What to replace the Fabia VRS with? Clio RS 220?

lol-lol

Find a good Seat Dealer & a good honest salesperson because they would never suffer a 100% Customer dissatisfaction would they?

They would probably be your best friend ever if you were to take a Seat Leon Cupra 280 DSG off their hands, 

or order a new one.

& a Leon 180 ps 1.8TSI FR might well be had for under £20,000

?  

Have you driven the Clio RS 200 1.6T yet?

You might be on the Christmas Card list for ever if you buy one of those.

If you buy at the First Price they are talking, you can maybe have the salesperson's partner on a Time Share basis.

Buyers Market right now with Hot Hatches.

Most Dealer networks strike me a desperate Dans trying to sell you the car with lines like "What will it take for us to get your business" and I do not think the words " an honest, empathetic deal" would fizz on them or they would understnad what that is.  As their margins are often wafer thin on the actual car they do their best to force you to have GAP/upholstery protection/admin fee to boost their margin and just put me off.

I just ordered the Logan from the dealer that has just converted from Skoda to Renault/Dacia (Dacia-the new Skoda type brand) and that may **** off the local Renault garage as I did test their Dacia Logan Lauteate diesel, (the diesel was truly rough as *ssh*les and the turbo-petrol much nicer and quicker and still on £35 road tax) but they are RenaultSport and Savilles are not yet but Worcester has a 2013 Renault Clio RS so I will have to be nice to get a ride in it.  The test ride in their Logan was about 3 miles which did not help their case to get the deal.

I have a wonderful Renault Dealership near, Family Owned and run for 'Long Time Mister', with staff that can not do enough to get you what you want, make sure you are happy, and make sure you come back to them.

Sadly they never have what i want, and i am too tight to buy from them, 

because i go to the very cheapest even if it means getting on a 99 Pence Stage Coach Bus or Ryanair.

But i am tight & stupid.  Rather spending an extra £200-£300 on Fuel and B&B's if they will not drop that little bit extra price.

Edited by goneoffSKi

I picked up my Cupra on Friday, the dealer Westgate Seat who are also joined with Skoda were lovely I even got a massive bunch of flowers. The car is fantastic, so much fun to drive. I love the Leon Cupra looks wise it just seems to drive like a tank in comparison to the Ibiza!

Very much enjoyed my Fabia 2 VRS and like the 185 hp A1, Polo GTI with the twincharge the SEAT Ibiza Cupra twincharge is a great car to drive.

Body roll in the Ibiza Cupra should be better than the Fabia I would guess but the need for 98 OCtane fuel ie Shell or Tescos Momentum a slight pain.

I have done nearly 100K miles in the Fabia 2 VRS, it does drink oil a bit in fits and starts and the oil pan reservoir is too smal iMO.  Oil level light can come up alll too quicky if you do not check a fill every couple of thousand miles.

7 speed DSG gets confused sometimes, it will be interesting to see if this happens to the Clio RS sometimes.

Shame VW-Audi-SEAT-Skoda have consigned the twincharge to history, at least for now, over the 1.8 TSI with its direct and indirect fuel injection, i like the technology though I would have thought the 192 hp 1.8 TSI is excellent, it was great even as a 160 hp engine.

Volvo are going ahead with Twinchargers in big and small engines, petrol & diesel,

and the Chairman was the CEO of VW USA, so he knows a bit about them,

and VW would maybe like to pretend the past 5 years with the Under 1.4 Engine of the year never happened.

VW, Audi, Seat & Skoda never have admitted or accept they have issues.

http://revotechnik.com/support/technical/14tsi-twincharger-engine-issues

Edited by goneoffSKi

Volvo are going ahead with Twinchargers in big and small engines, petrol & diesel,

and the Chairman was the CEO of VW USA, so he knows a bit about them,

and VW would maybe like to pretend the past 5 years with the Under 1.4 Engine of the year never happened.

VW, Audi, Seat & Skoda never have admitted or accept they have issues.

http://revotechnik.com/support/technical/14tsi-twincharger-engine-issues

Volvo now owned by the Chinese as is a third of Citreon/Peugeot and it will be interesting to see how cheap these cars will go to wipe the other countries markets out from under them as has occured with most other goods.

The EU can impose Anti-Dumping Duty as well as the 10% Customs duty but how long will we keep them out.

MG here in Longbridge spend much of their time buying other franchise cars and dis-assembling them for reverse engineering purposes.

If 110ps is enough & you want a DSG, Skoda are going to be selling these Monte Carlo models shortly.

If they gave it the Suspension & 1.8TSI Engine that VW, Audi & Seat get they could have a real winner, especially in Estate form.

(Maybe that is the issue, not good to be taking sales from those other VWG Brands or even the bigger Skoda Models.)

Edited by goneoffSKi

If 110ps is enough & you want a DSG, Skoda are going to be selling these Monte Carlo models shortly.

If they gave it the Suspension & 1.8TSI Engine that VW, Audi & Seat get they could have a real winner, especially in Estate form.

(Maybe that is the issue, not good to be taking sales from those other VWG Brands or even the bigger Skoda Models.)

Well the Dacia Logan I have ordered has a mere 90 hp but that is one for the, "think how much money I am making claiming mileage etc" and not that I can set the pulse racing.

I think you need about 150 hp per ton all up to have a some fun and not be an also ran.  I would like to be a in a sub 7 second to 60 mph car ie a little bit of an imporvement over the Fabia 2 VRS plus better in car electronics which are poor in the Fabia 2 VRS as it is a relative old design.

Even the Dacia ordered will have the 7" screen MediaNav system.  Change the Clio RS to sound like a V6 Gordini or Nissan GTR is proper childish but would give it go.

• Like 1

Probably because like me he can see the tide is turning against diesels and in a few years if that happens depreciation will be like chucking a brick in a lake,just a thought.I to have looked at the renault and polo they both have drawbacks so I guess it's heart or head choice .

Probably because like me he can see the tide is turning against diesels and in a few years if that happens depreciation will be like chucking a brick in a lake,just a thought.I to have looked at the renault and polo they both have drawbacks so I guess it's heart or head choice .

With diesel cars more expensive and diesel fuel more expensive than 95 octane petrol each time I have done a calculation ie putting the £1K. £2K, £3K, £4K, £8K I have to spend on a diesel car to get simlar performance to the petrol car I just cannot see the cost justification of a diesel in the UK.

On the continent a no brainer where diesel fuel is 5-15% cheaper than petrol rather than 5% more than petrol.

Petrol tend to have a higher percentage of maximum power across more of the rev range.

What I do like about diesel is the greater range on a single tank which sometimes can prove the tale of the tortoise and the hare ie stopping for ten minutes to fuel up can mean the diesel does the journey quicker. 

Diesel, particulary the Euro5 and below versions, may well be fined for entering larger cities.  Some of the figures suggesting diesels (with PM10 particles) cause tens of thousands of extra deaths across Europe and quite concerning. 

Bmw m135i

Sub 6 second (think one mag measured sub 5)

8 speed auto

Low mileage options @ £25k ish

One of my temptations

M135i Yo!

The official figures for the auto are 4.9s to 60. I think quite a few people/mags have timed them quicker than that though.

M135i Yo!

The official figures for the auto are 4.9s to 60. I think quite a few people/mags have timed them quicker than that though.

Very dependant on tarmac temperature I would have thought.

Front wheel drive, OK

Rear Wheel drive Better.

4 wheel drive - Best

As to the 135i I would find the need to fill up twice in a day a bit of a pain.  With a fuel card the cost of fuel, at 35 mpg, would not be so much of a issue but the lost of time filing up morning and evening.  I would say the 125d is more of a contender to me as a high mileage drive even though I do not usually like to choose diesel over petrol.

We are still waiting for figures for the Clio RS 220 but expect it to be close to 6s to 60 mph and hopefully a RRP around £22K.  I can live with 450 miles range as I do with Fabia 2 VRS.

• Like 1

Very dependant on tarmac temperature I would have thought.

Front wheel drive, OK

Rear Wheel drive Better.

