Mirrorlink Update

My Octavia has a Webasto that heats both engine and interior which does indeed have its own sim. Had the dealer install it.

Best feature I have ever had in a car.

How much did it cost to get a sim installed?

I think the chances of someone deciding to hang around your car waiting for you to get in, just so they can try and connect then change the password before you drive off are so small as to be non existent.

Well it is Wi-Fi, so they might not have to be that close. And it might serve as a possible entry point if someone finds a vulnerability in the software in the future. (I worked as a network admin for a number of years, so my mind is always seeking possible issues.)

Well it is Wi-Fi, so they might not have to be that close. And it might serve as a possible entry point if someone finds a vulnerability in the software in the future. (I worked as a network admin for a number of years, so my mind is always seeking possible issues.)

But if someone should get Access to wifi, what can they do? I mean, what are you supposed to with the car wifi? Can you actually controll something, or is just for transfering tripdata to your phone?

Im not asking about hacks or such, just the base functionality.

But if someone should get Access to wifi, what can they do? I mean, what are you supposed to with the car wifi? Can you actually controll something, or is just for transfering tripdata to your phone?

Im not asking about hacks or such, just the base functionality.

As far as I know for now all you can do is read trip computer data and such, but I don't know if Skoda plans to add more functionality later. So as for now all they can do is spy on you and change your password. But there is a built web server on there, that hosts the control page, so it's always possible there could be holes that have yet to be discovered.

I don't know more until I get my car. I'll be sure to make a post about it if I find out anything worth noting.

They could make note of the VIN number and just stand close by while the driver prepares to drive away. It's not a long window, but still... Couldn't they just have used a random password like most new Wi-Fi routers? (Rhetorical question.)

That would be like someone tailgating a bus to get free wifi!!!

I'm an information security professional in my day job. Believe me when I tell you that car hacking is a very active area of research in both criminal hacker terms and academic research.

Here's an example from a year ago.. http://money.cnn.com/2014/06/01/technology/security/car-hack/

Edited by Black0ut
  • Like 1

... and I let my CCSP expire this year after what seems like forever renewing it, I just couldn't face CCNP Security and it is a long time since I was hands on anyway

That's the nature of the beast right there.

Staying current is usually the biggest challenge in the long term.

• 2 weeks later...

To answer one of my own questions (do feel free to answer others) - the dealer said that the Amundsen 2ndGen has gone in the Yeti from early this month.  Dates on other models currently unknown but "I might get lucky" (I suspect I won't), though there will be a price increase for the new version.  Sadly there appears to be no way to request / upgrade the newer version before it happens as part of the natural order of things.

It's all a bit odd really.  There's a significant difference between the two - there's no CD player in the new one, which I'm delighted about but for some folks might be a very big deal.  Then there's the larger screen, Mirrorlink (and forthcoming CarPlay?, 2x CPU speed, Apple integration into the USB socket....)

Back on topic. :) In relation to the above I'm going to my local dealer on Thursday to test a VRS. Want to see if they know anything about this new system. If it's the case that they're going into the car for the new build year I might ditch the Columbus and go with a Bolero (For the Big Screen alone!).

I'm an information security professional in my day job. Believe me when I tell you that car hacking is a very active area of research in both criminal hacker terms and academic research.

Here's an example from a year ago.. http://money.cnn.com/2014/06/01/technology/security/car-hack/

Very true, the BMW system in the news at the moment is a very interesting but simple example of how remote connectivity can make it very easy for people with the right tools to gain access to your car.

As manufacturers add more functionality to "smart apps" this will only make things easier for criminals.

Whilst I do like new technology & the advances that open source systems like linux & android have brought, I don't really think its a good idea to let this technology into important devices.

These systems seem to promote poor quality where apps are released without testing & its normal to have an update every week.

Theres also the question of "support" - like millions of androids phones which are no longer updated by manufacturers but contain several serious security loop-holes.

Or the recent bad-USB concept which could attack almost every USB enabled computer in the wrong hands.

If someone has even basic access to your navigation system, they can see (for example) what time you normally leave home etc etc.

This information in the wrong hands can be very valuable for when to pick-up your 20,000gbp car from right outside your front door.

• Like 1

The manual tells you how to change the password though, so surely that would be the first thing you do when you get the car, to your own password, so there is no more issue? 

It's no issue for those who realize they should change it. But it's still not a very good excuse to set an insecure factory password...

I'm quite sure 99% of people who have a WiFi router at home will never change the default password.

Thats why good ISPs provide routers with the randomly generated passwords & phone-home functionality so it can be controlled/updated by them automatically.

Edited by Gabbo

I'm quite sure 99% of people who have a WiFi router at home will never change the default password.

Thats why good ISPs provide routers with the randomly generated passwords & phone-home functionality so it can be controlled/updated by them automatically.

I'd expect nothing less from car manufacturers...but apparently I expect too much.

• Like 1

Back on topic. :) In relation to the above I'm going to my local dealer on Thursday to test a VRS. Want to see if they know anything about this new system. If it's the case that they're going into the car for the new build year I might ditch the Columbus and go with a Bolero (For the Big Screen alone!).

I'll be interested to know what you find, Still not heard anything about an Octavia rollout for the new generation of units. My build is due end of March.

I'll be interested to know what you find, Still not heard anything about an Octavia rollout for the new generation of units. My build is due end of March.

Will report back on it asap! I won't hold my breath as two things I've always noticed between dealing with UK dealers and those over here (Ireland) are

1) The dealers here are the biggest spoofers going. Claiming things that aren't any way correct at all eg. There won't be an L&K model for this Octavia. Two months later it's in the showroom! The few dealers I've dealt with over there were a little more honest. More often than not I was told 'I don't know' or 'I'm no sure' and I appreciate that more than an outright lie. They'd go to the trouble to find out though..!

2) The dealers here offer terrible discounts. If I so much as even thought about looking for a deal that's anything like drivethedeal over there I'd be shot. I don't think I've ever gotten a discount near 5%.

Edited by foregonereality
  • Like 1

Dealers are normally the last to be told the roadmap for a product. It is more likely to be in a press release before the dealers get a notification!

They don't want dealers holding back orders because something new and wonderful is just round the corner, or pressurising customers into a sale because something is changing for the perceived worse.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk