Skoda Fabia is 2015 What Car? Car of the Year

It is Crazy when cars not yet delivered to customers  like the All new 3rd Generation Skoda Fabia can be judged as being better than cars already out there with owners and private buyers that paid their money and are driving the cars.

ie VW Polo, Polo Facelift & Ford Fiesta.

Scrap that. DOH.

Is this the Discontinued Mk2 that has been on the go since 2007, and has not won since 2000.

How can it be better now than the other cars, it was not better than before,

have they become not so good in the past 12 months.?

EDIT,

No it is the car that is not yet on sale, just been driven by some Motoring Journalists & Dealership Employees,

& which has yet to prove if it has reliability as part of its new Emotional, Crisp, Youthful & Sporty features.

http://whatcar.com/car-reviews/skoda/fabia-hatchback/summary/26242-5

"disappointing plastics.  should be reliable"

?

How do they know there will be decent resale values when nobody has yet bought one and received it?

Edited by goneoffSKi
  • Like 2

Hmm something's not right, surely the brilliant Fiesta 1.0l trumps a 90 BHP shopping Cart

Or the Polo which most people seem to think is a better car for a little bit more money.

As the Fabia is often (by the press) quoted as being not too good, so it doesn't step on the Polo's toes.

• Like 1

They are basically just one and the same car,

the 2014 Facelifted Polo or the All New 3rd Generation Fabia.

So is the Interior Quality of the Skoda actually better than the Polo at the same price, and is the interior space of the latest Fabia 

actually usable, or do you actually need the bit extra space?

It is good to have choices.

Seat current Ibiza comes in 3 door, 5 door and Estate and is pretty much a bargain,good engine choices, but seems to now get little mentioned 

by the Motoring Press, or even the Volkswagen Group Media people.

The best new car on sale in 2015! Allow me to let that sink in.

Also, I don't think that the new fabia even uses the same platform as the new polo does it? I thought I'd read that it was a revised version of the one the mk2 uses. If this makes it better then it would surely be used in the polo or A1.

Give it 6 months and it'll be coming third in group tests with a Peugeot and the latest 'sensational' Hyundai. Stopped buying this mag long ago.

• Like 1

You've really excelled yourselves this time, only briskoda could turn an awards win into another whinging thread lol.

Especially when there's hardly anyone on Briskoda that has sat in the new Fabia or seen one never mind road tested one. But why would you trust a journalist or motoring writer when you have 'experts' on here.

• Like 2

Bang on cue Autocar (same publisher as Whatcar) has the Fabia coming second to the Hyundai i20 in a group test. Though they do call it a Favia!?!

But yeah, you trust the journalists.

For spec and warranty you can't beat the Hyundai but as all of the 'journalists' have said, the current engine range lets it down until the new 1.0l lump comes out later on in the year.

The 'Favia' still isn't the class leader and it probably never will be but it comes down to personal preference most of the time, not what journo's say and you buy whichever make and model you prefer.

Edited by Gazbull17

For spec and warranty you can't beat the Hyundai but as all of the 'journalists' have said, the current engine range lets it down until the new 1.0l lump comes out later on in the year.

The 'Favia' still isn't the class leader and it probably never will be but it comes down to personal preference most of the time, not what journo's say and you buy whichever make and model you prefer.

Every magazine says the Fiesta is the best but if you dont like Fords or the look of the car you aint going to buy it however good it supposedly is.

I think all of these awards could do with some form of transparency

what criteria were used

what weighting to each criteria?

a bit like the JD Power surveys

but I do smile that a car can be named as the car of the year, less than 2 weeks into the year and without a single car delivered to a real customer (excluding dealers)

Had a look at one in the dealers on my way back today.

Quite nice. I like it.

An older couple came in, had a look round n said they wont be trading in their mk2 as they didnt like how low the seat is in the mk3. Harder to get in and out.

Looked nice to me though. Feels good quality, boot does look a little bigger. Bit sportier all round.

I'll get a test drive when the time comes

Had a look at one in the dealers on my way back today.

Quite nice. I like it.

An older couple came in, had a look round n said they wont be trading in their mk2 as they didnt like how low the seat is in the mk3. Harder to get in and out.

Looked nice to me though. Feels good quality, boot does look a little bigger. Bit sportier all round.

I'll get a test drive when the time comes

They can have my seat lifting spacers from the Clio
  • Like 1

They are basically just one and the same car,

the 2014 Facelifted Polo or the All New 3rd Generation Fabia.

So is the Interior Quality of the Skoda actually better than the Polo at the same price, and is the interior space of the latest Fabia 

actually usable, or do you actually need the bit extra space?

It is good to have choices.

Seat current Ibiza comes in 3 door, 5 door and Estate and is pretty much a bargain,good engine choices, but seems to now get little mentioned 

by the Motoring Press, or even the Volkswagen Group Media people.

the new Fabia Mk3 has a new chasis.. it's not using the Polo chasis.. they've reworked the rear of the new Fabia..

it's nice.. I was inside one on Saturday and taking a test drive this Saturday.. so I'll let everyone know how it feels on the glorious pot-hole ridden roads of Britain..

Quality inside on the Mk3 is much better than the Mk1 Fabia.. dials, buttons, feel nicer.. some things are missing.. no internal release for fuel cap, or the boot.. no ability to dim the dasboard illumination either.. but there we go.. they do give us other things.

Compared to the latest Polo internally - pretty much identical.. the doors feel nice and solid on both cars (unlike a Toyota Aygo - which are like tinfoil) .. I do like what they've done with the Mk3 doors around the edges with the rubber seal, it looks like it's been placed on to reduce a bit of noise besides keeping out the rain..

FOR INFO: Polo build times are being quoted as 6 months currently.. which may cause a few people to switch to Fabia this year if getting a new car.. it did me..

I'm just looking for a good deal that's all.. what are the margins at the moment? 15%-20%?

• Like 1

I'm just looking for a good deal that's all.. what are the margins at the moment? 15%-20%?

Best discounts I've seen on sites like DriveTheDeal and CarWow have been around 9.5%ish :S Wife really wants one so need to find some good deals if possible...

It has a Platform that has 'elements of a MQB' as they say, or 'Components'

ie it takes the Engine Mounts & the Suspension Points.  It is not a New Type Approved Vehicle.

So you have Fabia, Fabia Mk2. Fabia Mk2 Face Lift, and now the All New 3rd Generation Fabia, and it is an evolving platform,

Not New, just changed /updated,  a cheap compromise.

The Facelift Polo & A1 take the same engines & even the 2014 S1 (quattro) is just a Modified Chassis.

So you can call it an All New 3rd Generation but it is not an all new Platform,

that will go to the next All New VW Polo & Audi A1.

But that is dancing on the head of a pin.

So does it drive and feel so much better for being an ickle bit different?

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/skoda/fabia/64262/new-skoda-fabia-specs-and-details

Edited by goneoffSKi

I've heard there's a greenline version of the 1.4TDI coming later in 2015..

but what did catch my eye was the 75PS 1.4TDI Bluemotion Polo gets a whopping 108.6 MPG on the Extra Urban.. :sun: 

So Skoda have to better that figure..

Oh, I was tempted by that impressive MPG but the 6 month build time put me off..besides the lack of Horses..