Polo GTI some details

vrskeith

To be honest it depends on what's important to you. I traded in a Peugeot 208 GTI for a 5 door Polo GTI as I needed the practicality with a growing family. The Polo isn't quite as engaging to drive as the pug but not a million miles away. Given the acclaim of the fiesta I think it's generally accepted to be one of the best hot hatches around but to be honest even if there had been a 5 door available when I changed I wouldn't have entertained it as they are two a penny and the quality of the cabin in my opinion looks cheap and a bit dated. For me the Polo may lack that final sparkle when driving but it's a much more grown up and premium package than the ford. Got mine with sports pack, convenience pack, winter pack and extended warranty for just under £20,000.

Edited by FOX1429
  • Like 1

Thanks for the replies, yes a manual would be my preference, the polo appeals to me more than a fiesta too, so much about it I like. It's the same for me, I like the feel of a small fast car but need the 5 doors. I've been quoted a PCP @ £16343 which includes manufactures contribution of £1400. That's with no options but I think I would go with the sports pack. I don't need to change until March but I'll maybe have a phone about and see what I can get sorted.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Just had a spirited drive, for 60 miles in the partner's Polo GTI DSG 1.8, mainly in Sport mode and flappy paddle activity ,taking it into the dealership for its 1st service at Swindon Inchcape.

Across, mainly A & B REALLY enjoyed the contrast with the Boxster and the recently acquired R Hatch. The 1.8 is a cracking torquey little motor ,the Sport package is well worth having for such a fun drive.

Good day had by this Old Fart.

PS.

Got to say that for cross country blasts ,it's still the manual for me but don't tell the missus!!

Edited by vrskeith
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all

Gave the Polo a quick single wash yesterday - don't want to do too much work as I have the car being detailed next week and want to leave the paintwork as untreated as possible until then. But, with the sun shining so nicely it seemed a shame not to take at least a few snaps for you guys...

P3126154.jpg

P3126155.jpg

P3126156.jpg

P3126157.jpg

P3126159.jpg

P3126150.jpg

I've gone for white as well - after saying I'd never have a white car! However, after seeing one in the flesh I do think it suits the car (was going to go for black).

Due to pick mine up four weeks tomorrow.

Edited by Brian69
  • Like 2

I've gone for white as well - after saying I'd never have a white car! However, after seeing one in the flesh I do think it suits the car (was going to go for black).

Due to pick mine up four weeks tomorrow.

Sounds pretty good Brian - Manual rather than DSG?

Enjoy when you get your hands on it!!

• Like 1

Sounds pretty good Brian - Manual rather than DSG?

Enjoy when you get your hands on it!!

Manual, Keith. Will miss DSG - pretty sure Arnold Clark only have pre-reg. manuals (although I didn't actually pose the question).

No idea what shoes it's wearing - forgot to ask that as well (hopefully not Dunlop Sport Maxx anyway...).

Edited by Brian69
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I have one now too.....

Needed shot of my Octavia....actually very nearly bought another untit it fell through....this was the wild card.

It's a Pure White 3 door manual, 15 plate (about 19 months old), 30k miles but with a lovely spec (convenience, winter and parking packs, climate, discover nav and sports pack with DCC). Dare I say it, its arguably the most fun car Ive owned or driven full stop which to date was a Mk5 Golf GTI. Frankly given its age and spec didnt pay a huge sum of money for it either.

Only thing Ive done to it (and will probably do to it) is OEM rubber mats, boot liner and red GTI badgeskins.

The EA888 engine is a lovely thing, so much torque and usable power you can make swift progress without really needing to flog it...but when you do it rewards with free revving up to the higher RPM's and actually a really nice noise, albeit inside I conceed its largely sythesized...but you can really hear the exhaust which is great for stock.

It really does have a Jekyll and Hyde character too, mainly down to the sports pack. Its more than enjoyable in Normal, but popping it into Sport somehow makes it come alive and rather unruley as a hot hatch should be. The ride in sport is too firm for just bumbling about and does make it become rather skittish on poor road surfaces (and does get wearing when not in the mood) but its great fun..the throttle response paricularly is so much sharper.

Compared to a Mk7 Performance Golf, its more basic chassis underpinnings (not being so accomplished in many ways) contributes to its fun factor....you drive the Polo GTI, not the other way around. Does the lots of motor in a small car thing very well.

Ive had two Mk7 GTD's, both great cars which I enjoyed immensely but they were almost too composed/capable and as a consequence were rather great at covering ground quickly, but being slightly detached and not huge fun. Sure the GTI counters that with its far more peppy petrol motor to some degree but its still a valid comparison.

Dislikes......boots tiny, less things are configurable within the infotainment compared to the Golf (lack of auto locking being my biggest bugbare at the moment), steams up v easily when raining, dire on fuel on short runs (but averaging 34 over the last tank which is OK given the performance on tap) and the door sills are made of butter...my passenger sill already has an annoying dent which couldnt be fully pulled out...knock them and they are v thin and hollow. Otherwise it seems far better made than my Mk3 Octavia bizarrely....just has an air of solidarity about it that was missing on the Skoda....probably because its chassis is not MQB based.

