've had on long motorway runs is low 50s and the worst I had was 28mph on the Isle of Wight (horrible driving conditions for the type of car).

Depending on your driving style you'll find a huge difference between the 150bhp diesel and the diesel vRS.  In a straight light there doesn't feel to be much in it (figures seem to suggest this as well) but the brakes are nowhere near as good (288mm fronts I think versus 340mm) and the suspension isn't multilink meaning you can't corner like the vRS.

I've driven from Edinburgh to Stone a few times and it was fine.  We also drive 4 adults and luggage for a week almost non-stop from Edinburgh to the south of the Isle of Wight (2 stops - one for lunch and one for the ferry) with no complaints from front or back passengers.

The only thing I would comment on the vRS passenger comfort wise is you really don't want to sit in the back if you're car sick - the huge front seats are murder for rear passenger visability.

People mention that about my current Civic Type R when they are in the back.. They say because of how how big and bulky the seats are they can hardly see out, It makes them feel very sick, I keep thinking of jumping in the back to see how they feel.

I went for the 150 cr elegance over the VRS for these reasons:

I didn't want sports suspension as I felt a less stiff ride would be less fatiguing over the distances I travel.

I didn't consider the extra hp from the diesel vrs to be that considerable

Elegance trim with KESSY electric boot columbus, Canton and Sunset. I didn't care what other people see. It's all about my comfort and usability.

The 150 unit is enough in all situations, unless you want to beat a 320d off the lights (which I don't)

The seats in elegance are very comfortable and relatively supportive.

People mention that about my current Civic Type R when they are in the back.. They say because of how how big and bulky the seats are they can hardly see out, It makes them feel very sick, I keep thinking of jumping in the back to see how they feel.

Maybe it's the driving ;) certainly that's what SWMBO keeps telling me.

The other thing to take into account for the op with vRS versus other trims is the difference in the spec levels. Personally I hate driving cars without xenons now.

Although as a passenger the steering lights make me want to hurl I love driving with then.

• Like 1

With those sort of miles, an Octy Elegance 2.0TDI 150 or a Superb 2.0TDI. Or if you really must, a Greenline. Preferably the 2.0TDI though.

Id probably go for the Superb as it'll be a much better motorway cruiser.

The Octy has harsh enough suspension as it is, go for a vRS and you may possibly find it too harsh. Probably depends what you are used to though.

Maybe it's the driving ;) certainly that's what SWMBO keeps telling me.

The other thing to take into account for the op with vRS versus other trims is the difference in the spec levels. Personally I hate driving cars without xenons now.

Although as a passenger the steering lights make me want to hurl I love driving with then.

That was another thing with the Civic.... As soon as I got it the bulbs were changed. I may as well have had candles in the headlamps. Best car I have had so far was my Accord Type R with xenons... now that lit the road up so well. Can't wait to get the Vrs though from the ones I have seen come in at work the bi-xenons are amazing. 

Hi, 

• Octavia VRS tdi estate

Cheers

Barts

Will it be a company car or a personal lease?

If the BIK rate will hit your tax then that could be a decider.  (2015-2016 rates....  VRS TDI 21%, SE BUSINESS GREENLINE 16%).  From 2017 onwards it only gets worse at around 1% a year.

Get the vRS, its one less thing to wonder "what if" on your deathbed.

Regards

T

But the same could be said for anything couldn't it.

Get an Elegance, its one less thing to wonder "what if" on your deathbed.

If everybody went along with your thinking, the country would be nose to tail vRS'

I never got a vRS, and im not thinking 'what if'. Infact im thinking 'Thank god'.

All depends on what the OP requires.

I guess the only balanced view will come from someone who has owned both but in the shortish period of time they have been available, it's unlikely to find that situation too often.

As a VRS owner, If you're doing lots of miles, I would suggest max comfort over the extra geegees and go for a 'Berb'

• Like 1

Hmmmm,

Has the perfect car been made ?

Me thinks not and as they say, it's horses for courses !

We all have our opinions but these are based on what we like and any other preferences...brand loyalty, driving likes etc etc problem is, we think and and will vocally state our case....

I suggest you are asking the converted to his/her preference so won't get a balanced view.

How about test driving ( and I mean over a decent route and on your own) all the options and finding what works for you. After all, if there really was the best model, make or whatever, then surely that's what we would all be driving???

Steve

I have to admit before going for the vRS I spent so much time on Skodas website and in the showroom looking at the Octavia and Superb.. Then I thought to myself that as nice as the Superb is I would kick myself everytime I saw a vRS. 

So I signed on the dotted line :)

The way I saw it is that this is the biggest purchase of my life so I am going to get something I know I will be 100% happy with.

Spend a while and have a few test drives before you decide. I'm sure you will know it when you see the perfect model for you.

Edited by james e

Before I chose the vRS as a company car I drove eveything.

Evoque, Outlander, A6, E Class, CRV, Subaru XV, Superb L&K, Superb Tour de France. The vRS was the only one that made me smile whilst driving and I wanted to order as soon as I finished the test drive.

Try as many options as possible. Only you can decide.

• Like 2