Car vs Deer

Hi guys, new to the forum so hello all :-)

My wife decided to make a baby deer an orphan tonight (shouldn't joke really, she's pretty shaken up).  By all accounts it was a pretty big deer and judging by the front grill, it must have been.  Haven't been able to give the car a thorough look over as it's pitch black here in the sticks but the damage looks like it's limited to the grill and a few scratches.

Isn't it typical, we've been driving company cars for the past six years and never a bump or a scratch...!

Edited by WhiteChristmas

I know a Widow of a Garage Owner.

Her husband was driving a convertible when a deer went over the bonnet and speared him through the chest with a leg.

He was Stone dead & i never heard what happened to the deer..

No punch line to this one & it is a true story.

• Like 1

wow, she has been very lucky. Hope she is not too upset. I was called to one where the A pillar went into the passenger compartment such was the force. Please let us know about the damage.

Sorry to hear about the accident. When I hit a deer in my Mk 1 Octavia the radiator and aircon condenser needed replacing along with the front bumper.

My wife also did this, but fortunately it was a small deer (as in, not a young one but a breed that doesn't get very big). I was at home and she rang me to say she'd wrecked the car and didn't know what to do. When I asked what she meant by 'wrecked' she told me it had "split up the middle" which brought cartoon cars to mind, one half turning left and one turning right if you know what I mean. A bit more digging lead her to tell me that she'd cracked a bit of plastic trim that lay between the grill and bumper! :D I told her if there was no fluid coming out under the engine bay and it drove OK she should bring it home (after informing the police that there was a dead deer in the road).  

In the cold light of the following day though it became apparent that the bonnet was depressed, grill and bumper broken and the radiator was damaged, although not yet leaking, which put it beyond economic repair as it was old enough to have no real value (and she fancied an excuse for a new one).

Main thing is that your missus is OK.

Lucky if its a few scratches and broken grill from hitting a deer. They usually cause severe damage to cars and still manage to run away.

Unfortunately a broken grille on an O3 is a bit more than minor damage...... The grille is welded into the bumper and cannot be bought separately, I know, I've been there. IIRC the bumper is around £350 then needs painting and fitting.

Make you sure you check the radiator thoroughly. As I said, when my missus did it the radiator was damaged even though it wasn't yet leaking. I think the quote for all of it was about £1200.

I hit a badger whilst doing about 70 mph in a V70 D5 Volvo estate one night........I'd swear that the car actually left the ground!

Stopped, expecting to see a dead badger, but bloody thing nowhere to be seen.  Car needed new bumper, apron, radiator, grill etc - right mess.

Sounds like your wife got off lightly.

I hit a deer 2 winters back in my previous car (Ford Focus) and it took out the front right corner. Over 2 grands worth of damage and the drivers door never really sat quite right in the frame afterwards due to twist in the chassis.

Speed at the time was only 40mph as well, was glad I didn't hit it a few miles further down the road in the NSL section of road...

Cheers for your comments guys, after further inspection in daylight the damage is a bit more extensive than first thought.  The bonnet has been dented at the front where the impact took place, along with a crack in the front bumper (complete with deer hair still in it).  The plastic housing holding the grille and driver's side light is pretty broken in lots of places.  Not sure if the headlight washers are working either, after lots of windscreen washing I haven't seen the telltale mist to show the headlights are being cleaned.  There is also a whistling coming through the passenger side air vent which I'm hoping is due to all the excess air flowing through the front of the car.

Got it booked in for an estimate through the insurance company tomorrow - we'll see how it goes...!