vRS headlights

Hi,

Picked up 3 month old petrol DSG Octy vRS yesterday and on 260 mile journey home had a least 6-10 cars either flashing headlights or rear fogs at me, thought at first auto lights weren't working, then I thought must be the xenon lights - being brighter than standards, anyone else have this problem with other drivers flashing, there's no adjustment as such I need to make to lights is there, notice on start up they go up, down, left and right, thanks [emoji106]

Get a buddy to drive their car towards you/behind you etc. I've not been flashed before, so maybe your self levelling system is not working (but the fact it initialises at start up - which is normal - and you have no error says that is must be working).

Depending on what your buddy says, take it to the dealer I guess.

I find that if I'm "using" the car then people flash me.

In conversation with other drivers of a similar nature, (all advanced or Police class 1), and with performance cars, it seems to be the thing nowadays! Peoples skills have been "dumbed" down with ever reducing speed limits, such that they'll quite happily sit in a line of traffic doing 40mph even in a 60 limit. When you overtake, because they have no ability, they assume your driving to their same poor standard and the reaction is to flash! Don't know what their reaction to my cheery wave back is, cause I'm long gone!

Even the easiest overtakes get a weird look nowadays!

Enjoy the car!

Edited by banksie
  • Like 4

Check your settings are for Left lane drive for a start, I had a dealer demo for 24 hour test drive and theirs was set up as right lane drive

What does the left lane/right lane light thingy do...I saw it in the lightning setting buy couldn't figure out what it actually does. On another note is the vrs lights meant to automatically adjust every time they turn on?

What does the left lane/right lane light thingy do...I saw it in the lightning setting buy couldn't figure out what it actually does. On another note is the vrs lights meant to automatically adjust every time they turn on?

It's the setting for UK or continental European driving. Possible that someone has been mucking around with it and your driving with the lights deflected to the wrong side!

Just a thought: Have you checked the lights setting in the computer? The dealer showed me when taking over my car that it is possible to switch between RHD and LHD setting of the Xenon headlights. If someone did play with different settings and it now is incorrect, the pattern will be wrong (and oncoming traffic will notice that)!

Edit: ahhh, too late........

Edited by fatzy
  • Like 1

On another note is the vrs lights meant to automatically adjust every time they turn on?

Yes, the xenons do a little system check dance, up down left right a couple of times, when you start the car. I've also noticed them move when you come to a stop in traffic too while driving round town. There are various light patterns depending on speed, light and weather, there is something in the manual about it I recall.

Edited by philwoodphoto

I've been flashed as well by oncoming traffic whilst on low beam. I think its the Xenons, as I used to think others BMW etc were really bright when they first came out.

A quick eyeful of main beam in reply repays the momentary dazzling and the other driver is made aware of their error.

Or they are congratulating you on having a full set of working lights? A very rare occurrence on the roads nowadays.

• Like 1

Check your settings are for Left lane drive for a start, I had a dealer demo for 24 hour test drive and theirs was set up as right lane drive

For UK with RHD car the car should be in the "L-Hand Traffic" mode and on the continent "R-Hand Traffic" mode. Easiest way to tell which mode it is in, is to put the car in "Sport" mode and drive the vehicle forwards slowly whilst steering left and right (edit: with the lights on whilst dark) if set up for driving on the continent the AFS is disabled and therefore the light beam doesn't move left / right when a steering input is applied.

You can get the beam pattern tested by the dealer or an MOT test centre - for the dealer explain that you keep being flashed hence that is why you would like for it to be checked (for free). There may be a small charge in the MOT test centre but this may be more convenient if you live a long way from a dealer.

Edited by Black_Sheep

Thanks blacksheep, I've noticed the lights moving left/right when turning the steering wheel so I guess it's set up for left hand traffic [emoji106]

For the uk you should be set for right hand traffic as that's the side oncoming traffic is on.

Thanks blacksheep, I've noticed the lights moving left/right when turning the steering wheel so I guess it's set up for left hand traffic [emoji106]

yOur lights will turn left and right when you steer, uk cars have their dip pointing left, light up the kerb not oncoming traffic

I find that if I'm "using" the car then people flash me.

In conversation with other drivers of a similar nature, (all advanced or Police class 1), and with performance cars, it seems to be the thing nowadays! Peoples skills have been "dumbed" down with ever reducing speed limits, such that they'll quite happily sit in a line of traffic doing 40mph even in a 60 limit. When you overtake, because they have no ability, they assume your driving to their same poor standard and the reaction is to flash! Don't know what their reaction to my cheery wave back is, cause I'm long gone!

Even the easiest overtakes get a weird look nowadays!

Enjoy the car!

Couldnt agree more, I get this quite regularly where people sit well below the speed limit then are both surprised and angered that they've become subject to a safe overtake by someone just wanting to travel at the right pace.

In fact there seem to be an increasing number of folk that I would question how they have ever gained and retained their licences!

• Like 4

For the uk you should be set for right hand traffic as that's the side oncoming traffic is on.

That would seem logical but it refers to which side of the road you are driving on ie. In UK on the left. Spent quite a while arguing in Germany whilst having the light test done!

Very occasional flash. They are bright after all, you only need to switch them on and approach them on foot to see. But you see plenty if these lights on other makes that seen bright.especially the after market fit pretendy zenons

Couldnt agree more, I get this quite regularly where people sit well below the speed limit then are both surprised and angered that they've become subject to a safe overtake by someone just wanting to travel at the right pace.

In fact there seem to be an increasing number of folk that I would question how they have ever gained and retained their licences!

F witts, I travel at 4am and still you get them !!! beggars belief