New engines for Yeti from week 22

RapidRonnie

You can't compare CO2 directly to mpg across petrol and diesel, there's more carbon (and energy) in a gallon of diesel than a gallon of petrol, that's why it costs more.

You can but only to some level of accuracy (i.e. you can't with total accuracy, but its not far out...). 

A spot of googling finds...

See the 2nd table in this doc here and note the g CO2 per mile difference between diesel and petrol (for their assumptions) is 327 vs 328. Not a big percentage difference there!

More significant is probably the difference between government CO2 figures and real-life engine usage. Diesels tend to spend their life at lower revs due to higher torque. But with the turbo petrols the torque / drivability differences are much reduced...

Will be interesting to see how this maps in real life... if the HJ VW Tiguan 1,4 4WD realmpg % govt mpg attained maps over to the Yeti , it might be quite good! Note the Tiguan 1.4 4WD is >170 CO2 rating...

Edited by Totally Square

Will be interesting to see how this maps in real life... if the HJ VW Tiguan 1,4 4WD realmpg % govt mpg attained maps over to the Yeti , it might be quite good! Note the Tiguan 1.4 4WD is >170 CO2 rating...

But that's an entirely different engine isn't it? (the twincharged 1400cc supercharger and turbocharged unit as used in the Fabia VRS?) The 1.4 in the Golf SV should be a better indicator of what to expect Id have thought.

Must admit I was under the impression that the 1.4 TSI 150psi was AWD and available with DSG.

Tony

So was I and I hope that's in fact the case as if it is I'll be buying one as soon as it's available.

The new 150 diesel is likely to be an SCR engine requiring AdBlue? What are the pros and cons of this system compared with the old 140 DPF system?

Is it?

Evidence please.

Looking at the economy figures for the 150 petrol and diesel, given petrol is a little cheaper the fuel costs look virtually identical. What are the main pros and cons of the 1.4 TSI vs 2.0 TDI? Is the any evidence the diesel will be more expensive, less reliable in the long run?

And if it does, the fluid will likely just be replaced/topped-up at service. You won't need a drum of it at home!

I doubt that would work - consumption is around 2% to 3% of fuel usage. I think if SCR were ever to be applied to private vehicles filling stations would really need to be equipped with dispensing systems.

I doubt that would work - consumption is around 2% to 3% of fuel usage. I think if SCR were ever to be applied to private vehicles filling stations would really need to be equipped with dispensing systems.

Most filling stations I use have it in 5 and 25litre containers. Its not too expensive either

There are already lots of private cars with SCR systems, I expect it to be common on any large (~150PS+) EU6 diesel, which could well include the Yeti from next month.

• Like 1

There are already lots of private cars with SCR systems, I expect it to be common on any large (~150PS+) EU6 diesel, which could well include the Yeti from next month.

I'd hadn't realised that. Just another fill point we'll have to get used to in the future then. 

What happens if it runs out when driving? It there a 'grace period' before the engine goes into reduced power or whatever limitation is applied?

No personal experience but it sounds like you get warnings as it starts to run out but then ultimately stops the car starting at all! It does seem to improve efficiency though taking the Yeti from 5.8 L/100k to 5.1 ... if it's the main change between the 140 and 150 engines. That ~£80 fuel saving over 10000km would more than of set the Adblue cost.

All very interesting but until Skoda UK announces the engine line up for UK I remain sceptical that we will get the full range. If the build date is end May (Week 22) then I would have thought that the new engines would have been announced by now? For those ordering a new Yeti now how will they know what engine they are getting - or will Skoda use up all their stocks of "old" engines on orders until end May??

All I want is a petrol AWD, most definitely a Yeti if there is one. If it transpires at the end of all this that there isn't going to be one, I'll have to resurrect my investigations into a Vitara or Renegade.

I guess Yetis ordered now will be MY16, I find it odd that folk will get cars they haven't specifically ordered.

Aside the engines, anyone know if any other options are changing?

Look at the small print! "Specifications are subject to alterations". However, if they change you are not obliged to accept if they don't come up to your exceptions.  Be aware, however, that some changes have only been available at extra charge on some models, i.e.

Bluetooth was a chargeable extra on my previous SE but came included this time (probably part of the price increase though!).

I didn't even know it was there until I read another post on here, so much for the supplying dealer. :devil:

Viva Briskoda!

The dealer will be advised though and should inform you and give you the option to not continue with the order.

I think this is often the source of "stock" models, note I said often, I know the dealers have to order for stock.

Fred

More info now... and looks like the new diesels do have SCR. No more 'Greenline', Elegance as become SE L. Very disappointedly the 150 TSI is only available in the very pricy L&K, guess they don't want to sell many. I think a lot of people would have chosen the Petrol in SE or SE L as it would have been cheaper than the 150 TDI, alas, SUK had other ideas.

The 150PS diesel is a nice improvement on the old 140 though; much more efficient and 0-62 in 9.1 sec compared to 9.9. 

http://www.carbuyer.co.uk/reviews/skoda/yeti/sports-utility-vehicle/review

Fully agree with the disappointing comment re the only AWD petrol version. I've been waiting for the petrol AWD but don't really want to have to pay for a lot of "extras" I don't need or want in what will be essentially a working (albeit low mileage - hence the petrol version) vehicle.

Maybe time for another look at the Vitara and Renegade.