Dmf (Flywheel)

turnedlight

If that was the case then the fault would be common, on Yeti's, and it isn't.

Do you have any evidence for your comment?

That's not neccessarily true, it may turn out to be common on yetis, we don't know yet as there aren't many as old as ours, we were among the first to buy.

Edited by turnedlight
  • Like 1

That's not neccessarily true, it may turn out to be common on yetis, we don't know yet as there aren't many as old as ours, we were among the first to buy.

Yeti's have been on the market in the UK for 5+ years, so I think if this was a common problem it would have come to light by now.

• Like 1

If that was the case then the fault would be common, on Yeti's, and it isn't.

Do you have any evidence for your comment?

Using cheap parts on many products these days is becoming more the norm to keep costs down.

If its classed as "not an uncommon fault" there must be a good reason for it. What else would you think was causing it? 

Using cheap parts on many products these days is becoming more the norm to keep costs down.

If its classed as "not an uncommon fault" there must be a good reason for it. What else would you think was causing it? 

Poor clutch use.

Inappropriate use.

Poor driving.

Are they using cheap parts in the Yeti DMF? There seems to be no evidence of that, as this fault is not common on the Yeti. By implication, if your comment was correct it would be much more prevalent.

What do you drive?

• Like 1

None of my previous cars have ever needed a DMF, all were brand new and all travelled well over 100k miles in three years, never an issue.

The BMW I have now had 14k miles on when I got it and it has just had a new DMF with 36k miles on it.

I think DMF's fail because of the way they are treated, who knows how my BMW was treated in the first 14k miles, it was used as a pool car for 6 months and was a car for a sales rep before that (female if that makes any difference)

Maybe it is linked to driving style or lack of it.

• Like 1

Poor clutch use.

Inappropriate use.

Poor driving.

Are they using cheap parts in the Yeti DMF? There seems to be no evidence of that, as this fault is not common on the Yeti. By implication, if your comment was correct it would be much more prevalent.

What do you drive?

I'm not having a go at the Yeti, in fact I'm looking at replacing my XC60 with one, hence joining this forum.  It just surprises me that, as you said in post 2, its not uncommon for these to fail. Other comments in this thread support this.

If I have upset you with my comments, then I'm sorry, it was not intended.

The DMFS in my experience tend to get knackered with start stop heavy clutch usage it also depends on the vehicle. VX vans are notorious for shredding them, not down to the driver just how they were made same as early Transit mk6s but never heard of a Yeti damaging one. It's all possible I suppose.

I'm not having a go at the Yeti, in fact I'm looking at replacing my XC60 with one, hence joining this forum.  It just surprises me that, as you said in post 2, its not uncommon for these to fail. Other comments in this thread support this.

If I have upset you with my comments, then I'm sorry, it was not intended.

You've mis-read what I wrote earlier, but no offense taken.

There have been faults with DMF's in other cars, but not with the Yeti. I've been here for over 4 years and doubt I've seen more than 3 reported faults, and invariably it is on forums that you first get to hear of them. My Yeti has done 87k miles, towing caravans, been driven through floods deeper than Skoda recommend, and is regularly driven for long periods in first or second at slow speed off-road; all supposedly bad for DMFs and yet there seems to be no problem with mine.

Previously I ran Freelanders for 7 years, both of which did approaching 100k miles, both of which had far worse treatment that the Yeti gets, and neither of them had problems with their DMF's either. The biggest problems I hear about are with Fords and Vauxhalls, and certainly not VAG. Perhaps we just have better drivers!

• Like 3

There I was thinking this was a 'sophisticated' European problem but in fact the yanks and almost everyone has this potential problem.

The 'improvement' would need to be significant to be worth the potential for owner dissatisfaction and brand reputation threat.

Has anyone done a conversion and noticed a smf being unacceptably noisy?

You've mis-read what I wrote earlier, but no offense taken.

There have been faults with DMF's in other cars, but not with the Yeti. I've been here for over 4 years and doubt I've seen more than 3 reported faults, and invariably it is on forums that you first get to hear of them. My Yeti has done 87k miles, towing caravans, been driven through floods deeper than Skoda recommend, and is regularly driven for long periods in first or second at slow speed off-road; all supposedly bad for DMFs and yet there seems to be no problem with mine.

Previously I ran Freelanders for 7 years, both of which did approaching 100k miles, both of which had far worse treatment that the Yeti gets, and neither of them had problems with their DMF's either. The biggest problems I hear about are with Fords and Vauxhalls, and certainly not VAG. Perhaps we just have better drivers!

It's interesting that this is the case, as I don't believe VAG keep a special stock of Yeti engines and gearboxes. I'm not disagreeing with you, I'm just wondering why that is the case. It might be because the relative population of Yetis is low so it's easy to drown in horror stories of Fabias and Octavias or it might be because the body of the Yeti just happens to minimise the vibration. Or it could be the wrinkles who drive them just drive differently, in a way that doesn't destroy them as easily. I also note you don't get many DMF issues in Roomsters.

• Like 1

A B8.5 is an A4 with a mechanism in the car to create artificial engine noises because it is sooooo quiet/to make "your driving experience a more aural pleasure"!

Please note the spelling of the penultimate word above.

• Like 1

The biggest problems I hear about are with Fords and Vauxhalls, and certainly not VAG.

Plenty of DMF troubles on VAG cars too...read numerous posts about them in my time on other VW and Seat forums.

Like Huskoda says, perhaps the lack of reported issues with Yetis is either just that they're a relatively uncommon car, or the because of the "wrinkles that drive them" (his words not mine!), or quite possibly a combination of the two.

Perhaps also there's a lower incidence of DMF failures on the newer CR-engined TDIs, since they don't have the aggressive low-down torque peaks of the older PD engines ?

• Like 1

Hi Huskoda, am I to presume that your word 'wrinkles' could refer to us oldies (I'm over 70). Joke?

I reckon, if there was a major or continuing problem it would be more in print throughout the motoring sector

and not just the odd couple reported on helpful forums like this one.

I don't know much but, If there was major faults then dealers would soon kick up a stink as well a owners.

If we stripped out all the devices that have in recent years made cars quieter,  smoother,  more fuel efficient and safer,  then there would be a hell of a lot less to go wrong.  But do we really want to go back to the dark ages of smoke,  grease and grime,  noise and vibration,  regular decoking and valve grinding,  decaying bodywork and a much higher casualty rate in road accidents?  I don't think so!  But for all these advances there will be a price to pay,  and modern technology is not foolproof.  If you hate DMF's,  by all means strip them out;  but don't then complain about the increase in noise, harshness and vibration that will inevitably follow.

• Like 4