Got front fogs working as daylight running lights

skippy41

Met up with Mike while he's up in Scotland on holiday, he plugged in his vds, and checked out my car found all 4 glow plugs had a problem 40k miles ago, cleared the fault and all ok, he then made the car one blip to open all doors, and found that you could get the front fog lights to work as DRL, while on auto and manual settings, they go off as soon as the headlights come on and can still be used as fogs when you pull the switch out. :clap:

That's pretty cool with the foglights!  I was pulled up by a highway patrolman here some time back who reprimanded/cautioned me for using the foglights during the day in the absence of fog.  According to him, they are too bright and risky for other drivers. Since then, I have installed aftermarket LED DRLs which seem to me to be brighter than the fogs but compliant! 

How do you switch them off?

Mine are on in daylight & it's annoying!

That's the whole point, its in the name. Its to make you more visible during the day.

How is it annoying to you if you can't see them from the inside?

• Like 1

I think they're good because it means complete morons have at least some lights on when its misty, raining, they have a car which blends into the scenery etc. I don't believe the number of idiots I see who have nothing on whatsoever in poor light conditions. I wish they made it compulsory to have dipped beam on all the time while driving so then the terminally stupid don't decide its not yet dark enough or wet enough.

• Like 2

I think they're good because it means complete morons have at least some lights on when its misty, raining, they have a car which blends into the scenery etc. I don't believe the number of idiots I see who have nothing on whatsoever in poor light conditions. I wish they made it compulsory to have dipped beam on all the time while driving so then the terminally stupid don't decide its not yet dark enough or wet enough.

I totally agree about the dipped lights and I drive with them on all time regardless of the DRLs.

• Like 1

Due to the colour of my car a blue grey, I have give up counting the number of times folk have just pulled out on me, the colour blends in with the road, so now they can at least see me. I don't have maxi so turning them on via VDS is the only way to do it.

I posted a while ago about SWMBO,s car 10 plate 1.9 tdi, that the engine symbol came on a few times, Mike checked that out and its the EGR valve possibly needing cleaning, the car has only done 20K, so any quick methods for cleaning it ????, given it a long hard blast in second for about 4 miles

..............Why, oh why, did Brussels ever pass such as stupid piece of legislation????

Mike

I think this legislation came from the United Nations European Commission and not from Brussels. 

Totally agree with all the comments here.

There is the other thing of cars now have so many automatic functions (such as pointed out auto lights and auto wipers) - it therefore make us think less whilst driving and therefore we are in some of stupid driving mode.

When self-parking and self-drive cars are common - we will become drivers that don't actually know how to drive nor be considerate to others - like now when u find more and more young men who does not even know how to change a flat or plug fuse! :-(

• Like 1

Of course it's illegal AND silly to have fog lights on all the time- read your Highway Code !   

I'm really pi**ed of with everybody who drives around with DLRs, Headlights, or Fog lights on in good visibility.  TOTALLY uneccessary, and if everybody did it, totally pointless !.........................................because  the ONLY vehicles who should have lights on all the time are motorcyclists - who are small and easily missed !    That's why they MUST have them on at all times - so as us silly motorists can see them.

Car drivers should only use headlights in daylight when visibility is SERIOUSLY reduced  (100 meters).   I think that should be the law for DLRs also.    

Totally amazed at all the car drivers who go around wasting energy (Yes, I know it's not much - but it all counts!) and making motorcyclists harder to see...................

Rant Over - But it does really annoy me !

Of course it's illegal AND silly to have fog lights on all the time- read your Highway Code !   

I'm really pi**ed of with everybody who drives around with DLRs, Headlights, or Fog lights on in good visibility.   TOTALLY uneccessary, and if everybody did it, totally pointless !.........................................because  the ONLY vehicles who should have lights on all the time are motorcyclists - who are small and easily missed !    That's why they MUST have them on at all times - so as us silly motorists can see them.

Car drivers should only use headlights in daylight when visibility is SERIOUSLY reduced  (100 meters).   I think that should be the law for DLRs also.    

Totally amazed at all the car drivers who go around wasting energy (Yes, I know it's not much - but it all counts!) and making motorcyclists harder to see...................

I'm really pi**ed of with everybody who drives around with DLRs, Headlights, or Fog lights on in good visibility. TOTALLY uneccessary, and if everybody did it, totally pointless !.........................................because the ONLY vehicles who should have lights on all the time are motorcyclists - who are small and easily missed ! That's why they MUST have them on at all times - so as us silly motorists can see them.

Car drivers should only use headlights in daylight when visibility is SERIOUSLY reduced (100 meters). I think that should be the law for DLRs also.

You can't turn drls off on most modern vehicles, I agree with the fog lights being stupid

Just don't think it looks cool & can"t see how it makes a bloody big estate car more visible! ;-)

In Scandinavia and Baltics it`s obligatory to use the lights or DRL-s 24/7. For about 20 years now.

So I was out yesterday morning and it was really misty and foggy. I couldn't believe about 30% of all cars had no lights on at all. I'm not surprised they passed the laws on DRLs as too many idiots can't be trusted to do the sensible thing. I even saw quite a few new cars where the owners had quite obviously disabled the DRLs.

I don't buy the crap it makes bikers less visible. If a biker is hidden by a car coming down the road, well, then don't pull out as there's a car coming down the road...

We can on my Skoda !....................

On any NEW model type approved since DRL's became mandatory they cannot be disabled or switched off unless you pull out a fuse. (note: facelifts don't count). This is why the MK3 Octy has always on DRLs, but the Superb MK2 and facelift do not. Likewise the Fabia MK3 is based on the MK2, so did not go through type approval so DRL's are not mandatory on that model.

And not one person has mentioned that bright moving LIGHTS are much easier to see than a dull moving SHAPE for anyone with visual impairment. It only needs ONE blind or nearly blind pedestrian to see a lit car coming towards them to make the whole concept of lights during the day worth it.

Mike

I do believe that the DRL came from studies conducted in firstly Scandinavian countries that clearly showed that people driving cars, riding bikes/motor bikes and pedestrians were more likely to see a car with DRL's than one without.

DRL's are here to stay, better get used to them folks.

I remember similar moans with the fitment of rear fog lights, seatbelts etc.

Also people moaning about those pesky 'interfering' electrical safety systems; ABS, traction control, stability control etc. etc.

Just turn on the DRL's. Set and forget.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

How does something that isn't actually visible in say, a side mirror, make a car more visible? having to look down to see them nullifies any real usefulness.

Any evidence they do contribute to road safety over & above auto headlights?

On any NEW model type approved since DRL's became mandatory they cannot be disabled or switched off unless you pull out a fuse. (note: facelifts don't count). This is why the MK3 Octy has always on DRLs, but the Superb MK2 and facelift do not. Likewise the Fabia MK3 is based on the MK2, so did not go through type approval so DRL's are not mandatory on that model.

I can turn my DRL's off via  the car settings on the Radio, under lights, tick/untick the DRL's box    :yes:   ( MKIII Vrs )