Mirrorlink Update

So you just want to sellotape a tablet to your dashboard then? :)

Basically, yeah!  :D

Though obviously it'd be a tablet that controlled all of the car stuff as well.

I was aware of the BMW internet stuff as I've specced up a very expensive 3 series with all of that gubbins on their configurator (before realising I couldn't afford it, natch). That's the sort of thing really - imagine a Columbus doing all the stuff it does now but with the added bonus of being able to run angry birds.

Edit - I think Volvo might do their own version of this as well nowadays.

Unfortunately VW seems to have chosen MirrorLink in favor of CarPlay...which is a shame IMO...there shouldn't be any technical reason there couldn't be support for both, at least other manufacturers support both.

Probably also because Mirrorlink is open source (so I guess its free) and AirPlay is from apple so a license costs the same as a TomTom for every driver.

The Yeti is getting a  infotainment upgrade across the board,The new generation of the Bolero infotainment system no CD simular to the  update portal  and the Amundsen model is also being replaced again no cd all from wK 45/46.

So will be interesting when my ordered Yeti arrives next spring if an update/upgrade are available

This is all still a massive step ahead of the updates that are available for the MK2 Octavia and current Superb Columbus units. Only option there is by an expensive DVD (officially anyway).

I think that Skoda are offering free downloadable updates is a great idea.

What connection have you got and also how much are you paying for your 10gb limit?! An unlimited broadband connection is far from expensive these days.

With my current speed 21gb would take approximately 70 minutes.

Phil

It only took 37mins for me to download .... Yet to do the update.

Because mirrolink is a universal standard that has been around for longer. Carplay is Apple exclusive... once again apple wants their own standard!

It looks like Android phones are getting "Android Auto" as their CarPlay like feature, so MirrorLink might get a backseat...

And as for standards, I really don't care which standard is open and which closed, I'd just like for anyone to be able to use their smartphone features with any car they choose to buy. Companies bickering over licenses shouldn't impede user experience. I'm not about to change my car or phone choice based on the other, so limited feature support is something I'll have to live with...but that doesn't mean I have to be happy about it.

Probably also because Mirrorlink is open source (so I guess its free) and AirPlay is from apple so a license costs the same as a TomTom for every driver.

I doubt the license is that expensive, if third party auto audio manufacturers are implementing it in their relatively inexpensive car stereos. Considering MirrorLink, Bluetooth and navigation functions already cost a fair amount, it would be reasonable to include CarPlay and Android Auto support...or at least offer it as an option if it's really that expensive for VW.

Why do I think support for such smartphone integration is needed you ask? Because the UI on most in car entertainment/navigation systems is about a decade behind smartphone/tablet UIs. 

I still don't know why everyone is going on about MirrorLink, which I haven't seen as being confirmed available for the O3 at any point.

SmartGate has been on the option list since BW45 though ............

The Update Portal mentions a MirrorLink upgrade for Columbus and it only lists one Amundsen - 6.5" screen, no DVD drive but with MirrorLink. That must be the Gen2 (Yeti only model). The picture shows the 5.8 inch version though.

And what if the MirrorLink upgrade exists, what should you do if the car is delivered with Mitsumi instead of USB ??

amundsen.png

Amundsen

In addition to a radio and satnav, through the Amundsen infotainment satnav it is possible to control the car’s settings using the Car button on the control panel, without the necessity of a Maxi DOT display. Properties of the Amundsen navigation system:

• 6.5” high-capacity colour touch-screen TFT display supporting multi-touch
  • MirrorLink™
  • Bluetooth® and text messages
  • Reception of AM/FM frequency bands and DAB
  • Aux-In
  • Two SD card slots
  • 2.5 D satnav
  • Bluetooth® audio streaming
  • Surround sound settings
  •  

You can also use the Amundsen infotainment system to access the MyDestinations web application, which lets you generate Special Destinations (vCard), an Image with GPS coordinates (where you can use the navigation) as well as the option of preparing particular points of interest (PPOIS) for putting in your GPS.

