Contact import incomplete

Hi guys

I have hundreds of contacts on my iPhone, it's my job of course I need them, however Amundsen doesn't import them all which is a bit inconvenient. I have a large sd card in slot2 with plenty of room is there any way anybody knows how I can overcome this deficiency other than carry a phone book ......

Do you know how many contacts you have, and how many get imported? Checked the Amundsen manual there (I've a Bolero) and says it has 2000 spaces for contact with up to 5 numbers each. Are all of the contacts on the phone, or are some on your sim card?

Check that you have "always" shared your address book in your phone bluetooth settings.

Each time you connect it should "resync" any changes to your contacts into the headunit.

I have 200+ contacts & it sync's fine with my Android phone (but Columbus Nav).

My wife has an iPhone with perhaps not so many contact but hasn't complained of any problems.

Alternatively, delete your bluetooth pairing between your phone & car.

Then create a new pairing where it should import the contacts again.

The Columbus manual seems to be equally vague:

Phone book

Press the button .

The device telephone book contains up to 2000 free memory locations for im- ported telephone contacts. Each contact can contain up to 5 telephone numbers.

The telephone book can also be accessed during an ongoing call. After successful pairing, the contacts are imported 3) .

Loading the directory

Upon first connection of the telephone with the device, the system begins to download the telephone book from the telephone and from the SIM card4) into the device memory3). Depending on the number of contacts this may take several minutes to complete. 

If the imported telephone book from the telephone contains more than 2000 contacts, loading is stopped and the message Contacts not completely imported. appears on the screen. Only the contacts already loaded are availa- ble, these are in the menu .

The first 200 contacts along with the telephone contact data, including the picture associated with the contact, are downloaded onto the device memory 1) .

If an error occurs while loading the phone book, the message Import failed. Please try again and check whether the BT device ... allows connections.

Update phonebook

Each time the telephone has established a new connection with the device, the relevant telephone book will be updated.

During the update, the phone book which was stored after the last completed update will be available. Newly stored telephone numbers are only shown after the updating has ended.

The update can be performed manually » page 39 Import contacts

Find contact
Press the button Find to open the input screen with keypad to search in the phonebook » page 8.

Select contact

Pressing the function key with one of the displayed contacts starts the selection.

Where a contact contains several telephone numbers, the system displays a menu containing the telephone numbers for the contact.

Contact details

By pressing the function key with the symbol the contact details are displayed.

Pressing the function key with one of the indicated telephone numbers starts the selection.

By pressing the function key with the symbol and the contact will start the route guidance. 

Edited by kallekilponen

I have a Bolero and it stops syncing contacts at around 800 (I think).  I only noticed this the other day....

EDIT:  Scratch that - a quick google shows that 2000 can be stored, but only the first 200 are imported - whatever that means: link to manual - see page 42

Have you tried manually importing the contacts, it reads to me as though it imports 0 to 200 then if you do a manual import it imports 201 to 400, then 401 to 600 etc up to 2000.

how do you "manually" import them? (amundsen)

From P37 of the manual.
Press the button
PHONE
Menu with the telephone menu settings
Select telephone
- Search for available telephones/list of paired telephones/se-
lect telephone
Find telephone
- Search for a mobile phone
Bluetooth
- Bluetooth
®
settings
» page 22
User profile
- User profile settings
Manage favourites
- Assign function keys to allow speed dialling of contacts;
you can also add and delete contacts here
Enter voicemail number here
- Enter the phone number of the voicemail
Prefix:
- Switch on/off the option to assign a prefix to a telephone number.
Once this function is activated, the button for adding a prefix will be displayed
with the symbol
in some menus.
Enter here
- Enter the prefix of a phone number
Sort by:
- Sort the order of the phonebook
Surname
- Sort by contact name
Forename
- Sort by contact's first name
Import contacts.
- Starts update of the phone book; the number of imported
contacts and number of contacts stored in the phone is displayed

Have you tried manually importing the contacts, it reads to me as though it imports 0 to 200 then if you do a manual import it imports 201 to 400, then 401 to 600 etc up to 2000.

Forgot to write about this, but I tried it on the Columbus yesterday and it had no trouble with my ~400 contacts. They all went in on one go.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Was this issue ever resolved?

I have 2002 contacts and unfortunately getting the same error message...

-----

Ignore the above, I have 909 contacts. It was syncing with an email account that I do not need the contacts off.

I assume it should now update it without any issues?

Is there anyway of wiping all the contacts off the Amundsen?

