retro fitting sat nav?

Hi Guys,

I'm looking at buying a VRS but the lack of sat nav is really bugging me, Been sitting looking at available cars and I know my dealer has a couple of new cars in stock which I like but without the sat nav....

So the question is does anyone know if its possible to retrofit? By this I mean a straightforward swap & plug in type situation as i'm not interested in altering wiring and affecting the warranty etc.

Thanks Davy.

yes very straight forward. its more or less plug and play and you would need to route the gps cable in the dash as close as you can get it to the windscreen. You may need a new fascia depending on the current set up. Look at a Skoda Columbus RNS 510 - roughly around £400 and just needs coding into VCDS to show on the maxi dot and work with MFSW.

(not advertising as such as you're still currently buying the car but I am selling a columbus lol)

Fantastic, I was expecting the opposite answer!

I've had a look at your ad, I'd be very interested if I buy a car without it but obviously I'd rather buy a car first!

Really appreciate the reply mate, I might be in touch soon.

I'm fairly sure that trying to retrofit a SatNav into a mk3 Octy will be cost prohibitive. The infotainment system is not like on previous models and entails replacement units within the glovebox, wiring, GPS antenna, along with the front unit on the dash.

yes very straight forward. its more or less plug and play and you would need to route the gps cable in the dash as close as you can get it to the windscreen. You may need a new fascia depending on the current set up. Look at a Skoda Columbus RNS 510 - roughly around £400 and just needs coding into VCDS to show on the maxi dot and work with MFSW.

(not advertising as such as you're still currently buying the car but I am selling a columbus lol)

I'm afraid the RNS 510 was for the mk2 Octy, an easy upgrade that I had when I had my vRS.

The OP is enquiring about the mk3 Octy and this is the same system as my mk7 Golf. It is component protected and very difficult to get around at the moment.

I have heard of a couple of workarounds, but both have sounded a bit dodgy and cost prohibitive :(

This is incorrect for the Mk3. The infotainment system is completely different to the Mk2's (also they share the same model names); also they have Audi style component protection which i gather is not easy (or perhaps impossible at this time) to defeat without main dealer intervention.

I dont think anyone has successfully retrofitted one as yet because of all the complications.

Either contact Kenwood as they offer VAG compatible replacement head units - might have one for the MK3 or simply buy a good TomTom with EU maps and free map updates for life, or use your phone

For what it is worth a good friend of mine has just fitted his windscreen mounted sat nav back in his new Octavia as he cannot get on with the factory fitted one.

Regards Chris

For what it is worth a god friend of mine has just fitted his windscreen mounted sat nav back in his new Octavia.........

Regards Chris

Wow, god drives an Octavia... We are in good company [emoji1]

• Like 1

Wow, god drives an Octavia... We are in good company [emoji1]

Edited now. That is twice today I have made a spelling mistake and had it pointed out.  Still as they used to say to me in school "Christopher must try harder"  and to this day I have been very trying!

Regards Chris

It is possible to do the retrofit of the genuine Columbus for Octavia 3 in Ukraine or in Poland.

Cost of removing Component Protection is about 250 EUR + shipping cost of the satnav hardware from You and then to You.

I can't remember the company name right now, but I can find it out, if necessary.

Note, that this opens the possibility of buying stolen equipment unfortunately ...

Thanks for all the replies, I did think it was probably a long shot.

Back to the decision making then, buy one with nav at extra £££ or put up with a stick it on the window ugly thing with poxy cable getting in the way all journey  :swear:

Can you tell what i'd prefer??

You could always buy one of the advertised cars without the sat nav, get a cable routed up through the dash and then mount the satnav on the dash with just a little bit of cable sticking out, or out of the fusebox, up the A pillar to exit by the rear view mirror and mount up there like a dash cam.

Ian

I've got the Columbus and although it works well for routing, the traffic information (via TMC) is rubbish. It has limited coverage and rarely has the latest information.

I've added a 7" Samsung Galaxy Tab on a Brodit mount with a removable clip and the free Waze sat nav software. I use wi-fi tethering on my phone for internet access. Other than the charging cable, it's quite a neat fit and is a good size screen for the map. Once you get used to the map layout, Waze works well and the traffic is pretty accurate as long as it can maintain a data signal. Around £150 all in and a lot more flexible than any built-in unit.

• Like 1

I had the Amundsen+ in my mk2 and although it was nice to have the SatNav built in, the mapping was poor, directions/instructions laughable and the maps were extremely out of date.

My mk3 doesn't have Nav, I've bought a TomTom for £100 which gets thrown in a cubby hole when not being used. It's a lot better than the built in system was. If I had more memory on my phone I'd probably have bought the mobile phone version of the TomTom as the phone is on a dash mount.

• Like 1

It is possible to do the retrofit of the genuine Columbus for Octavia 3 in Ukraine or in Poland.

Cost of removing Component Protection is about 250 EUR + shipping cost of the satnav hardware from You and then to You.

I can't remember the company name right now, but I can find it out, if necessary.

Note, that this opens the possibility of buying stolen equipment unfortunately ...

There is also a licensing implication on the nVidia MIB platform - the next time your car goes in to a dealer they would be within their rights to lock you out of the satnav as you haven't paid for the software licence on that unit

• Like 1

Yes, dealer showed me how when we collected.... But I'll have to read the book to do it now

Pressing the traffic button lists any traffic congestion, if not using the nav it just lists all traffic I think

I was going to spec the Amundsen sat nav on my Octy when I ordered it at around a €700 price tag until the salesman told me it was rubbish and not to waste my money!! I put the money towards the leather/alcantara seats instead.

We got elegance spec, so got the leather and alcantara and Amundsun within the spec....

The nav won't get a lot of use, but seems ok to me... I'm sure there may be better systems out there but not that are integrated, so as I hate cables it had to be :-)