Updates available for Amundsen infotainment navigation:

• Bluetooth®
  • Maps
  • Radio station logos
  • MirrorLink®

User manual for device Amundsen

Edited by strandgaard

That is the generic blurb though. What happens when you put a valid chassis number in?

If you follow the link for the list of supported devices and choose an O3 with Columbus manufactured between 04/11/13 and 03/11/14 and then choose a phone that supports MirrorLink such as a HTC One M8 there is no mention of MirrorLink functionality.

Do it again with a Columbus after 03/11/14 and still no mention.

Someone must have a chassis number of a O3 manufactured after 03/11/14 with a Columbus in it to give that a try and see if anything different happens. Interesting that the only Gen2 MIB unit being fitted to the O3 after 03/11/14 is the Entry Plus.

post-61868-0-97153500-1416429527_thumb.png

I would love to be proved wrong and all of sudden MirrorLink is available as a firmware update, but that would be dealer only anway as SVM kicks in after a firmware update.

Also, if you choose the new Fabia it shows you what the Gen2 Amundsen/Bolero looks like.

post-61868-0-53946900-1416429854_thumb.png

• Like 1

The Update Portal mentions a MirrorLink upgrade for Columbus and it only lists one Amundsen - 6.5" screen, no DVD drive but with MirrorLink. That must be the Gen2 (Yeti only model). The picture shows the 5.8 inch version though.

And what if the MirrorLink upgrade exists, what should you do if the car is delivered with Mitsumi instead of USB ??

That seems to back up the notion that mirror link is not available on older kit, needing Gen 2 hardware. Go to the Czech configurator and you will see for the new Fabia that you can spec a Bolero, which specifically mentions mirrorlink. And looking at the info it specifies USB connection which includes Apple devices (much like the current Columbus) "Aux in, USB vstupem s Apple konektivitou, SD slotem, Bluetooth audiostreamingem" > google translates to > "Aux in, USB input with Apple connectivity , SD card slot, Bluetooth audio streaming". Mitsumi is history for Gen 2.

I see that configuring a Yeti on there too gives a Mirrorlink option when ordered with Amundsen and Bolero - so they will be Gen 2.

The November map update files for Columbus list MIB2 in the  - but doesn't mean it's coming to Octy 3 any time soon (especially as the update is VAG wide by the looks of it, listing Audi in the txt files).

Maybe next gen Columbus in the Superb 3, whenever that arrives, that wouldn't surprise me.

• Like 1

Someone must have a chassis number of a O3 manufactured after 03/11/14 with a Columbus in it to give that a try and see if anything different happens.

Not long (but still too long) and I'll have one to try! Should be built next week - maybe Skoda CS can give me the VIN once it's built? :D

Edited by philwoodphoto

So you just want to sellotape a tablet to your dashboard then? :)

Absolutely! A basic android tablet with an amp strapped to the back an fm tuner (don't wanna waste data on streaming radio) would be my ideal car stereo! I don't even care if it has a sim/data access, you could set it to use your phones wifi AP automatically.

Android Auto does look pretty weak, plugging a phone in every time you use the car would get old reeeeeeal fast, but I'll take it over mirrorlink any day. I really just want google maps, Google Now, Spotify and plex. Doesn't seem too much to ask!

Edit: and apologies for heading somewhat off topic...

Edited by kitset

• 1 month later...

So they're initially shipping just SmartGate by itself?

Yep, this appeared as an additional option a few months ago prior to the half model year change.

Not found anyone with a car with it enabled though yet.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

The Smartgate option doesn't appear on their website at the moment - I never saw it when it was.

Anyone else notice the price increases on the configurator now? Its been down for a few days for updates. I knew it was coming but am amazed they increased the cost of the winter pack so much - think its £600 now, £170 more than last year! And one can't add a spare wheel.. Still no Smartgate option either.