Honda Civic 1- 0 Skoda Fabia

Hi All.

Hope everyone on here has had a better start to their New Year than me.

On Monday some twonk in a Civic pulled out from a junction straight into my driver's side as a I was turning right.

As you can see below damage is quite extensive.  Driver's door knackered, rear door damaged and does not close properly and there are buckles in the sills.

It's an '04 VRS with 142k miles so I reckon it'll be written off, what does anyone else think?

P1050525_zps45ac455f.jpg

P1050528_zpse76e0991.jpg

P1050529_zpsb83e4dcc.jpg

yes most likey, but just buy it back off insurance find 2 doors and replace them

or contact the person who ran into you and get them to pay you direct so it don't go through there insurance

Thanks for replies.  I would hate to see it go, I've looked after it for the last 8 years and it's served me well.

The hire car from the insurance company is a brand new Focus.  It feels massive and has so many gadgets it's like driving a playstation.

Would have thought so long as the sill isnt structually compromised its just a case of changing the doors. Which are about £30-50 on ebay and there should be plenty of diamond silver ones in scrap yards.

Problem is insurance garage will prob price up two new doors so i would guess £250 each with all the extra bits attached then labour for the doors will probably claim 2 hours a door at £55 an hour, then about £1500 to paint and blend.

I would guess an insurance quote of about £2300 if they dont touch the sill, compared to £100 if you do it yourself.

• Like 1

The rear door does not close properly - there is a gap at the top rear edge when closed. 

I don't know whether this is due to the damage to the door itself, or damage to the bodyshell of the car.

How would a bodyshop repair the buckled sills?

At least you're not harmed.

What was the state of the Civic? How fast was he/she travelling at when the collision happened?

I would suggest doing the same as above, unless the price to buy it back is more than you thought.

JRJG

At least you're not harmed.

What was the state of the Civic? How fast was he/she travelling at when the collision happened?

I would suggest doing the same as above, unless the price to buy it back is more than you thought.

JRJG

No damage at all to civic, it was a 56 plate, they must be quite flexible at the front.  He came out of a junction into me so I estimate he was doing about 15-20 mph when he hit me.  I've got stiff neck and shoulder.

Thanks!  I'll bear it in mind.  Repair shop have yet to collect and evaluate mine.

Whose repair shop? Be careful the car doesn't get written off and disposed of before you can buy it back (shouldn't happen but have heard stories about it!). My Octavia was written off last year and the buy back option was only 10% of the valuation placed on it. I then had it repaired with second hand parts at a fraction of the cost of repairing it with new parts.

Who provided you the courtesy car? Have the other party admitted liability?

If your car is in above average condition and has FSH then push for a valuation above the guide price. Most of the industry I'm told use Glass's guide and this does not require a car over 6 years old to have FSH - so if yours does then that's an easy and fair argument you can use to get a better valuation. Adverts for other cars don't hold much weight.

Good luck with it - if you need any more advice PM or post here.

I have two silver doors if you need them.  They are in Devon though....

Thanks!  I'll bear it in mind.  Repair shop have yet to collect and evaluate mine.

And I'll be driving up past there on my way to Oulton Park at the end of the month.

Brisky Greenline???? ;)

• Like 1

Does the rear door not open just because of the front. Can you open front and then rear.

Personally I might be tempted to pocket a loada money from the party (I dunno, what £500-700 if they agreed) and change the door for chips ?

Cill looks like very small dents to me, is it really that badly damaged ? You could pull out as much as poss then fill.

Edited by dominorising

I had same last year some **** reversed into the side in a transit but did the rear door and the rear quarter panel.. my car had 145k 04 plate.. had someone come and assess the car he submitted his report and the repair come out at 2.6k, so the insurance deemed it beyond economical repair. They offered me 2k so I took it because me being stupid said the cars value was 2k. I asked to buy it back and I bought it for £140 and had the work done for £500 through a friend so quids in but the car is now a cat d which doesn't bother me as I don't intend ever selling it. Also I suggest you get your injuries checked out and make sure you tell your insurance.

Feel for you mate. Happened with me aswell last sunday. Opel driver didnt give way for me and i crashed into him with 50km/h. 3 bags opened. Left side is destroyed. Wheel is moved backwards against the driver door. Had it for 2.5 months and 3000 kms. Hope its a write off for me. Had insurance. As suggested above. Dont take first offer what they make to you. Talk as much as you can out of them.

• Like 1

Would have thought so long as the sill isnt structually compromised its just a case of changing the doors. Which are about £30-50 on ebay and there should be plenty of diamond silver ones in scrap yards.

Problem is insurance garage will prob price up two new doors so i would guess £250 each with all the extra bits attached then labour for the doors will probably claim 2 hours a door at £55 an hour, then about £1500 to paint and blend.

I would guess an insurance quote of about £2300 if they dont touch the sill, compared to £100 if you do it yourself.

Agree about insurance I had a slight accident in the wife's fabia my fault,had a quote from insurance £1092 to repair, I thought that was a crazy price.So went to local body shop got a quote for £160 took car in on Monday they took me home.They rang me on Wednesday said car was ready and they would bring in down for me as they had to pick up another car not far from me and the repair and spray a fantastic job.

Once again thanks for all the replies on this.

Both front and rear doors open and close - and stay closed.  However, when the rear door is closed there is a much larger gap than usual at the top edge.  The sills don't look too bad until the door is open, they appear to have buckled upwards.  There, are wrinkles beneath the sill kick plates.

It's now at the repair shop approved by my insurance company and I'm driving around in a car provided by my insurance company.

The other party has accepted full liability.  I've reported my injuries to my insurance law firm and to my GP.

Thanks to all for your concern.  I also hope that all others telling  about their accidents here are ok, Timpel, keithys, vrsTom.

Edited by Chorlton

Yeah also ok apart from having to have physio every week for an hour at a time since June last year... hope you get your car sorted ok and don't have any of the crap I had and am still having

Glad to hear your ok mate. Thats the main thing :)

This happened to me last year but on passenger side, both doors and wing were buggered. Luckily mines lowered quite a lot so the sil didnt get touched. The women who crashed into me agreed to pay for the cost she gave me £500, only cost me £100 for 2 doors and a wing fitted myself. 

So, I heard back from bodyshop today.......repairs estimated at just under £2000! 

Insurance company have been informed so I expect a write off.

In the meantime I've been enjoying driving a shiny new Focus and now a Kuga as replacement vehicles via the insurance.  I must say I was v impressed with the quality of the Focus even the 1.6 diesel engine wasn't bad.

I might even consider upgrading to a Focus from the Fabia but maybe with 1.6 Turbo engine for which a Mountune kit is available.