4 wheel drive - Best

As to the 135i I would find the need to fill up twice in a day a bit of a pain.  With a fuel card the cost of fuel, at 35 mpg, would not be so much of a issue but the lost of time filing up morning and evening.  I would say the 125d is more of a contender to me as a high mileage drive even though I do not usually like to choose diesel over petrol.

We are still waiting for figures for the Clio RS 220 but expect it to be close to 6s to 60 mph and hopefully a RRP around £22K.  I can live with 450 miles range as I do with Fabia 2 VRS.

If you're doing very high mileage then I'd agree an M135i might not be wise but you' might be quite surprised at its motorway fuel economy. The Auto car will do just over 40mpg quite happily on a motorway cruise at 75ish. 400-450 miles to a tank shouldn't be an issue on long motorway runs. I recently drive from Cornwall to Birmingham in it at *ahem* quite a high average speed shall we say and used just 2/3rd if a tank.

Obviously beating it on A and B roads and short journeys around town will see economy fall off quite abit.

There isn't a massive difference in economy between our M135i and vRS. I get a range of approximately 270 miles between fills but that is mainly a lot of town work with a few weekend cross-country blasts thrown in. SWMBO seems to get about 320 miles between fills. Granted it is a slightly smaller tank in the skoda but if you factor in Mrs Furbytoms sedate driving style I don't think the gulf is that huge! :-)

Have you been out yet in a Clio RS to see if it is to your liking, seating, gearbox etc?

If the Cilo RS 220 Trophy drinks fuel just the same as the current Clio RS 200 you will be at the Fuel station more often than you are with 

the Twincharger, even given the larger capacity fuel tank.

?

What is the annual mileage you do driving the Daily Driver?

EDIT,

They actually give it as the same size of Fuel Tank.

http://topgear.com/uk/renault/clio/spec/19814

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Inzz_knf2QE

Edited by goneoffSKi

If you're doing very high mileage then I'd agree an M135i might not be wise but you' might be quite surprised at its motorway fuel economy. The Auto car will do just over 40mpg quite happily on a motorway cruise at 75ish. 400-450 miles to a tank shouldn't be an issue on long motorway runs. I recently drive from Cornwall to Birmingham in it at *ahem* quite a high average speed shall we say and used just 2/3rd if a tank.   Obviously beating it on A and B roads and short journeys around town will see economy fall off quite abit.   There isn't a massive difference in economy between our M135i and vRS. I get a range of approximately 270 miles between fills but that is mainly a lot of town work with a few weekend cross-country blasts thrown in. SWMBO seems to get about 320 miles between fills. Granted it is a slightly smaller tank in the skoda but if you factor in Mrs Furbytoms sedate driving style I don't think the gulf is that huge! :-)

Can you vent fill the M135 as I often put in around 50 litres in the Fabia 2 VRS just before a long journey which gives me the 450 average range.  On a toodle up to Glasgow and back ie over 600 miles from here I did it on one fuel tank and still and 15 miles left admittedly often cruising around 60 mph as I was on the phon crusiing with the lorries.

A few years back my boss had a Jag XKR, struggled to get 300 miles on a tank and I thought what a nice car but what a lemon when you often do 350-400 miles a day or in two days.

Have you been out yet in a Clio RS to see if it is to your liking, seating, gearbox etc?   If the Cilo RS 220 Trophy drinks fuel just the same as the current Clio RS 200 you will be at the Fuel station more often than you are with the Twincharger, even given the larger capacity fuel tank.

?

What is the annual mileage you do driving the Daily Driver?

EDIT,

They actually give it as the same size of Fuel Tank.

http://topgear.com/uk/renault/clio/spec/19814

My local garage has just got one in but I am reticent about going there as I tried their Dacia Logan, the horrible diesel engined one, and then bought/leased the petrol version from another dealer so hoping they call me or I pluck up enough courage or just lie about part exchanging the Fabia 2 VRS.

The quoted fuel consumption on the Clio RS is very similar to the Fabia 2 VRS and the fuel tank is the same so it will be intresting to see how similar the range is.  I could look on the Forums but like on this forum most people get awful fuel consumption as they drive mostly short journeys and employ no fuel saving techniques or do venting for range.  Clio RS 220 has some tweaks over the 200 hp EDC which has lowered the CO2 rating but not sure about the fuel consumption.  With the more torque and power they could change the gearing as it is "only" six speed. Still searching for some proper figures but the 220 is not due out for a couple of months so tests will only be occuring shortly I guess. 

