Getting a bit ****ed off with this.

Octavia VRS estate. Diesel.

It's done 28000 and so far I've had to buy 4 new front tyres for it and after today, it will be 6.

Looked at it, front middle is worn on both tyres indicating over pressurisation. This has happened twice now and I'm pressurising the tyres in accordance with the handbook (30front 31rear - not gospel) what the hell is going on?

These shouldn't be wearing like this and I'm not a fan of replacing tyres when they cost as much as these do.

Continentals if that helps.

Octavia VRS estate. Diesel.

It's done 28000 and so far I've had to buy 4 new front tyres for it and after today, it will be 6.

Looked at it, front middle is worn on both tyres indicating over pressurisation. This has happened twice now and I'm pressurising the tyres in accordance with the handbook (30front 31rear - not gospel) what the hell is going on?

These shouldn't be wearing like this and I'm not a fan of replacing tyres when they cost as much as these do.

Continentals if that helps.

Have you had tracking and camber etc checked?

Try a new tyre gauge. If the tyres are not scrubbed due to wrong tracking then you are indeed overinflating. Mine wear flat if the pressures are correct. That's all that can be deduced from your information.

I drive briskly, it's wet weather so with the torque they do tend to spin up every now and again but no more than any other car I've owned. I just can't fathom why they're eating tyres.

Alignment was done by skoda about a year ago. Both tyres are about 5mm on the edges and 2mm on the centre.

I go with the other guys and try another gauge or two.

I inflated to 34psi on the front. New gauge read this as 36psi. I still never had excessive centre tyre wear.

4 Wheel alignment probably worth investigating as well.

Mine have been rotated, they are in fact the 2 new tyres I bought to replace the first set of worn tyres.

Either way it ****s me off. They don't wear at all on the rear obviously, but as soon as I put them on the front they're gone within 4 months.

Another tip with tyre pressures to keep them inflated correct, is to fill them with Nitrogen. As the PSI will more or less remain the same a lot better, it should be friendlier on the tread

Edited by RJMcLean

With a lot of diesels the wear can be that although the wheels don't spin, they do slip/creep due to the low down torque, especially if you do a lot of urban driving. Yours does sound like too much pressure though.

I think I'll try those hankooks this time around and see if they're any better. I can't justify £240 on continentals that last 4 months.

Funny you should all mention tyre pressure gauge; my wife bought me one for Christmas lol.

Edited by Bcc212
  • Like 1

I think I'll try those hankooks this time around and see if they're any better. I can't justify £240 on continentals that last 4 months.

Funny you should all mention tyre pressure gauge; my wife bought me one for Christmas lol.

Is the pressure you're using for fully loaded car or just one person?

Simple answer...your tyres are over inflated!

Uneven wear on various edges and saw toothing are all related to caster/camber and general alignment issues.

What you describe "wearing out the centres" is basic over inflation of tyres.

Go take your car to any tyre place and they will say the same and check your pressures with a decent TPG.

Edited by Defenderben

Agreed. But I'm running ~30psi front as directed by the manual. So hardly a failing on my part. I'm shocked that the discrepancy that whatever tyre pressure gauge I'm using and the built in tyre pressure gauge are enough for me to destroy my tyres without no real indication from the car or from the gauge I'm filling the tyres from.

I usually spend 90% of my driving on my own in an empty car.

Conti's dont wear very well, in my experience, but I'm not squealing away from the lights.

Depends which ones really. My SC5's didn't last all that long. My SC3's (factory fitted) lasted for 30k (original fronts) and 40k (30k on rear, 10k on front).

Oh and on pressure - I'm running 32psi all around. I just found it gave a nicer ride (currently on GY AS2's)

Edited by Stoofa

Another silly question  - could it be a “Specsaver” issue? :nerd:

Are you confusing 30psi with 3.0 bar which would be approx 43 psi.

My pressure gauge has a dual scale and I have to get my specs on to make sure I am reading off the appropriate scale .

• Like 1

Like others, my first suspicion would be over inflation.  It is the only way the centre tread can wear.

I NEVER trust forecourt or workshop gauges. 

A digital gauge costs a couple of quid.  I use mine every time.

I'm going to have to buy one I think as I'm not forking out £200 every 6 months. I'm very vigilant and have been since the first set went so quickly. I do believe it has something to do with the sport contact 5's. These falkens don't seem to scrabble for grip.