Steamy Windows!

Darren09

Hi.

Had the yeti for about 5 months and since the 'cooler' weather has arrived i'm experiencing a problem with front windows/screen misting up. 

It has auto climate control and when i use it there's no problems (screen cleared and windows cleared too). The only issue i have is that the aircon is used with the climate control on auto, so when i hit the AC button to turn the ac off the windows mist up. 

Is it a case that for me to maintain clear windows inside i have to leave the ac on? Just seems a bit strange as in all the other cars i have had, even with climate, i could switch the ac off and fogging was never an issue.

I've read through the manual and can't see an information in there on how to cure it, makes reference to that fact that recirculation may cause an issue but i usually have the recirc button non illuminated (switched off)

Anyone able to offer some advice?

Thanks.

Darren. 

In all the cars I've ever owned that were equipped with aircon,  I've always left it permanently on,  for two reasons:  1. It ensures I never have a problem with misting up,  at any time of year; 2. it needs to be run regularly and frequently anyway to prevent the seals drying out and causing leaks.  The impact on fuel consumption is negligible,  so I switch it on when I get a new car,  and just forget it.  I've never ever needed a recharge in 15 years of driving cars with aircon/climate control.

(PS wretched autocorrect on computer insists I'm writing about zircon,  not aircon!)

Same here mine is always on.

In all the cars I've ever owned that were equipped with aircon,  I've always left it permanently on,  for two reasons:  1. It ensures I never have a problem with misting up,  at any time of year; 2. it needs to be run regularly and frequently anyway to prevent the seals drying out and causing leaks.  The impact on fuel consumption is negligible,  so I switch it on when I get a new car,  and just forget it.  I've never ever needed a recharge in 15 years of driving cars with aircon/climate control.

(PS wretched autocorrect on computer insists I'm writing about zircon,  not aircon!)

Interesting what you say about not using much fuel, I was told it uses quite a lot.

I normally drive with my window slightly down to let fresh air in, this normally gets rid of any condensation.

Make sure you have recirc turned off too!  I see so many people on the motorway with completely steamed up windows and some who even have a fog light on because they think it is foggy!

I too must agree with the above comments, always have the climate control on auto, set to about 21' all year round and it will sort everything for you.

• Like 4

AC is great for keeping the windows clear at this time of year, the recent damp weather and high humidity combined with the cold will cause the windows to mist. My Audi is exactly the same when I start it, but it clears quickly once the AC kicks in. I just leave on auto the whole time with AC switched on, car demists reasonably quickly and then remains clear regardless of the weather.

Just leave it turned on.

Problem goes away.

On my old Freelanders if you turned to distribution to screen and turned the fan on it automatically turned the aircon on: very sensible.

• Like 1

If you turn the aircon off and only have the heater on any damp in the condenser will transfer to the windows, it would clear after a time when it's dried, but as others have said put it on auto and AC on set the temp you like and forget it.   

• Like 1

I don't like using AC all the time, I find the drier air makes my eyes sore.

I use it in summer when the weather is quite hot, and occasionally to clear misted windows.

Note that the AC compressor will be disabled when the temp falls below a certain level (was around 3 or 4º on my Passat I think) to stop it freezing up, although the buttons will remain lit so you perhaps don't notice.

Also it's surprising how AC performance can gradually diminish over time without you noticing.

Earlier this year I had a recharge done on our ('58) Mondeo; I didn't think there was an issue but with long summer holiday driving coming up with kids in the car, I thought I'd get it done as it only cost £35.

The process sucks all the old refrigerant and oil, and refills with the correct quantities.

The printout shows how many grams of refrigerant and oil were removed, and how many went back in. 

On a car where I thought the AC was OK, I was really surprised just how little oil was left in the system, and how much refrigerant had been lost over time.

Made quite a difference - it blew pretty cold air before, but afterwards it was icy.

I'd recommend it to anyone with a car perhaps 3 years old or more, if for no other reason than to replenish the oil. It's a cheap task that could help prolong the life of your AC system.

It is one of the worst cars I've had for steaming up but leaving the aircon on helps.

Air makes hardly any difference to my fuel consumption in any conditions I've tried it. Maybe 1mpg but I doubt it. In summer a full tank with aircon on then a full tank with it off. 

First thing I missed (mist?) was my electrically heated front windscreen

when I went from the Focus to the Yeti.

Thank you for the tips regarding the air con. I hate being misted up.

I always leave the aircon on on my Octy.mdid a test in France, motorway drive with aircon on, same distance with it off, negligible difference in fuel consumption. I seem to recall reading that VAG do their consumption figures with it on. SWMBOs Doblo is a pig for misting up, first option I added to her Yeti was heated screen!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have to agree with the OP.  Mine mists up pretty badly when you first turn it on.  Demisters clear it pretty quickly but worse than other cars I have had.

Another here that has climate set to auto all the time. AC being on at this time of year dehumidifies the air reducing misting.

Set to auto with the AC button on and the system will switch the air con on and off as required to maintain the set temperature or if the MAX demist mode is switched on.  Air con won't come on at all below 3C outside temp.

Driving with window slightly open probably uses more fuel than having AC on.

Up to about 30mph a window open is more economical than air con.  Over about 30mph and air con is more economical.

Cheers

Rog

Edited by rriggs

Just leave it turned on.

Problem goes away.

On my old Freelanders if you turned to distribution to screen and turned the fan on it automatically turned the aircon on: very sensible.

Whenever mine steams up (almost never & I don't run the A/C all the time) I just switch on the heated front screen.

0-demisted in about 20 seconds.

Yep. certainly does :D

But I thought the Yeti was the same.....

I never turned off the air con on my Yeti as the car is pretty economical, even my CR140 DSG. well, more economical than my current TD4 auto anyway. 

I also had the heated windscreen which was great on those occasions as well.

I miss the heated windscreen. Maybe I'll retro fit it to my Freelander as it is a simple job.