Dash Cams

I bought a mobius and fitted it behind the rear view mirror and the usb cable is simply pushed into the headlining, down the pillar and in through the side of the dash (side plate pops off) and routed to the cig lighter with a usb adapter. Very easy and not permanent!

I had my Skoda visit several aftermarket stops after the unofficial delivery - amongst those was an audio and sound insulation upgrade, for which they removed all door cards and some parts of the dash to run cables through.

I had them take 5 minutes extra to properly install my dash cam, so they ran the cable through the roof lining and pillars into the dashboard where it was internally hooked up. Saves me a 12v slot and an ugly cable through my interior.

I bought a mobius and fitted it behind the rear view mirror and the usb cable is simply pushed into the headlining, down the pillar and in through the side of the dash (side plate pops off) and routed to the cig lighter with a usb adapter. Very easy and not permanent!

Can I ask what sort of mount you used for your mobius? Was something different to the suction cup mount? I'm looking for a different mount, as the suction cup mount doesn't survive our extreme temperatures  :(

Can I ask what sort of mount you used for your mobius? Was something different to the suction cup mount? I'm looking for a different mount, as the suction cup mount doesn't survive our extreme temperatures  :(

This seems to be the way most have gotten a Mobius installed in the O3.

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/311956-show-your-octavia-iii-dashcam-setups/?p=3772789

At least from the images and comments I've read.

Edited by Astec123
  • Like 1

I've got the Roadhawk HD, it's just to the left of the rear view mirror on a suction mount and the cable runs from a multi way socket just down the side of the passenger seat, then it's gently pushed up under the plastic of the panel that surrounds the "ashtray", then under around the back of the glovebox, then inbetween the dashboard & door pillar, then under the window surround to the top, then under the roof panel. I can pull it out in about 45s.

Mind you, I'm thinking of selling the Roadhawk & getting either a DOD LS460W or maybe the new E-PRANCE 0805 or 0806. The Roadhawk is pretty useless in the dark, even though reviews said to the contrary.

[quote name="TheWanderer"

Mind you, I'm thinking of selling the Roadhawk & getting either a DOD LS460W or maybe the new E-PRANCE 0805 or 0806. The Roadhawk is pretty useless in the dark, even though reviews said to the contrary.

I too was thinking of an E-PRANCE 0803 or 0805 after seeing "TECHMOAN's" review, but looking at reviews elsewhere there seems to be a lot of rejections due to bad manufacture or faulty batches.

One of the other members wanted to see how my Blackview 500 fitted on his mk3. He had a similar rear view unit as in post #7 above and it meant the Blackvue would have had to go below the bottom of the mount as it's bullet shaped, so would be in full view of the driver. The Mobus on the other hand would mount to the side of the plastic housing thats fixed to the screen because its shaped like a small box of matches and the lens is on the narrow end, whereas the Blackvue ii't on the long section of the body. Just something for you to consider/be aware of when choosing yours.

Another consideration for the folk in warmer climates is the rated temperature of the dashcam. I have the blackvue DR650 installed and found the unit too hot to remove from the bracket with bare hands after car had been parked outside for a couple of hours. Temp outside was around 40c mark so I measured body of the blackvue (thermal probe attached to my multimeter) and it went to 66c in short order. DR650 is rated to 70c before it shuts down and i thought that was overkill when buying.

Looking at the adhesive mount from outside the windscreen, the adhesive now has many air bubbles trapped inside the mount - when installed it was perfectly even across the glass, so I am guessing the adhesive may become somewhat more fluid when heated. Adhesive pad is black which would not help - all our motorway tags have white adhesive tape, possibly for that reason. Having said that it shows no signs of detaching from the screen.

Rear cam (liftback) is much cooler thanks to dark reflective tint installed. Muddies the video a bit though.

Looking at the adhesive mount from outside the windscreen, the adhesive now has many air bubbles trapped inside the mount - when installed it was perfectly even across the glass, so I am guessing the adhesive may become somewhat more fluid when heated. Adhesive pad is black which would not help - all our motorway tags have white adhesive tape, possibly for that reason. Having said that it shows no signs of detaching from the screen.

I spent ages trying to get the mount on the windscreen with no bubbles or air pockets. Even the plastic base below the adhesive isn't 'flat' so I'm pretty certain it's nigh-on impossible to get the mount on without any air trapped. Are you sure it was perfect when it first went on?

I'll have to agree, hot or cold, once that adhesive's on, it's on. I fear for the plastic mount if you try and pull it off the glass. it's impressive stuff!

OK not 100% perfect but much better than it looks now. At most it had a couple of very tiny bubbles.

Not easy, but in the past I have improved stickies further by pushing a pin between the glass and the sticker and then squeezed the air out along the side of the pin (if that makes sense) then when it's as good as you can get it, pull the pin out while pushing firmly on the mount to stop the air getting back in.

I've always found the double sided 3M sticky sheets that you can get from the likes of amazon to be the best. A bit of give in the sheet seems to help avoid vibration and no air bubbles from what I can see but I've never been able to get that close to look  at the middle of the screen if it's anything like the pic above from sjabs101. It certainly looks fine from what I can see.

Some handy tips thanks.

In my case the original mounting was fairly even with almost no bubbles but once this thing heats up the bubbles appear. I will soon find out if the bubbles eventually break the seal as summer has a way to go yet. My motorway tag is bubble free (white adhesive) and sits next to the camera. Lucky the Blackvue has wifi to download videos so rarely need to remove it from bracket.

So bit the bullet and bought a blackvue the only issue I seem to have is when the car is off the camera continues to roll - it's still plugged into the cigarette lighter but I thought the power would cut off once the engine is of

Any ideas?

Anyone with experience with installing a rear facing dash cam to record tailgaters and possible rear ends? Wondering if there is any convenient power source near the back windscreen.

Anyone with experience with installing a rear facing dash cam to record tailgaters and possible rear ends? Wondering if there is any convenient power source near the back windscreen.

You should have a 12V socket in the boot (LHS just behind the wheel) in the recess there.

Thanks for the suggestion, but like the 12v socket in front, it's a permanent live instead of ignition.

That can be fixed simply by moving the fuse by one notch. (Unfortunately it affects them both, so you can't have one and the other.)

Edited by kallekilponen
  • Like 2