Getting wet when opening window

thekrankis

Has anyone tried out the wind deflectors purchasable from Micks Garage? If so, are they effective? Any comments will be of assistance, as I'm getting fed up of having unsolicited cold showers. I tried Heko's web site, but it was a total ball-breaker to try to navigate, so in desperation, I turned to Micks Garage.

Every Skoda I've owned does this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My 2010 Yeti doesn't and my 2015 Citigo doesn't

probably I'm lucky or you not at all! :cocktail:

Has anyone tried out the wind deflectors purchasable from Micks Garage? If so, are they effective? Any comments will be of assistance, as I'm getting fed up of having unsolicited cold showers. I tried Heko's web site, but it was a total ball-breaker to try to navigate, so in desperation, I turned to Micks Garage.

I had a set of these on a 5dr and they are not as tight a fit as the Heko ones. The clips came loose and I had to pick one up from the road as it flew off at 50 mph.

I had a set of these on a 5dr and they are not as tight a fit as the Heko ones. The clips came loose and I had to pick one up from the road as it flew off at 50 mph.

I've heard good stuff about the climair ones and they're the ones you'd get from vw for the up

• Like 1

Never tried "Micks garage" ones so not sure on quality or fit but the Heko ones are great.

Easiest is eBay for your Heko ones, I have had a few sets for various cars and they are great, also allows you to have some air without the water ingress.

3door link here:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wind-Deflectors-VW-Up-5-doors-2012-onwards-2-pc-HEKO-Tinted/361306033589?_trksid=p2141725.c100338.m3726&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20141212152715%26meid%3D59ad0123338142eead9dee9a348ee8ea%26pid%3D100338%26rk%3D7%26rkt%3D25%26sd%3D171834955277

All modern cars IMO get you soaked when you open the window due to the gutterless roof designs these days.

My trusty Land rover has a proper gutter so none of the modern soaking there, it just let's water in everywhere else :)

Edited by Defenderben
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Yeah well, I SUCCUMBED. I today took delivery of a pair of Heko WD's for my 5 door. Much to my surprise (as I'm totally useless at any forms of DIY)I managed to fit them within a couple of minutes. The bottom fronts were a tad "fiddly", as they don't seem to slide into the gap of the rubber seals all that easily, but with a little jer-jer-jiggling (+ MEGA shrill advice from SWMBO) they eventually slid into what I think is the correct position. Now to wait until it rains (sometime in the next few nano-seconds) & then to see if they really do work.

ALSO succumbed (not that SWMBO yet knows)to a pair of Philips Xtreme Vision bulbs. Haven't fitted them yet, as my DIY limit has reached saturation point, but ere too long.................... THEN we'll see if they're all that they're cracked up to be.

Happy motoring - & I swore that I wasn't going to spend mega Bucks on this new Tonka Toy. I WAS LYING!

just found out what you all mean by getting soaked! Looks like I'll be ordering some wind deflectors! (VRS Mike)

Tried mine out on a decent cross country/motorway run today, and (as you might expect) we had torrential rain for part of the trip.

The Heko WD's certainly did the trick, no rain in whatsoever. A little "wind flutter" from the o/s when booling along the motorway, but that may have been down to nothing more than the deflectors taking their time to adapt to their new shape????

Anyway, well worth the dosh that I spent, & although I can't remember where I purchased them (via Amazon, I think) they came from either Germany or Poland, and arrived extremely quickly. Well packaged & even had(fairly rudimentary) fitting instructions.

All in all, a good buy, and THEY DO suit the car well.

Also fitted (with a fair bit of bad language) the Philips Xtreme Headlight bulbs. The factory-fitted connectors are a bit of a bar-steward to remove, and the rubber seals are anything but easy to replace - they peel off fine, but are fiddly to replace. But, job done, and not intending to lash out any more shekels on the Tonka Toy. (Now where have I heard those words before????????????)

Does anyone else have a problem getting wet ( often very wet) when you open a window after the car has been stood in the rain?

When I open my drivers window a veritable flood of water streams in - oddly the passenger side seems OK

I have never owned a car before that does this - it looks like a design flaw rather than lack of drainage.

I see VW UP! owners are complaining about it on the UP! forums.

The fabia rather annoyingly does this too. Get drenched until you learn the lesson haha

• 2 weeks later...

About 2 weeks on, & the Heko wind deflectors do just what it says on the tin.....

The wind "fluttering" has now stopped, so it looks as though my side has finally accepted its' new shape. They certainly do stop unsolicited cold showers, and even more of a bonus, they actually enhance the appearance of the car - not at all obtrusive.

The Philips Xtreme Vision H/L bulbs are now fitted, and whilst the stated improvement wasn't what what I expected (or hoped) to see, they must have made some difference. All that I have to do now, is to see just how long they last.

Vorsprung durch lashing out some shekels.

just found out what you all mean by getting soaked! Looks like I'll be ordering some wind deflectors! (VRS Mike)

Tried mine out on a decent cross country/motorway run today, and (as you might expect) we had torrential rain for part of the trip.

The Heko WD's certainly did the trick, no rain in whatsoever. A little "wind flutter" from the o/s when booling along the motorway, but that may have been down to nothing more than the deflectors taking their time to adapt to their new shape????

Anyway, well worth the dosh that I spent, & although I can't remember where I purchased them (via Amazon, I think) they came from either Germany or Poland, and arrived extremely quickly. Well packaged & even had(fairly rudimentary) fitting instructions.

All in all, a good buy, and THEY DO suit the car well.

Also fitted (with a fair bit of bad language) the Philips Xtreme Headlight bulbs. The factory-fitted connectors are a bit of a bar-steward to remove, and the rubber seals are anything but easy to replace - they peel off fine, but are fiddly to replace. But, job done, and not intending to lash out any more shekels on the Tonka Toy. (Now where have I heard those words before????????????)

Re: refitting of headlamp rubber seals is made much easier if a SMALL amount of silicone grease is applied all the way round...and probably makes the seal more moisture-proof, too.

Thanks Oxonboxn, but too late for the handy tip of lubricating the rubber seals (should have thought of that myself, but preferred to struggle & swear) but if (or when) these new bulbs blow, then I'll remember it. The Citigo IS a cracking little car though, & gives me & SWMBO all that we want(a heated seat in her case)so don't regret downsizing.

One thing that I HAVE noticed with the wind deflectors, is that visibility through the o/side - not the best anyway, with that very thick A pillar, is even further impaired. One does need to be a tad ( or even two tads)careful.

Re: refitting of headlamp rubber seals is made much easier if a SMALL amount of silicone grease is applied all the way round...and probably makes the seal more moisture-proof, too.

True this.. But like anything.. If it slips on easily, it might be likely fo slip off easily. So not too much aha (: