Interior image released

I popped in for a gander at the new Passat last night, not overly impressed tbh, still looks like a facelifted B6 tbh, I hope the extra additions gives the new Superb a bit more presence about it

I saw a new passat in the traffic the other day and the only thing that I noticed was it had a different interior mirror to the older passat. which was when it dawned on me it was the new one.

I saw a new passat in the traffic the other day and the only thing that I noticed was it had a different interior mirror to the older passat. which was when it dawned on me it was the new one.

In the showroom it looks longer and a bit Mondeo'ish at the front regarding the bonnet folds and wings, I quite liked it tbh but I've a mental coathook that says although the Skoda is made of VW parts the Skoda builder puts em together much better.

I was driving behind it and my intial reaction was that it was the out going one, then i spotted the interior mirror and knew that it was the new one. which was a bit of a surprise as i like it in the new advert on TV but this one looked quite bland

• 2 weeks later...

Any idea how the SIII compares with the previous model in terms of width?

The previous one had lots of legroom, but as a parent with 3 young kids it wasn’t worth me getting one as we couldn’t squeeze 3 car seats together across the rear seat…ended up with an S-Max as well as a Mk2 Octy.

The previous one had lots of legroom, but as a parent with 3 young kids it wasn’t worth me getting one as we couldn’t squeeze 3 car seats together across the rear seat…ended up with an S-Max as well as a Mk2 Octy.

The Mark III is 47mm wider and 28mm longer - the wheelbase itself is actually 80mm longer.  Its also 6mm higher than the previous

Taken from the Superb Press Kit (freely available at Skoda Media):

"Upgrade – a new dimension of comfort and space

The space of the new Superb has once again increased in comparison to the already

generous values of the previous model. The driver and front seat passenger enjoy 39 mm

more elbow room and more headroom. With 157 mm legroom the rear space is almost

‘stately’. This is about twice as much as in the nearest competitor model. The headroom

measures 980 mm; no other model in the segment can offer this. The rear elbow room

has increased by 69 mm. The 625-litre boot capacity is the top value in its segment, 30

litres more than in the second-generation Superb"

Hope this helps.

Edited by Alvaro

I was driving behind it and my intial reaction was that it was the out going one, then i spotted the interior mirror and knew that it was the new one. which was a bit of a surprise as i like it in the new advert on TV but this one looked quite bland

I've had the chance to see the B8 otr now a few times and it isn't that nice imo, it still looks like a Passat and you have to look hard to spot it's not a B7, main difference seems to be due to the new lights that make the car look like a partialy squashed down B7.

I've had the chance to see the B8 otr now a few times and it isn't that nice imo, it still looks like a Passat and you have to look hard to spot it's not a B7, main difference seems to be due to the new lights that make the car look like a partialy squashed down B7.

I was parked beside one yesterday.  The front of the B8 is impressive enough and quite imposing and does remind me more of the CC but its like they stopped designing it somewhere around the rear quarter as the light cluster doesn't look quite right.  There is even a hint of a Peugeot from the rear IMO!  Nice enough car but its still in the Mondeo/Insignia class and doesn't deserve to be pitched against the 'next level up' as they appear to be marketing it.  I think once we start seeing MkIII Superbs on the road the Passat wont look as impressive

I found these on the net, so I'm not sure how accurate they are. A few things to note though. Negatives first.

1) Why put the electric seat adjustment in such a stupid place?

2) That arm rest doesn't look as if it's going to be comfortable at that angle. I'd guess it will have the ratchet system to raise it level, but if like me, the car will be a taxi, then there is going to be the inevitable customer who puts his/her weight on it to help lever themselves out, thus breaking it.

Now the positives.

1) the air vent in the back is raised out of the way of clumsy feet when passengers get in and shuffle across

2) cool blue lights in the dash. I'm liking those.

post-80303-0-53493700-1428398804_thumb.jpg

post-80303-0-11258100-1428398833_thumb.jpg

post-80303-0-36580000-1428398860_thumb.jpg

post-80303-0-26939000-1428398876_thumb.jpg

Those controls are only on the passenger seat, and means that rear seat passengers can adjust the front seat for more leg room. If you look at the interior front picture you posted conventional seats buttons are in the usual place.

The armrest will have a ratchet in it as per current.

I found these on the net, so I'm not sure how accurate they are. A few things to note though. Negatives first.

1) Why put the electric seat adjustment in such a stupid place?

2) That arm rest doesn't look as if it's going to be comfortable at that angle. I'd guess it will have the ratchet system to raise it level, but if like me, the car will be a taxi, then there is going to be the inevitable customer who puts his/her weight on it to help lever themselves out, thus breaking it.

Now the positives.

1) the air vent in the back is raised out of the way of clumsy feet when passengers get in and shuffle across

2) cool blue lights in the dash. I'm liking those.

I think they look official enough.  Certainly very similar to what has been made available on the official Skoda websites.  The link below from the Skoda Ireland website has some decent interior and exterior shots of the MkIII.

http://www.skoda.ie/models/new-superb/

Those controls are only on the passenger seat, and means that rear seat passengers can adjust the front seat for more leg room. If you look at the interior front picture you posted conventional seats buttons are in the usual place.

