Scratched Windscreen

Gutted to notice numerous scratches on the windscreen of my 7 month old vRS. I can only put it down to the ice scraper used a couple of weeks ago to clear a frosty windscreen. I had been using the "Ice Plane" scraper for a couple of years now and had no problems on my previous vehicle, a Toyota Avenis.

Just wondering whether there us any repair solution for the windscreen, short of replacing it? Has anyone else experienced such issues. Could it be down to the overall quality of the glass maybe? I have used the Skoda supplied ice scraper but find it uncomfortable to hold so have resorted to purchasing another off Amazon and will ensue that I start using the Night Before De- Icer to minimise ice on the windscreen.

I've used my scraper carefully so far and haven't noticed any scratches but if you have wet snow or ice on your car windows a rubber bladed window cleaner is a bit safer than anything too rigid like the Skoda scraper.

I have to say I never use a scraper on my windows. I tend to start it up and let it warm through itself; on v rare occasions I might use a spray of de-icer (though dislike the stuff as it tends to kill wiper blades) or pour on some cold tap water...thats usually warm enough to melt ice but with minimal risk of cracking glass.

wife has a several year old Vauxhall Astra that appears to be by some miracle on its original windscreen....that thing is caked in glass scratches and makes it a horrible thing to drive at night.....kind of hoping for a bad stone chip so we can justify getting it replaced.

Have to say one thing I have noticed with the new TDI is how quickly it warms up, literally within moments of driving away from home warm air is already flowing from the vents. Whilst id have liked the heated front screen givem how quickly the heater matrix now delivers warm air its not something id deem as a necessity on these cars now.

Edited by pipsyp

I'm a luke warm water man myself, have been for 30 years on all makes and models of cars, if you're sensibly with water the temperature, no harm will occure.  Its really all about the differential temperature, if its only -2 outside, 25-30 degree C water the differential is 32 max and isn't gonna be an issue, if its -10 and you use 50+ degree C water the differential is 60+ and your gonna have an issue, it just requires a little thought really.

The only other thing to make sure of is to turn your wipers to the off position otherwise, the rain sensors will operate the wipers for you, not only ruining your blades but chucking a whole load of now cold water on you if you're standing by the drivers door. !!!!

Scrapping or spraying smelly de-icer just ain't for me, sorry if this isn't the type of thing you'd do but, I'm a Postman and I ain't gonna be Fn around at 4-5am in the morning.

• Like 3

Tried to use my scraper last Saturday morning but the fuel flap was frozen solid.... Simply not clever...

Haha, happened to me last week. 10 mins into my journey I heard a noise that turned out to be the flap opening as it had defrosted.

Haha, happened to me last week. 10 mins into my journey I heard a noise that turned out to be the flap opening as it had defrosted.

Exacty the same happened to me, could see it open in my wing mirror as I drove down the motorway :D

I find de-icer is typically cack, also the content of the can is so cold it hurts my hands to use it.

I use one in spray bottle not a can, seems to defrost it almost instantly. I just worry about it degrading seals although this probably would only cause issues in the long run

I'm a luke warm water man myself, have been for 30 years on all makes and models of cars, if you're sensibly with water the temperature, no harm will occure.  Its really all about the differential temperature, if its only -2 outside, 25-30 degree C water the differential is 32 max and isn't gonna be an issue, if its -10 and you use 50+ degree C water the differential is 60+ and your gonna have an issue, it just requires a little thought really.

The only other thing to make sure of is to turn your wipers to the off position otherwise, the rain sensors will operate the wipers for you, not only ruining your blades but chucking a whole load of now cold water on you if you're standing by the drivers door. !!!!

Scrapping or spraying smelly de-icer just ain't for me, sorry if this isn't the type of thing you'd do but, I'm a Postman and I ain't gonna be Fn around at 4-5am in the morning.

Shame you are not my postman, he Fs around all day. !!!!!

How bad are they mate? You may be able to polish them out with Ceri-glass an DA polisher

The scratches are not deep, but clearly visible in the sunlight and luckily on the passengers side. I have no desire to try and polish them out using any DIY methods, as I will probably make it worse.

I think I will revert to the warm water method, which I resisted doing so on the Skoda, thinking the quality of materials may lead to some sort of damage on the glass or seals. I had been doing this on my previous vehicle, a Toyota Avensis on hard frost days without any issues.  

Thank you all for the various suggestions and tips.

I spray mine with the finest malt whiskey, as long as its over 40 per cent it does the job. Once suitably saturated I set it alight, it works a treat. You are more than welcome, and I fully expect a best answer flag to be applied asap.

Water freezes, get the winter pack or suffer. 

• Like 1

I have the winter pack but this does no help when a lump of wood 5ft long hits your windscreen.......

scratches on A pillar bonnet ect not bothered about those but the windscreen scratches I have put up with for 6 months but when it raining and the other car headlights hit you along with the fine copper wire in the windscreen really gets on my tits!

going to have to get it replaced but will wait until summer now as I think they bond the screen ,,,,,carnt see it bonding too well in this weather

you carnt really see it on this pic but the wood even scratched the glass on both pieces of side glass and a big mark in the door and the mirror ....hence why its never cleaned lost all interest in it

Edited by greatdane

I have the winter pack but this does no help when a lump of wood 5ft long hits your windscreen.......

scratches on A pillar bonnet ect not bothered about those but the windscreen scratches I have put up with for 6 months but when it raining and the other car headlights hit you along with the fine copper wire in the windscreen really gets on my tits!

going to have to get it replaced but will wait until summer now as I think they bond the screen ,,,,,carnt see it bonding too well in this weather

you carnt really see it on this pic but the wood even scratched the glass on both pieces of side glass and a big mark in the door and the mirror ....hence why its never cleaned lost all interest in it attachicon.gifDSC_0800 (2).jpg

Where did a 5ft long piece of wood randomly appear from at windscreen height in the middle of the road?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk