Sawtoothing tyres on Mkiii vrs

• 3 months later...

Hi, i'm new to briskoda, and I know this is a slightly old topic, but have just noticed saw toothing present on MY14 Elegance Est which has covered 15000 miles. 

It seems to be present on both the inner and out edge of all 4 wheels!

I've been to the dealer and all they've suggested is a 4 wheel alignment (apparently they don't have the capability themselves!), so i'm going to take it to my local tyre shop that i've been using regularly for the past 6/7 year. However my understanding is that the rear suspension is not adjustable on versions other than the 4x4 or VRs, therefore what can be done to fix this? Has anyone else experienced this problem on all 4 wheels and on both innner and out edges?

Its running on Michelin Primacy rubber.

Had saw-toothing on my 911, changed tyres all gone, don't both with a wheel alignment unless you are getting uneven wear. 

I thought I had the same on my last Octy, only 20,000 miles but it turned out to be a front wheel bearing, all changed under warranty, wished i had taken it in earlier, I thought I could drive the noise away as i thought it was saw-toothing again!!

To early on my vRS.......

Had saw-toothing on my 911, changed tyres all gone, don't both with a wheel alignment unless you are getting uneven wear. 

One of the causes of saw toothing is the alignment being out - if you ignore it you will ruin the next set of tyres.

Some brands of tyres are more susceptible to saw toothing than others though due to the tread patterns.

Some interesting reading here

http://www.continental.co.za/Uploads/TyreDamage_2013-14_engl%281%29.pdf

Moving on from this I ended up getting two Eagle F1's from camskill to match the others which Im getting fitted soon.

Im a bit nervous now about getting a 4 wheel hunter alignment as Ive heard horror stories on the audi forum about getting this done which then sends the ACC calibration askew from the steering and you then have to pay for an expensive alignment.

So, question is has anyone with ACC or lane assist had a four wheel alignment done and was it all ok?

http://www.hunter-d.de/US/oem/vag/vas6292/5155TE_05.pdf

Hunter have a rig designed for VAG cars with the radar and lane assist camera so that everything can be adjusted in one go.

Haven't got a clue if anyone has one though - given that Audi have been fitting these systems for quite a few years now I would expect there to be some about .......

The place that have just done my alignment have one of the newest Hunter alignment rigs, when the tech was putting in my vehicle information it asked did my car have ACC.

• 3 months later...

I tried to get alignment at my closest place with Hunter gear, Volksmaster in Bury; http://www.volksmasterltd.co.uk/

but after asking for my reg number said they couldn't do it as they didn't have the equipment to setup the lane-assist.

I've since enquired at Drury Lane services in Oldham who say they can; http://www.drurylaneservices.com/

Hope this is of use to others

I tried to get alignment at my closest place with Hunter gear, Volksmaster in Bury; http://www.volksmasterltd.co.uk/

but after asking for my reg number said they couldn't do it as they didn't have the equipment to setup the lane-assist.

I've since enquired at Drury Lane services in Oldham who say they can; http://www.drurylaneservices.com/

Hope this is of use to others

They are not touching the Lane assist though

• 4 weeks later...

I had saw toothing on my Mk 2FL rears but the tracking could be changed on that car. I got the same problem on the rears of my Mk 3 at about 40k but it has the fixed back axle.

I just swapped the wheels round. Cured the problem immediately. Lovely silence again.

Dill

Bought my vRS (ex-Skoda UK) with 5.5k miles on the Bridgestone Potenzas.

I had a Hunter alignment check and all wheels were within tolerance.  I had them matched in the middle of the range just for peace of mind.

To be honest, this is something that I have done as soon as I have bought my last few cars -  Skoda or otherwise.  I just look on it as part of the cost of getting the car.  On two occasions I have got the dealer to pay for the alignment as a 'sweetener' for the deal! :happy:

I had this happen on my last car a Golf with 225's on had the sawtoothing on the rears. The narrower winter tyres wore perfectly though. A 4 wheel alignment at the Veedub dealers cured it though and I had no further issues.

Funnily enough I possibly have this on my (used but new to me!) octavia, which I only got back today. Or if not, just bad noise from them.

Its no where near as bad as that though, so probably just down to budget tyres rather than fully sawtoothed, haven't really got a good chance to look yet.

I recognised the tyre wear noise as I've had it with crap experience with tyres in the past, namely "budget" like Kumho and had this kind of irregular sawtooth wear on with my Fabia mk1 vRS ( mostly on the back tyres), but in that case it was severely annoying, whilst this is just a bit noiser than I'd expect.

Guess what tyres are on my car to suspect they may be causing roadnoise! You guessed it, Kumhos.

So first thing I do when these have fully worn these is put some semi-decent ones on like RS3's

• 1 year later...

I have this annoying oscillating road noise on my 2014 vRS TDI - guess what - kumho ecsta le sport fitted by the dealer when supplied to me, I wasn't sure if it was bearing noise or sawtoothing - both the front and rear tyres appear to have a small amount of sawtoothing present and the tyre is a "blocky" type.

Perhaps I'll get it checked on a 4 wheel hunter alignment rig and rotate the wheels. Else I've got to put up with the noise or shell out for new tyres, they only have 5k miles on them. ☹️

I wonder if if others have the same issue though I can't say they'd be suffering in silence!

I think I could do with my car's wheel alignment done too (wandering slightly to one side, and uneven tyre wear).

What's a ballpark cost of getting it done at say Drury Lane, Volksmaster or some other company with the Hunter alignment kit?

Cheers,

Trystan

3 hours ago, trystan said:

I think I could do with my car's wheel alignment done too (wandering slightly to one side, and uneven tyre wear).

What's a ballpark cost of getting it done at say Drury Lane, Volksmaster or some other company with the Hunter alignment kit?

Cheers,

Trystan

I've previously used A line in Dudley West Midlands and found them to be very good. They charge £10 for a check and up to £50 for full adjustment. I don't know how this compares nationally but I think it's worth it. Had a check previously and only cost £10, I've also had full alignment and it's spot on.

Greenliner, thanks for that, it's not bad at all then - I didn't realize there was an option to just check the alignment without carrying out the work, so that's good to know too.

T

I got my front wheels aligned today (the rears can't be aligned on a Mkii) by KwikFit for £45 and watched the alignments on a screen in the waiting area. Steers straight now. 

I thought that all mk 2 had multilink rear suspension that should be aligned?

That was the issue i had with mine and resulting sawtoothing.

Mk3s with torsion bar rear suspension cannot be adjusted

Gerrycan,

My mistake entirely - I do apologize - I'd searched originally on wheel alignment, and posted on the topic, then I've just realised that I've somehow ended up on the forum of the bigger brother of the Fabia that i drive, the Octavia. I meant the MkII Fabia, not the MkII Octavia. I'm a newbie here.

T

I too have had issues with sawtoothing. I swapped my wheels back to front after around 10k to try and get some more mileage out of them. I did have a 4 wheel alignment check recently, although as others have stated the rear is not adjustable on most models. Certainly worth a check though. I managed around 20k before they were visibly out of shape.

Interestingly, a drone from the front which i put down to the tyres previously being on the rear has s steadily got louder in the last 10k. New front tyres didn't help so a trip yesterday to the main dealer has confirmed wheel bearing noise. Now booked in for replacement, however the car is now a few weeks out of warranty! I should have investigated sooner but was convinced it was tyre drone. I am hoping a 'goodwill' claim from Skoda may help towards the cost..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, coloneldolomite said:

I too have had issues with sawtoothing. I swapped my wheels back to front after around 10k to try and get some more mileage out of them. I did have a 4 wheel alignment check recently, although as others have stated the rear is not adjustable on most models. Certainly worth a check though. I managed around 20k before they were visibly out of shape.

Interestingly, a drone from the front which i put down to the tyres previously being on the rear has s steadily got louder in the last 10k. New front tyres didn't help so a trip yesterday to the main dealer has confirmed wheel bearing noise. Now booked in for replacement, however the car is now a few weeks out of warranty! I should have investigated sooner but was convinced it was tyre drone. I am hoping a 'goodwill' claim from Skoda may help towards the cost..

Interesting, I'll get my ones checked next service, I'm still unsure - it seems I'm in the same situation as you were with alignment / rotation the next steps.

Hope you get it sorted and get some goodwill. Thanks for your feedback and good luck.

• 1 month later...
On 8/31/2017 at 23:03, Greenliner1 said:

Interesting, I'll get my ones checked next service, I'm still unsure - it seems I'm in the same situation as you were with alignment / rotation the next steps.

Hope you get it sorted and get some goodwill. Thanks for your feedback and good luck.

I can confirm the noise was the front wheel bearings. Two new front ones replaced and the noise has gone, so very pleased.