Anyone considering another Octavia in time?

To my knowledge there's currently just the one test location in California. I'm curious to hear how it works once they open it up to the public.

You mean the where they are testing autonomous batteryswap?

If that works good, electric cars suddenly becomes more interesting.

Its getting seriously expensive, especially if you load it up with equipment. For highly specked Octavia I could get couple of years old 535d for example.. mm tempting.. But new car is still a new car.

"Interesting. I find my 1.4 TSi hatch much more smooth, quieter and generally more "refined" than my previous Mk. 2 1.8TSi (which I really, really liked!!!)"

I would assume that the petrol engine would be a bit lighter and quieter running than the diesel engine and that extra weight up front will in turn will have an impact on the handling of the car, a six speed gear box makes a big difference in enabling you to get the best out of your engine under any driving conditions. Yet for some very odd reason it is the 1.6TD that seems to be the only Octavia denied a six speed gear box, except if you opt for a Greenline version, in which case you also get a slightly more powerful engine too. Very odd marketing that one, or maybe Skoda think that nobody would see much point in buying a Greenline if the standard car was capable of roughly the same fuel consumption figures, thus they deliberately cripple the standard 1.6TD in the standard range by giving it the five speed gear box with huge gaps in between some of its gears, which makes it hard at times to find the right gear and probably uses more fuel than the same car would with the six speed box used in the Greenline model.

The five speed box is smooth enough but its gear ratios make driving it through town traffic a bit more of a chore than it should be.

Its getting seriously expensive, especially if you load it up with equipment. For highly specked Octavia I could get couple of years old 535d for example.. mm tempting.. But new car is still a new car.

It is though the 2 year old beemer will hold its value better if you're planning to change again in the next few years.

"Interesting. I find my 1.4 TSi hatch much more smooth, quieter and generally more "refined" than my previous Mk. 2 1.8TSi (which I really, really liked!!!)"

I would assume that the petrol engine would be a bit lighter and quieter running than the diesel engine and that extra weight up front will in turn will have an impact on the handling of the car, a six speed gear box makes a big difference in enabling you to get the best out of your engine under any driving conditions. Yet for some very odd reason it is the 1.6TD that seems to be the only Octavia denied a six speed gear box, except if you opt for a Greenline version, in which case you also get a slightly more powerful engine too. Very odd marketing that one, or maybe Skoda think that nobody would see much point in buying a Greenline if the standard car was capable of roughly the same fuel consumption figures, thus they deliberately cripple the standard 1.6TD in the standard range by giving it the five speed gear box with huge gaps in between some of its gears, which makes it hard at times to find the right gear and probably uses more fuel than the same car would with the six speed box used in the Greenline model.

The five speed box is smooth enough but its gear ratios make driving it through town traffic a bit more of a chore than it should be.

Perhaps they assume (wrongly in this case!) that the different torque produced by diesels, lower down the rev range for example, would allow the gear ratios to be wide apart.

There is no doubt in my mind that the slightly lower power of the 1.4, compared with my previous 1.8, means I am probably using a lower gear particularly when overtaking on a fast road.

But within a day or two of getting the car I stopped noticing this, partly because I dropped into the lower gear almost without thinking and partly as I leave the engine in sport mode, which, even if it really isn't more powerful, it somehow mimics the surge of power I got from the 1.8. Mind you, I still wish they hadn't dropped the 1.8 TSi, or, if they had to, that they had replaced it with a well tuned 1.6 TSi say, giving maybe another 15 bhp over the 1.4, or possibly even get up to the level of the old 1.8 !!

Perhaps they assume (wrongly in this case!) that the different torque produced by diesels, lower down the rev range for example, would allow the gear ratios to be wide apart.

There is no doubt in my mind that the slightly lower power of the 1.4, compared with my previous 1.8, means I am probably using a lower gear particularly when overtaking on a fast road.

But within a day or two of getting the car I stopped noticing this, partly because I dropped into the lower gear almost without thinking and partly as I leave the engine in sport mode, which, even if it really isn't more powerful, it somehow mimics the surge of power I got from the 1.8. Mind you, I still wish they hadn't dropped the 1.8 TSi, or, if they had to, that they had replaced it with a well tuned 1.6 TSi say, giving maybe another 15 bhp over the 1.4, or possibly even get up to the level of the old 1.8 !!

Ed, get a FSR tuningbox it'll give you back the 40 horses you're missing.

I use my Octavia almost exclusively for my 80 mile daily commute and it has served me really well over 35,000 miles. Although I have no plans to change the car currently I think I would look at the competition more thanI did when I bought this car although I could well choose an Octavia still with the Elegance spec again. No point me choosing a vRS for what I use the car for. I agree with others here in as much as the somewhat crude torsion beam suspension really does let the car down, the ride is very firm but still rolls and wallows. Rough road features are transmitted through even more than in my sports car with 20" wheels and 35 profile tyres, although that is much in praise of the sports car as it is criticism of the Octavia as I don't mind the firm ride. The Octavia has also been 100% reliable, very good on fuel, relaxing and comfortable. Better the devil you know.....

Edited by Timoctav

No point me choosing a vRS for what I use the car for. I agree with others here in as much as the somewhat crude torsion beam suspension really does let the car down, the ride is very firm but still rolls and wallows. Rough road features are transmitted through even more than in my sports car with 20" wheels and 35 profile tyres, although that is much in praise of the sports car as it is criticism of the Octavia as I don't mind the firm ride.

The multi-link really makes a difference. The 4x4 model feels like the perfect balance between the vRS and the Scout. It's extremely comfortable even over rough roads but still has some firmness to it in curves, so no wallowing about. A distinct improvement over our old Volvo. I highly recommend it.

• Like 1

What I think is interesting is that, other than the Seat Cupra the forum choices are looking towards BMW and Audi or similar level of car. Skoda has come a long way, if you compare a fully laden VRS to an equivalent A4 or 3 series BMW It's a good £10K cheaper. OK, I agree that The VRS isn't as cheap as it once was and Kia et al are cheaper, but has the mark really lost its value for money?

• Like 1

What I think is interesting is that, other than the Seat Cupra the forum choices are looking towards BMW and Audi or similar level of car. Skoda has come a long way, if you compare a fully laden VRS to an equivalent A4 or 3 series BMW It's a good £10K cheaper. OK, I agree that The VRS isn't as cheap as it once was and Kia et al are cheaper, but has the mark really lost its value for money?

This is a very good point. When you look at the equivalent GTI, GTD, BMW 3 series or A4 there's still a lot of value to be had in the VRS. 

The Seat is even better value again with the added options of ACC and 280bhp but then you'd have to compromise on the looks both outside and inside the car. That is, at least, imo. :)

If Skoda were to offer ACC in a facelifted VRS it would be enough for me to upgrade to another VRS when the time came. I'm not all about a specific diff or even more power (but if it's thrown in hey why not! ;) ) I just want more creature comforts.

Edited by foregonereality

Some really interesting views on here that Skoda need to listen to. Lots of us love our Mk3 but I think the main message is we want them to stay significantly cheaper than more prestige brands.

My experience seems to be different to the rest of you, I've upgraded from a dying Nissan to a low spec Mk 3 Octy and feels like I've signed for a premier league club. It's my first serious car and I love it.

In terms of the top spec vrs/elegance models, they are creeping up in terms of price. I would say A definite yes to the OPs question however, when it's time to hand back the 1.2 on my drive I'll probably still be looking at the lower end models (simply because my poverty spec doesn't feel anything like poverty spec) For me, it's this area where Skoda as a brand really make sense.

Yes it has come a long way. I look at the rivals (Mondeo etc) and all they have going for them is a slightly better refinement. Interior still isn't as nice in Mondeo. So if you are going to leave Skoda, then the only way is up to your Jaaaaags!

Yes it has come a long way. I look at the rivals (Mondeo etc) and all they have going for them is a slightly better refinement. Interior still isn't as nice in Mondeo. So if you are going to leave Skoda, then the only way is up to your Jaaaaags!

post-83035-0-56683700-1426321875_thumb.jpg

Jaguar as a brand have improved a great deal....gradually they are steering away from their grandad/beige leather and wood trim image and making some genuinely nice interesting cars; somewhat surprising given their Tata ownership.

I however still dont hold them up as a pinnacle of executive motoring and if I were going to spend really good money on a car Id still go German and would have a 5 series or E Class, perhaps even an A6 over an XF any day of the week.

A guy I do business with has an F Type V8S convertible which is absolutely stunning but he did tell me its depreciated severely (over 30k in year one) also its not been entirely reliable with a number of build related gremlins.

That isnt the first time ive heard that either....a friend had a very nice XF 2.2D 200 Portfolio from new after about 12 months was desperately trying to get shot of it as it did nothing but go wrong...and Jaguar couldnt fix a number of the issues either.

The XE looks really nice but to get a model worthy of the badge (for me a 2.0D 180 R Sport auto would be it) by the time you slung some nice wheels and a couple of choice options on its a £36k car.....for that money Id probably still rather have a nice spec 320d M Sport.

All a matter of opinion of course.

Short answer for me is no. 

Reasons why - build quality not a patch on the Mk II.  I have more rattles/vibrations in the cabin than any car I've ever had.  I also feel the ride quality is poor, the suspension just feels to hard.

Have got about 15 months left on PCP but am looking to off load with an Audi asap.

I've been really disappointed with my car compared to 7 years of hassle and rattle free motoring with my MK II.