Hardly neccassary though with the amount of leg room in the back of a Superb. I'm just envisioning drunks on the weekend, messing with it all the time.

Hardly neccassary though with the amount of leg room in the back of a Superb. I'm just envisioning drunks on the weekend, messing with it all the time.

Hence why it's just on the passenger front seat, not the driver

This feature was announced for the current FL Superb but didn't seem to make it to this part of the world for some reason (I think it may be in the Chinese market).  I'm sure there are some features that will be market specific and we may not see everything quite as advertised at launch.

It's a gimmick though, nothing more. You have to go to a 7 series or S Class to get the equivalent leg room, and they don't have this feature. In a car with limited rear legroom, yes I can see it working, but it's simply not needed on the Superb.

When I change my current car in a few years, it will be the elegance (or whatever they call the equivalent spec with this new model) or an L&K and to be honest I hope this is a feature that doesn't make it to the UK.

It's a gimmick though, nothing more. You have to go to a 7 series or S Class to get the equivalent leg room, and they don't have this feature. In a car with limited rear legroom, yes I can see it working, but it's simply not needed on the Superb.

When I change my current car in a few years, it will be the elegance (or whatever they call the equivalent spec with this new model) or an L&K and to be honest I hope this is a feature that doesn't make it to the UK.

It is not a gimmick. Don't forget that Superb is an executive car in certain markets where it is chauffeur driven mostly. This handy feature is not just for the Boss from Row 2 to move passenger Row 1 seat but also for the driver to easily move the front passenger seat...let's say even before his boss gets into the car from the drivers seat.

All F segment cars such as 7 series, S Class, A8, XJ have the same functionality in moving Row 1 passenger seat away but their seat switchpack strategy works differently to SIII. If you need more info as to what their strategy is...I can give you all the details. So, in response to your post...7 series / S Class HAVE  this feature

It is not a gimmick. Don't forget that Superb is an executive car in certain markets where it is chauffeur driven mostly. This handy feature is not just for the Boss from Row 2 to move passenger Row 1 seat but also for the driver to easily move the front passenger seat...let's say even before his boss gets into the car from the drivers seat.

All F segment cars such as 7 series, S Class, A8, XJ have the same functionality in moving Row 1 passenger seat away but their seat switchpack strategy works differently to SIII. If you need more info as to what their strategy is...I can give you all the details. So, in response to your post...7 series / S Class HAVE  this feature

As someone suggested earlier in this thread, it was introduced on the Superb II but only for the chinese market. I can understand why it is used there, because the more rear legroom there is, the higher the perceived status. That is why Audi make a long wheelbase A6 specifically for the chinese market.

Regards chauffeur driven cars, I've chauffeured people myself In my job, and if you know there are only two passengers, you put the front seat all the way forward BEFORE picking the customers up. People who are chauffeur driven tend to have money, they don't want to be the one trying to adjust the front seats, hence 7 series, and S Class cars not having this feature operable by the rear seat passengers. If they do have it, then I apologise, but I haven't seen it. My dad has an S Class, and while it has heated massaging seats, there is nothing in the rear to allow the rear seat passenger to move the front seats forward.

My dad has an S Class, and while it has heated massaging seats, there is nothing in the rear to allow the rear seat passenger to move the front seats forward.

You should read through the manual. There are controls for all the front seat adjustments in the rear seat:

http://moba.i.daimler.com/baixn/cars/222/en_GB/index.html#../../../cars/222/en_GB/manual/subchapter_05_31.shtml:3658ef655dc6253935477e682ebe2ebe-7

• 5 months later...

The Mk II certainly has the wood inserts (well maybe not quite real wood!) from elegance up and in some mid range models too.  I have a lighter shade of wood inserts on my L&K and they look very nice indeed.  I agree about the lighter interiors colours - here's the ivory interior in the Mk III.  The wood veneer sadly doesn't appear to be offered in the Mk III  :thumbdown: (see quote below from the press release)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNvKBoOy8eA

The choice of trim strips for the dashboard and door covering has been reinterpreted.

In total, there are four trim variants: metallic grey, light aluminium-look, dark

aluminium-look and Piano Black.

In fact the wood trim on the dashboard and door cappings AND a wooden steering wheel are available on the Chinese version of this car, and they look marvellous, well befitting the excellent but otherwise rather bland interior.

In fact the wood trim on the dashboard and door cappings AND a wooden steering wheel are available on the Chinese version of this car, and they look marvellous, well befitting the excellent but otherwise rather bland interior.

Well variety is the spice of life I suppose lol ! Just don't forget to pass me the sick bucket ! ;-)

• Like 1

Well, Nick, I had people complaining because I dared suggest that the new Jaguars haven't got enough wood veneer inside. if it's good enough for real luxury cars like Rollers and Bentleys, what's the objection? It seems a new fashion just to have leather and fake metal or if lucky real aluminium. Personally I absolutely loathe the pointless and vulgar silvery plastic **** trims that cars seem to abound in these days. What's the problem with wood? It has history and gives balance to a high tech environment

• Like 1