Edited by chris1012

The only way I've ever found of wiping contacts off the Amundsen was: 

• Unpair the phone with contact data to be deleted from Amundsen.
  • Pair a second phone.
  • Go to phone settings, user profile and delete the user profile for the first phone.  Just unpairing/repairing the phone does not work for me as this user profile (and its contacts) is retained, and it seems a user profile can only be deleted if a different one is active.
  • Disconnect (and unpair/delete if desired) second phone.
  • Re-pair first phone and allow it to re-import the contacts.  

If anyone knows a quicker/easier way I'd be very happy to hear it!
Edited by iriches

• 2 months later...

"Only" 2000 contacts, is that really a problem?

Yes, this is a show stopper!  

I have nearly 3000 contacts from years in my industry, and believe it or not I use most of them over the year, and certainly can receive calls from any of them at any time.

Further, though it seems that 2000 have loaded (I watched the counter during the sync process climb toward and upto 2000/2000), weirdly most of those I'd like to access the most (colleagues, family and friends) are the ones that are missing.

This means not only can I not call those key people, I cannot use contacts to navigate to them either (obvs I know where my family live, but I use sat nav for ETA calculations, and traffic avoidance as much as for getting to places I don't know).

I received the car today, a lovely brand new Octo VRS.  Otherwise what a fabulous car.  But to limit the contacts at all, or allow 2000 per phone, with upto 5 numbers per contact and upto 5 phones.

Why not pool those contacts and the 5 numbers = 5phones x 2000 contacts x 5 numbers =50,000 numbers & 10,000 names and addresses.

SURELY it's not beyond the wit of the designers of the infotainment kit to do better than this.  After all memory storage is so cheap now.

I will have to use my Plantronics bluetooth handsfree like before, while driving around looking at this otherwise fabulous infotainment system - the Amundsen - knowing I can almost use it, but still have to stick the phone into a windscreen mounted cradle - so shoddy.

I've tried resyncing but it seems the same contacts synced and the same key ones are missing.

Has anyone got any news about likelihood of an update that might solve this issue in the near future please?

AdoksNik, that's some serious phone calls. Almost 10 different contacts, every day for a whole year without ringing any of them twice in that year. What industry are you in?? Ha ha!!!

I think the issue is that it depends where your mobile contacts are 'saved'. For example on my Samsung they can be on the device storage, SIM card, Google contact or Hotmail contact. There is a symbol next to the contact to show this.

Does the Skoda system only sync device contacts? Not Google, Hotmail or iCloud?

• Like 1

I think the issue is that it depends where your mobile contacts are 'saved'. For example on my Samsung they can be on the device storage, SIM card, Google contact or Hotmail contact. There is a symbol next to the contact to show this.

Does the Skoda system only sync device contacts? Not Google, Hotmail or iCloud?

The "issue" is that the Amundsen will "only" import 2000 contacts, nothing to do with where they are stored on your phone.

• Like 2

Seriously, 2,000 contacts isn't restrictive in 99% of cases, but for those of you who are having trouble, it's hardly a deal breaker is it? Talk about "First World Problems"

• Like 1

Further, though it seems that 2000 have loaded (I watched the counter during the sync process climb toward and upto 2000/2000), weirdly most of those I'd like to access the most (colleagues, family and friends) are the ones that are missing.

Are they likely to be the oldest contacts? When I sync my phone the car only gets the contacts I've added since I got this phone. The ones which were imported (though Google, I think) are not included. Obviously these are the ones I use most. :-(

MIB2 and Android 4.3 at the moment, although I'm about to attempt to "upgrade" to Android 5.1.

AdoksNik, that's some serious phone calls. Almost 10 different contacts, every day for a whole year without ringing any of them twice in that year. What industry are you in?? Ha ha!!!

OK, you rumbled me Skodev, that was very clever of you, and particularly constructive.  Thankyou for the invaluable input.  For the pedants amongst us "I have nearly 3000 currently valid contacts, except probably around 16% which may have moved jobs in the last year according to the CIPD national average employee churn rate; anyone of which I might receive a call from or make a call to...".

Since you asked, business development in the construction industry - might present to 10-15 architects or building services consultants from one practice, take all their email addresses, and then receive calls from any one of them following the CPD I had delivered. Some practices have 50+ people, which over the 17 years I've been in this industry builds up to rather a lot.

Typical day is around 15-20 calls with colleagues, customers etc.

And you write 99% would find 2000 not restrictive?  Well, as we share our contacts at work (heard of CRM?) all my commercial colleagues will have at least that, many who have spent a whole life in sales will have more.  We are only a small firm (100 folks), most larger firms would have more still.  Just add up the friends & family at the last wedding you'd been too, 150 folks?

Good luck with the maths :-)