I am having Hybrid thoughts.... Golf GTE

James I

Golf has been given back today, I now have the wait until October until mine arrives, I will update then and let you know what it is like to live with.  

• Like 2

Have seen two of these now - one parked up over the Silverstone F1 weekend on the same campsite and another one on the move. Would agree - it's the best looking of it's kind I've seen :thumbup:

Does run noticeably higher on the road than a GTI/GTD IMO. Was tailing the one I saw and the stance and appearance on the road looks different. Also perhaps slightly narrower wheels? But you'd probably have to be quite sad to notice..... ;)

• Like 1

Wardy, it does sit high. Looks like a Fabia VRS 2.    I am sure I can find a couple of fatty's to sit in it, this should lower it a bit

Golf has been given back today, I now have the wait until October until mine arrives, I will update then and let you know what it is like to live with.  

think you've been lucky  I was told 2 days ago no more orders 'till 2016    shall await your review with interest

• Like 1

Does run noticeably higher on the road than a GTI/GTD IMO. Was tailing the one I saw and the stance and appearance on the road looks different. Also perhaps slightly narrower wheels? But you'd probably have to be quite sad to notice..... ;)

It shouldn't be as according to the brochure it has the same size wheels & tyres as the GTI/GTD/R and the same sports suspension (-15mm) as well.

Maybe the car is new & the suspension hasn't settled, I know mine took a few miles to settle down in height! 

VW give different dimensions in their Comparisons on the Website. 

so

Mk7 GTE          1457 mm high

Mk7 GTD / GTI 1442 mm high

Mk7 R               1436 mm high                         Only the difference between oo and ahh, but 1" does matter to some,

VW give different dimensions in their Comparisons on the Website. 

so

Mk7 GTE          1457 mm high

Mk7 GTD / GTI 1442 mm high

Mk7 R               1436 mm high                         Only the difference between oo and ahh, but 1" does matter to some,

VW info can contradict it's self. They stated o/a heights & ground clearance give the GTD/GTI a drop of 15mm from standard, & the R a drop of 20mm & they don't say for the GTE. But it is supposed to have a drop of -15mm.............

You get Clearance differences with Front Splitters and under floor protection, so they are not like for like because they are Golfs.

and there are contradictions & just plain wrong figures published regularly, just check out Official Spec on the likes of Greenlines with Skoda.

(& wrong Info in Media Launch Packs, that then get repeated by the Media from then on.)

Sometimes figures need taken with a pinch of salt, 

but it is always easy to measure or look at new cars side by side and see if you can spot the 5mm. 10mm etc height difference.

*it is easier to measure roof heights than it is to get a Clearance under a car measured.*

You get Clearance differences with Front Splitters and under floor protection, so they are not like for like because they are Golfs.

and there are contradictions & just plain wrong figures published regularly, just check out Official Spec on the likes of Greenlines with Skoda.

(& wrong Info in Media Launch Packs, that then get repeated by the Media from then on.)

Sometimes figures need taken with a pinch of salt, 

but it is always easy to measure or look at new cars side by side and see if you can spot the 5mm. 10mm etc height difference.

*it is easier to measure roof heights than it is to get a Clearance under a car measured.*

Agree, but then you have to ask whether the car has a full or empty tank of fuel/boot etc................The difference on my Golf is very noticeable between full & empty tank of fuel! More so than added adding extra passengers!

I am quite happy it has a bit of clearance as I have to drive 2 miles down gravel farm tracks to get to my house, more suited to a LandRover or Yeti, my 1 series M sport has had a hard few months rattling down the lane to the house and now has very rattly front suspension components.

Hope the Golf lasts better than the BMW has, if not there is always warranty to fall back on.

fabdavrav,

Well it is kind of obvious that 2 identical vehicles but one carrying 200- 300 kg will sit lower than one with no laden weight.

But you can look at cars awaiting delivery, transit blocks off, a few delivery miles and 20 litres of fuel in and 

thats going to be about as good a time to compare as anytime.

Anyway, a Golf GTE is no lightweight with it having an Engine, Batteries and Electric Motor. 

Worth checking out just which Springs and Dampers it has compared to say a 1.4TSI ACT DSG Golf Hatch.

http://carwow.co.uk/blog/VW-Golf-Dimensions-334

I am told that UK dealers have an allocation of cars between them, if I was to insist on xenon headlamps I would have to wait until end of Feb 2016 however, the lease company has sourced a car without xenon's but it does have a whole lot more than I asked for, even park assist gimmick.

TBH I am not too fussed what spec it comes with, the demo was a really nice drive so I would have been happy a with poverty spec car as I rarely use the extras in my BMW 1 series.

Roll on Friday.

FWIW, I 'm due to take delivery of a Lexus IS300h Advance in early August, it has a 2.5ltr petrol engine linked to a regen Lecky motor, this is to replace my Merc C220 diesel (Mrs Baxlin has the Fabia). I don't anticipate it being more economical than the Merc, which is really frugal, but I do feel that we dieseleers have been sold up the river a bit politically, so it's more socially acceptable.

If anyone's interested, I can report back?

Malcolm

My Passat has just gone over it's leasing mileage agreement 3 months early and needs two new tyres so my comapny are trying to get my GTE early as well :)

Was ordered for November the 2nd so i'm hoping Arnold Clark have it sitting in a yard somewhere ready to go and can get it here earlier!

Need some pics James!

I have had my Golf for 24 hours now and travelled 100 miles, I have to say I am impressed with it, I have not achieved 166 mpg yet....... but I did not think I ever would, just travelling about Tadcaster, Leeds area today, I can say that in any mode other than GTE mode the car drives well, it decided when it will use petrol or electric etc and is fine car to get around in.

GTE mode, this is something else, stab the throttle and away it goes, sounds good and easily spins the wheels as you press on out a roundabout etc.  The car I got has a few more things than I asked for too, heated seats, park assist, LED head lamps, nav, adaptive cruise control and a few more bits and pieces making it a well specced motor.

I have to say that the menus and options in the menus go on for ever!  I have never had a car with so many options to choose from, it will take me at leat 6 months to remember how to navigate around them.

I will get some picture taken and post them up.

So far I am very happy with the Golf.

30 miles on just electric, that is mixed driving, town and dual carriageway, it is strange seeing the rev counter drop to zero whilst still driving at 60 mph when using hybrid mode, then when going up hill or accelerating the rev counter goes up and petrol and electric are used.

It is great, so far so good.

the car I got has a few more things than I asked for too, heated seats, park assist, LED head lamps, nav, adaptive cruise control and a few more bits and pieces making it a well specced motor.

I have to say that the menus and options in the menus go on for ever!  I have never had a car with so many options to choose from, it will take me at leat 6 months to remember how to navigate around them.

I speced heated seats for the winters & although they don't have the vari position dial of my old Fabia & just have 3 pre-set temps they are fine, you can alter those temps with VCDS. The ACC I got as standard spec & never thought about using it as never had cruise & use my foot !......However on the A9 with those average speed cameras I would not do with out the ACC!! Just set to 60mph & it just sits there & slows down etc all auto. Then when you come to a 70mph zone & sitting behind a slow lorry just press the  + button on the left side twice (each press is 5mph) & the car will strain against itself until you can pull out past the lorry on the start of the dual section, great, do need for driver input!!! Makes for a very relaxing drive when you are tired!.

As for menus, yep I agree, but I've been inside with VCDS & that's real fun!

Edited by fabdavrav
  • Like 1