Edited by Ninjoid
  • Like 2

I think it will be my last for a while at least.  Have had three on the trot anyway and as good as the Mk3 is I dont feel compelled to buy a vRS...not for how much it will likely end up costing and from experience with the current  car will depreciate  v badly.

If I buy something it'll likely be a Golf GTD, A3 S Line TDI 184 of some sort or a facelift 120d/220d M Sport....dont really need such a big car anyway so be quite a nice compromise between capability and efficiency particularlu where the GTD and 1/2 series are concerned.

• Like 1

Well I'm a possible no unfortunately.

I initially like the Octy 3, but after living with it for 12 months the poor suspension/ride and build quality have made me reluctantly change my mind. I now regret moving my low mileage Octy 2 on, as it was miles better build quality. The pricing is also getting a lot less competitive.

However I need an estate, and an auto petrol one at that. I investigated the market before buying the Octy 3, and at that time other brands had a poor selection of engines/transmission unless you were committed to diesel. Also a lot of the possible rivals, whilst having nearly equal rear load capacity, also had ridiculously small and/or badly designed load entry areas. Victims of the "sports tourer" design fad I thought, and not very practical for a workhorse.

I had planned to keep the Octy 3 for 5 years, but now I'm not so sure.

Mine's like new after 29k miles, build quality is absolutely rock solid. So as mentioned before, it's a definite yes from me!!!

Had many a considered better brand of car and yet the Octavia is as good if not better than those in so many areas and more, especially in build quality and reliability.

For me it is likely to be another Octavia.

I used Parkers to calculate the % PX depreciation from new to now for a 63 reg 1.4 TSI, 1.6 TDI and 2.0TDI DSG cars

Golf 1.4 TSI 33%

Octavia  1.4 TSI 43%

Leon SE 1.4 TSI 48%

Golf 1.6 TDI 36%

Octavia 1.6 TDI 46%

Leon SE 1.6 TDI 48%

Golf 2.0 TDI 37%

Octavia 2.0 TDI 42%

Leon SE 2.0 TDI 47%

Yes the Golf is the best but has a 7.4 % PCP to add on top compared to the 0% Octavia.

I will consider another. I like my vrs quite a lot, picked up a pre reg 3 months old for 20k. Got a really good deal on my part ex too. I wanted a new 320d m sport but that would cost me another £100.00 on my pcp payment, so for me the cost was the main factor in buying mine. Do feel as many of you guys do though that Skoda are getting too expensive, and not really doing any good deals. Will consider other brands more than I did this time when it comes time to swap time in a couple of years.

Jaguar as a brand have improved a great deal....gradually they are steering away from their grandad/beige leather and wood trim image and making some genuinely nice interesting cars; somewhat surprising given their Tata ownership.

I however still dont hold them up as a pinnacle of executive motoring and if I were going to spend really good money on a car Id still go German and would have a 5 series or E Class, perhaps even an A6 over an XF any day of the week.

A guy I do business with has an F Type V8S convertible which is absolutely stunning but he did tell me its depreciated severely (over 30k in year one) also its not been entirely reliable with a number of build related gremlins.

That isnt the first time ive heard that either....a friend had a very nice XF 2.2D 200 Portfolio from new after about 12 months was desperately trying to get shot of it as it did nothing but go wrong...and Jaguar couldnt fix a number of the issues either.

The XE looks really nice but to get a model worthy of the badge (for me a 2.0D 180 R Sport auto would be it) by the time you slung some nice wheels and a couple of choice options on its a £36k car.....for that money Id probably still rather have a nice spec 320d M Sport.

All a matter of opinion of course.

I once took test drives in an XF and a 5 series. The 5 series is a really nice car, but the XF had more going for it. Not only was it a really nice car, but it also felt a special place to be. I was driving down the motorway with a massive grin on my face. No other car in that category can do that. Id be looking at Range Rover, Rolls Royce or Bentley to manage that I expect. I think that's the best way of describing the XF really, when comparing it to the 5 series. It feels special. The 5 series was just a nice car.

Perhaps its that rotary drive selector rising out the dash. Ooooooh! Until the 5 series offers me that, its a no go.

As for the XE and 3 series. Looking at the pics ive seen so far, the standard 3 series isn't a patch on the XE. The standard 3 series has a horrible interior. Certainly not executive.

Reliability wise, Jaguar are performing very well. However like every manufacturer, a lemon can always appear.

Depreciation. What is that 30k as a percentage?

Edited by JungleJames

Mine's like new after 29k miles, build quality is absolutely rock solid. So as mentioned before, it's a definite yes from me!!!

Had many a considered better brand of car and yet the Octavia is as good if not better than those in so many areas and more, especially in build quality and reliability.

Same here, very good build quality. Its just the crappy suspension that lets it down. No rattles or creaks at all.