Edited by pipsypreturnsagain
  • Like 2

Manual, Keith. Will miss DSG - pretty sure Arnold Clark only have pre-reg. manuals (although I didn't actually pose the question).

No idea what shoes it's wearing - forgot to ask that as well (hopefully not Dunlop Sport Maxx anyway...).

Most likely Continental PremiumContact 2's

• Like 1

Not long to go now Brian, soon be ready to rock & roll that GTI. Run-in first of course.

• Like 1

Not long to go now Brian, soon be ready to rock & roll that GTI. Run-in first of course.

Next Thursday - seems like an age since I signed on the line and paid the deposit (20th December).

First 1,000 I'll not go near the red line.

• Like 1

Next Thursday - seems like an age since I signed on the line and paid the deposit (20th December).

First 1,000 I'll not go near the red line.

Brian,

Don't panic ,we've got Donald Trump to panic about first!!lol

• Like 1

Brian, have fun. 

do me a favour please..

I know a hand over is a busy time and things need checking and papers and keys and that crap.

Please take a Tyre Pressure gauge in your pocket and when you go to the car with the sales person and they do their bit let them and then say just a moment and i will check the tyre pressures.

Takes 4 minutes, if they are not correct just say you have a spare 30 minutes and get them to get the Master Tech out to do a PDI again.

They love that.

• Like 2

Brian, have fun. 

do me a favour please..

I know a hand over is a busy time and things need checking and papers and keys and that crap.

Please take a Tyre Pressure gauge in your pocket and when you go to the car with the sales person and they do their bit let them and then say just a moment and i will check the tyre pressures.

Takes 4 minutes, if they are not correct just say you have a spare 30 minutes and get them to get the Master Tech out to do a PDI again.

They love that.

George,

I did that with my Boxster at the Porsche Centre ,pressures were all over the place. Should have been 2.1 bar front and back.

Actual Front 2.9 and 2.7, Rear 2.5 and 2,4bar. Fuel tank full with Tesco Momentum.

Got then to check the oil level while cold only half full so got that sorted as well.

However, Golf R recently, tyre pressure spot on, oil level spot on. 1ltr of the correct engine oil provided for top up inline with service schedule. Only 1/2 a take of 99 octane in tank

Forgot to say both cars were immaculate inside and out, not a mark on paintwork or alloys, bruises or blemishes totally spotless.

Edited by vrskeith
  • Like 1

With Sir Arnolds establishments they have the vehicles for 3 months so no New Registrations rush and need for short cuts, so the Vehicles should be immaculate and perfect like their after care service, 2nd to none.

If you are not treated as Sir Arnold used to be as he travelled around his dealerships then they are letting themselves down.

Excuse me, i have been drinking again....

Edited by Offski
  • Like 2

George,

I did that with my Boxster at the Porsche Centre ,pressures were all over the place. Should have been 2.1 bar front and back.

Actual Front 2.9 and 2.7, Rear 2.5 and 2,4bar. Fuel tank full with Tesco Momentum.

Got then to check the oil level while cold only half full so got that sorted as well.

However, Golf R recently, tyre pressure spot on, oil level spot on. 1ltr of the correct engine oil provided for top up inline with service schedule. Only 1/2 a take of 99 octane in tank

Forgot to say both cars were immaculate inside and out, not a mark on paintwork or alloys, bruises or blemishes totally spotless.

When I took it on a test drive it must have been running on fumes - the range said '0 miles' - Arnold is charging me £25 to stick some juice in it and I doubt it'll be 99...

• Like 1

LOL.  You don't get to have great wealth by even giving away free air.

I hope you instructed that there be no sticker on the rear window.

You could send them an Email and tell them to be sure to have no Sticker and you want Super Unleaded in if not got 20 litres in now.

• Like 1

When I took it on a test drive it must have been running on fumes - the range said '0 miles' - Arnold is charging me £25 to stick some juice in it and I doubt it'll be 99...

Pay for it, WTF! Insist to take it to Tesco and put in £25 Momentum, before you hand over your money for the car. We are paying £1.239 /ltr down here now.

Had to be a Scottish dealership - tight as F LOL

Edited by vrskeith
  • Like 2

Funnily enough, that hideous yellow sticker has been foremost in my mind! I think I will send the salesman an email requesting that the car is prepared sans sticker. As it's coming from a VW franchise I'm not sure if it will have the far subtler, generic VW sticker (I don't mind that)

Pay for it, WTF! Insist to take it to Tesco and put in £25 Momentum, before you hand over your money for the car. We are paying £1.239 /ltr down here now.

Had to be a Scottish dealership - tight as F LOL

My Fabia vRS (purchased at Parks of Hamilton) had heehaw juice in the tank either when I bought it - fortunately, there was a Shell garage a short distance from the dealership.

My Fabia vRS (purchased at Parks of Hamilton) had heehaw juice in the tank either when I bought it - fortunately, there was a Shell garage a short distance from the dealership.

Can't get over that they are making you pay for the fuel. Are they charging you for the water and suds for washing the car before hand over.

Must be a title of a new thread. " So who is the tightest dealership at new car handover and why"!

Edited by vrskeith
  • Like 2