Do citigo owners get a brake grind

hill4332

Can anyone tell me if it is common for citigos to have a gru=inding noise on braking.

Skoda are telling me that this is a common feature on this car and is part of the vehicle characteristics so i could not reject the car.

If this is true why did one dealer change both disce and pads and another the pads

the car has now done 5000 miles .the last dealer who changed just the pads did not give me any paperwork to prove he had done the change -is this normal when done under warranty.

they also say the lack of soundproofing is why im hearing the grinding noise

one fed up owner

ps skoda say i can pay another grand plus higher reypayments to get into another car but why should i as this will double my paymenyts under pcp to 140pcm

i am sure my noise is from the front and prsumably is why they have changed the pads twice .the noise i am getting is everytime i brake -i hear it most between 0-15 mph as i brake -its a metal on metal sound .when the master tech took the second set of pads out he came to us and said their was more metal in the pads he took out than a new set so he said he had replaced them -i drove 5 miles and it reoccurred.I was not given any paperwork to say they had replaced the pads-why?

Skoda uk contacted me and said they had contacted the master tech who told them he couldnt find anything wrong and it was merely a characterisic of a skoda citigo -the only way i can describe the noise is similar to what you used to hear when the pads were down to the rivets years ago.When i said to skoda uk i had not received any paperwork from Blade on the two occasions she just said shed ring them and come back to me.How can i definitavly discover if this is common to all skodas.

the noise is the same winter and summer

the other thing is if it was a common thing then why did it disapear for 2000 miles when the new pads(for which i did get paperwork) were fitted by trust skoda.My feeling is Blade skoda did not fit new pads hence why they did not give me paperwork -they probably just sanded them down .It doesnt explain why the pads grind after a while though

You are probably just hearing normal pad contact noise. I fitted Apec discs and Breck pads a while ago and they sound much the same. The Breck pads offer more stopping power than standard pads under duress.

Nothing unusual heard from mine either, although I do like the stereo at a reasonable level.

Pardon?
  • Like 4

You are probably just hearing normal pad contact noise. I fitted Apec discs and Breck pads a while ago and they sound much the same. The Breck pads offer more stopping power than standard pads under duress.

I think it's possibly, once again, down to a lack of sound proofing. I too can hear the brake pad contact noise, wouldn't describe it as grinding as such.

Acording to Skoda UK  its completley normal for a Citigo.If so why did I mot hear it on the test car i drove before buying my car.Alos why did i not get it for the first 2000 miles ,then when the discs and pads were replaced it stopped for another 2000 miles and yet when Blade replaced the pads agaim it started straight away(have no paperwork to prove they did so )/Doesnt make any sense for them to say this is the characteristic of the car/I also have contacted 5 service departments at various locations throughout the country and not one has either had a problem with citigo brake grind or even heard of a problem.Skoda say they are going to check with their parts side to see if there are different pads/discs supplied to their dealers or whether its just the one type to all

I feel the runaround coming on-anythoughts i how proceed

Sometimes the odd grind/brake contact noise on overly cold/damp/foggy type mornings. But not all the time that's for sure.

No effect on braking performance though.

I will say that the pads are very soft/weak as wear rate seems to be high for such a light car.

no mines continual    

skoda guy said he would ring in 1=2 days when hed talked to his parts dept-nothing  and blade said the proof they had changed the pads would be sent -nothing yet -suspicious?

I have now recived from Blade a list of what they did when they had the car in for two days

However when i took the car in a month earlier they claimed to have replaced the pads-this invoice hasnt been sent-wonde why ?

the invoice i received mentions high metal content in the pads -but then that they just put them back

It's the way brake pads are made, as I told you at the other topic you created. http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/343955-citigo-brakes-and-service-departments/?p=4135737

Grinding in our -13 Citigo is like metal to metal, but a lot quieter than the grinding when pads are worn out. So nothing to worry about.

Why new pads doesn't grind? Probably metal flakes are inside the pads, not on surface of the unused pads. This way brake discs have some time to settle for pads, kind of break-in period.

Edited by Emil

Totally normal, you hear it due to the lack of soundproofing, it's a small cheap car. We have 5 citigo's, my wife, daughter & I plus 2 close relatives. They all sound the same.

I'll be fair and and say this, my father is continually moaning about the amount of noise his makes, he never has the radio or anything else on, his car is fine he's just been used to high end luxury (read silent) cars.

I'm afraid if you want a silent car you'll need to pay far more than the price of a citigo.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Now I ponder if they have changed brake pad material. Our -15 Citigo has quiet brakes. It doesn't grind as much as our -13 Citigo. -15 Citigo is driven only 1500km though. I have also noticed that -13 Citigo has more efficient (better) brakes. Then again, maybe new brakes need some more use for bedding-in.

Our -13 Citigo is driven 23 000 km, and brakes are quite noisey, but very efective. I'm going to try EBC brake pads next summer. Or any pads without metal flakes.