Must Have Options

May leave a VRS

What are the must have options.

Looks like though if I do spec any, it will delay the order as it'll be factory built :-/

Are xenons standard

Also, is it the lane guidance that needs speccing to get the road signs speed limit showing on the dash?

Thanks

Xenons are standard, yes. For me, DSG (which I didn't pick but now regret), winter pack (for the heated screen) and spare wheel are must haves. Everything else is dependant on your tastes.

My opinion, of course.

• Like 1

Do what I did, ring round dealers and see who has ghost orders available. There were a few around and I picked what was the best match.

I got the colour I wanted and sat have, winter pack, black pack and the all important spare tyre. Three weeks to deliver it if I take it home one week tomorrow as planned.

It's worth a go, especially if you are not sure what you want, that equates to me that you don't have any stronge wants.

• Like 1

Agree with those above - spare tyre.

Lane guidance is standard (but questionable in operation. Some like it, some don't) Road sign recognition uses the LG camera I believe. Its an option but can be also be coded. Sat nav will display speed limits if you spec that.

Heated seats are good, as is the heated screen although the little elements catch the glare of cars coming the other way at night. Not sure if its worth it as it might only be frosty a handful of times a year.

DSG, personal choice. Not for me personally (MT is very smooth), and it dents the MPG figure. I'm not sure why it seems only BMW autos actually match or improve on manual economy.

Black pack is nice IMO.

Personally the only extra to my car I'd spec which I don't have would be Canton speakers. The standard ones are pretty poor to be honest.

Edited by 73henny
  • Like 1

Wheels.  Get the ones you like the most in the brochure.  Easy to change later but will add to cost.  Simple option but makes all the difference to the look of the car.

+1 on the spare wheel, BTW

• Like 1

Must haves...Spare wheel, Canton (if you like your music!), Electric Folding Mirrors (I couldn't spec as a standalone when I ordered mine had to get electric seats as well but you can now)

I went for Amundsen which I think is very good in comparison to other integrated sat navs.

Black pack - personal preference but a must have in my opinion.

Wheels defiantly personal choice and I regret not speccing the 19s!

Sunset glass is ok but not a proper tint as some might think.

I've just got a Leon FR with the colour maxi dot and now I wish I had ordered it in my vRS but only because I've seen it in the Leon! But for £80 it's worth it.

Hope that helps!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies.

Surprised the standard speakers are poor, they are good on the MK2.

Well I added Columbus sat Nav and high beam assist on to the quotation and it went up £70 odd a month.

I'm in a pretty standard VRS now and happy with it so I'll just have to forget about the sat Nav and high beam assist if I do order. Least the xenons are standard and the only thing to consider is the black edition pack, but it pits 8 weeks on the order time!

Cheers

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk the free non retired version!

Edited by aldouk

Xenons are std on the RS (a must have imo), but aside from that, canton and pano roof (assuming you're getting an estate?) are the next two picks. Adaptive cruise is useful if you do lots of miles. Most of the rest of the options (aside from spare wheel) are toys really :)

• Like 1

Well I added Columbus sat Nav and high beam assist on to the quotation and it went up £70 odd a month.

From what I've read, the high beam assist can be coded on any car with Lane assistant (standard on the vrs). i wouldn't order it with the car but rather get it coded by a someone local to you with vcds for a few beer tokens

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I speced Columbus, canton, heated seats, colour maxidot, sunset glass for my vrs estate

I'd happily spec them all again although I would probably add the whole black pack not just the grill next time. And I would get the winter pack which wasn't available with a heated screen on the tsi when I bought mine

• Like 1

And I would get the winter pack which wasn't available with a heated screen on the tsi when I bought mine

Yep me too - I was disappointed that the winter pack wasn't available on the tsi (last car had heated screen) and it'd be really useful now it's coming in cold. It's one of those things you don't miss if you've not had it but but really do if you have.

+1000 on spare wheel btw

• Like 1

I spec'ed a fair few extras but 6 months in, I'd say...

Essentials I spec'ed: spare wheel, satnav of some sort, variable boot floor (if estate)

Essentials I didn't spec: Canton

Personal must haves: leather + heated seats, DSG + ACC, Xenons (standard on my car)

• Like 1

Agree with those above - spare tyre.

Heated seats are good, as is the heated screen although the little elements catch the glare of cars coming the other way at night. Not sure if its worth it as it might only be frosty a handful of times a year.

I bought the winter pack to get the heated screen. I think it is an essential option on a VAG car to get rid of the condensation that builds up on the inside of the front screen at this time of the year.

I have mine set to come on whenever I press the "demist" button. It's brilliant.

• Like 1

What i classed as must have options:

As others spare wheel.

Sat nav, (Amundsen) not columbus IMO, too much upgrade cost from standard.

Sunset pack.

Canton upgrade.

Winter pack.

Leather is very nice, with heated seats, would not fancy it without, as it starts to get colder.

Colour Maxidot.

Get someone who has VCDS to add some free upgrades already in the car for you: (Add beer chit)

Dipping NS mirror when placed into reverse.

Cornering fog lamps (Both bulbs).

Lap timer (Might come in useful one day?).

High beam assist, its a great addition -Works instantly with other cars coming (Only with lights set in Auto mode).

Have rear lights enabled when just on DRL's.

Lane assist is standard, but had to get someone with VCDS to get it enabled.

• Like 2

I dont believe in throwing lots of optional spec at these cars as whilst v nice dors detract from the value for money they offer at their base pricing; also Ive found my 2.0 TDI Elegance has dropped like a stone in value (considerably worse than my Mk2 vRS) so only too glad the only thing I added was a spare wheel.

That being said I dont much like the standard speaker system, doesnt sound at all bad just doesnt go v loud. Had some wierd sound suppression on it to stop you assumably overdriving the speakers, sadly its v obvious and limits output quite dramatically on bassy tracks.

If I could have my time again in all honesty i'd have ordered another vRS TDi, probably a hatch as I no longer have a need for an estate, also as well as a spare wheel I would opt for Canton just to improve the sound system situation.

Not sure I would bother but can also see value in the Winter Pack (heated seats, screen and washers) and Bluetooth + options, electric seats might also be worthwhile over something like nav for the better pneumatic lumbar supports and folding mirrors (though these are now a cheap standalone option).

I dont think id bother having nav unless it was included, the Amundsen is pretty buggy and not the best navigator. Id probabaly just use a decent smartphone app that can bluetooth instructions to the cars speakers.

• Like 1