Cannot see any useful figures on Fuelly ot the Renaultsports forum.

Fuelly reckons 37 mpg for the Fabia VRS, What Car True MPG reckoned 39 mpg against Skoda's 45 combined MPG.

Half expecting similar with the Clio RS but continuing to search for some feedback on the web.

Can you vent fill the M135 as I often put in around 50 litres in the Fabia 2 VRS just before a long journey which gives me the 450 average range.  On a toodle up to Glasgow and back ie over 600 miles from here I did it on one fuel tank and still and 15 miles left admittedly often cruising around 60 mph as I was on the phon crusiing with the lorries.

A few years back my boss had a Jag XKR, struggled to get 300 miles on a tank and I thought what a nice car but what a lemon when you often do 350-400 miles a day or in two days.

Not sure if you can vent fill it or not, haven't tried tbh. A lot of owners do complain about the small fuel tank tho. Not so much because of the fuel cost but the hassle of having to fill it up frequently. Never bothered me too much however.

• Like 1

I was going to go and have a look at a Swift Sport today but couldn't be arsed. It would be pretty much ideal for me (it's not quick but it has enough go to make progress). However, I may yet do the maniac thing and keep the vRS :) - it has not even done 25,000 and I know I will miss it when it has gone.

• Like 1

I was going to go and have a look at a Swift Sport today but couldn't be arsed. It would be pretty much ideal for me (it's not quick but it has enough go to make progress). However, I may yet do the maniac thing and keep the vRS :) - it has not even done 25,000 and I know I will miss it when it has gone.

I will miss the Fabia 2 VRS big time.  But it has done nearly 100K miles, driven it for about 3 years and life it too short to just keep going in the same car.

My very well serving local Skoda Dealership has been disenfranchised by Skoda, despite having pretty much the highest marks for customer satisfaction, to be repalced by corporate chains with nothing like the level of service so I decided to move with to the franchise they choose which just happened to be Renault-Dacia.

Dacia is what Skoda were 15-20 years ago, really good value and practical cars, and Renault have a close repalcement for the Fabia 2 VRS where Skoda does not, as the Merkat says "simples", or "You do the Maths" I suppose.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Not sure if you can vent fill it or not, haven't tried tbh. A lot of owners do complain about the small fuel tank tho. Not so much because of the fuel cost but the hassle of having to fill it up frequently. Never bothered me too much however.

I guess its just if you do long trips though isnt it, it gets annoyin

Bike does about 170-180 miles to a tank. Feels like im always filling the bloody thing.

• Like 1

I gather there are a couple of test out there now.

Prices is not too bad a £21.7K, probably some discount in a few months or buy a 200 and tweak.  With the Civic Type R at well over 30K with any extras the idea of a Clio Rs and personalise with the huge part bins of compettion parts must look atractive to many petrol heads.

Still do not know what the practical range is, hopefully around 400 miles of non-urban driving.

• 5 months later...

Coolish time of the year to go for this but hey ho...

Renault Clio RS 220 Trophy is now the fastest small hatch on Nurburgring

http://www.worldcarfans.com/1151213101985/renault-clio-rs-220-trophy-is-now-the-fastest-small-hatch-on-nurburgring

The Renault Clio RS 220 Trophy has managed to set a new record for a B-segment vehicle around the famous Nurburgring.    Honda Civic Type R is currently holding the fastest lap record for a FWD car on the German track but the Clio RS 220 Trophy is now the fastest small hot hatch (B segment) on the circuit, according to the French company. The pocket-rocket has managed to lap the ‘Ring in 8:32 minutes – some 36 seconds faster than the standard Clio RS 200 EDC.  The test run was performed by Sport Auto’s editor Christian Gebhardt, who also lapped the Nurburgring with several other B-segment hot hatches. The MINI JCW registered 8:35 minutes, while the third place went to the new Opel Corsa OPC with 8:40. Audi S1 came last with a time of 8:41 minutes.

Edited by lol-lol