Windows fogging up

As TsvRS stated just turn off the air con to econ.

The system collects moisture for some reason and on start up spews it out resulting in foggy windows, especially the front one.

My Octavia was really bad for 3.5 years to the point I thought about getting rid. Then I came across a post on here about turning the air con off (never done this in any other car) and blow me down its been perfect since!

If the car does start to mist up once warmed up I do still use the air con to clear it but try to switch back to econ at the end of the journey.

My aircon is on all the time, set to auto and I still mist up in the cold mornings. If I turn the aircon off at any stage, the windows fog up instantly

Just persist without it on for a while, just on econ on start up.

Switching the air con off for long periods just allows bacteria to build up in the system producing that damp, sweaty smell when you turn it back on.

Honestly on the Skoda system its far better off in the winter. The amount of moisture it pumps out on start up is a joke.

Try it without you won't go back, I haven't for the last 2 years.

All my other cars have always had air con on over the winter without steaming up but this Skoda system is poor, its been documented that the system doesn't dispose of the waste water gathered from using the air con sufficiently enough to have clean air on start up.

I've got a couple of seal puppies in the back from ebay and they really help. Also point the air flow towards the floor for the 1st 5 minutes helps as pretty sure the water comes from the air con when switched off and just gets projected on to the screen on start up.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-x-1-5KG-SILICA-DEHUMIDIFER-REUSABLE-MOISTURE-ABSORBING-DEHUMIDIFIER-POLAR-/171501334587?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item27ee46b03b

Edited by wiilydog

On a serious note i have just ordered 4 of the said items, absolutely terrible interiors when been raining or damp weather. But the good news is it is not only the Vw group of cars it happens to.

Silica cat litter in a permeable bag somewhere in the car + climate switched on AUTO 24/7 = No condensation issues.

I find if I leave my car running 24/7 it doesn't suffer from condensation lol.

But yeah some of them in the boot area works a treat too as we all know the Octavia loves dumping water in the boot (hatch owners only)

I find if I leave my car running 24/7 it doesn't suffer from condensation lol.

But yeah some of them in the boot area works a treat too as we all know the Octavia loves dumping water in the boot (hatch owners only)

Try a Ford puma, the rear tailgate is cunningly designed to dump the contents into the boot if you open it too quick.

Solution is to open it enough to let the water drain away before opening fully.

My Octavia estate and the new mito do no suffer this short coming of the designers pen :-)

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

But the MkII Octavia hatchback does.

The Puma was bad (I had one) but it's an issue with a lot (but not all) hatchbacks.

Especially those with lots of polish (and water beads)!

• Like 1

There is an article in this months What Car? magazine with an owner currently in dispute with Skoda UK on the condensation issues on his Octavia.

The MkII is renowned for this issue, an inherent design flaw I'm afraid.

But the MkII Octavia hatchback does.

The Puma was bad (I had one) but it's an issue with a lot (but not all) hatchbacks.

Especially those with lots of polish (and water beads)!

I could never work out if my fussy finish contributed to it (pooling of water) or helped (rapid run off when boot opened)!

OT but an epic little car, the like of which will seldom be seen again.

Off topic here...

I had cause to have the tailgate on my estate open for a couple of hours while I used it as a toolbox to fix another car in the rain.

Fortunately the rain was from an angle that the interior stayed dry however when it had stopped raining and I had changed out of my waterproof gear I got a right soaking when I closed the tailgate, the numberplate recess makes a lovely water collector... all down me!

So here's a tip if your tailgate's been open during rain, stand to the side when you close it and do it slowly.

Off topic here...

I had cause to have the tailgate on my estate open for a couple of hours while I used it as a toolbox to fix another car in the rain.

Fortunately the rain was from an angle that the interior stayed dry however when it had stopped raining and I had changed out of my waterproof gear I got a right soaking when I closed the tailgate, the numberplate recess makes a lovely water collector... all down me!

So here's a tip if your tailgate's been open during rain, stand to the side when you close it and do it slowly.

The curse of vans with an estate car type rear tailgate, deluge of water for the unwary!

All I would say is persist with the Econ button on.

You do get a lot of moisture initially but blast the heaters on full and it makes a hug difference.

When we first bought the car it was February 2013. So we went a few months getting a bit annoyed with the moisture on the inside windows.

Then when it started getting colder again we got the moisture bags in the car and keep Econ on all the time.

We still get a tiny bit of moisture but at least there's not water dripping off the windscreen now!

Phil

• 3 weeks later...

Just got back from the dealership. They were unable to find the problem but were very friendly... I think they even topped up the fuel tank because I swear I didn't have a full tank in there when I left it there on Monday.

I also spoke with my cousin, he used to own a (pre facelift) Octavia VRS petrol and apparently that was the one problem he didn't have, however he does have a serious condensation issue in his current Vauxhall Vectra.

One of my friend's father recently inherited a '10 plate VW Passat estate (after his dad passed away) and apparently his car has a problem with fogging.

• 2 months later...

You do get a lot of moisture initially but blast the heaters on full and it makes a hug difference.

When we first bought the car it was February 2013. So we went a few months getting a bit annoyed with the moisture on the inside windows.

Then when it started getting colder again we got the moisture bags in the car and keep Econ on all the time.

We still get a tiny bit of moisture but at least there's not water dripping off the windscreen now!

Phil

This is the answer! for anyone with condensation issues

Bought a little bag of tricks from B&Q for £7 and its been amazing, just chuck it in the center of the dash and boom, no condensation at all! Very handy as my pet hate is wiping windscreens with hands or even demister pads as they leave it streaky and you only notice when the sun comes out or bright headlights when heading home off a 12 hour night shift, not good!

Also my air con is not used during the winter months and this will be a contributing factor but the little bag defo has worked wonders :-)

Phil

isn't 'Eco On' just 'A/C off'?  My MKII FL with climate control has no ECO button but does have a A/C Off button.

The misting up is variable on mine depending on temperature and humidity. A long run (200 miles or so) with the heating on seems to dry things up. But short runs are bad and wiping the screen is necessary sometimes. I have bought a bag de-humidifier from Halfords and things are still OK with little or any misting. I leave things on 'auto' unless demisting.

SWMBO Getz also has probs unless a long run is done to ,again, dry things out. This car usually mists up in winter on short runs unless the aircon is used continuously. But after a run to Morecambe it is clear without aircon.

Edited by gregoir