• Labour
    • UKIP
    • SNP
    • Greens
    • Plaid Cymru
    • Other
    • LibDem
    • Didn't vote because in the garage making race car

I love how in the space of about 24 hours the unknowing public have already been primed for the whole Scotland vs England nonsense.

Nothing like a nice little divide & Conquer distraction to keep the serf's from realizing their is a big blue d**k being positioned directly behind them ready for deployment.

The SNP have/are keeping the English/Scotland divide going from the referendum as it furthers the cause ;)

Representing those that voted for them and put their trust in them.

Keeping Politics honest and holding the UK Government in power to its Vow & Pledges and expecting Scotlands voice to be heard.

All change in the future if the Union is to continue. 

Winds of change as being said, rather than Westminster blowing smoke out their backsides.

More Taxation & Spending powers and allowing Scotland the Full Devolved Powers that they should already of had 

from the previous promises.

Not difficult to understand really what the Voters in Scotland gave the SNP the mandate to get for them.

If there were 59 Labour MP's in Scotland today, the Conservative and Unionist Party would still be the Majority 

party and be the UK Government.

Maybe the roUK should look at how others voted in England & Wales.

Edited by goneoffSKi
  • Like 1

If there were 59 Labour MP's in Scotland today, the Conservative and Unionist Party would still be the Majority 

party and be the UK Government.

Maybe the roUK should look at how others voted in England & Wales.

Working all around the UK I get to hear the views of owners, managers and the workforce of the companies I contract to. One thing became apparent in the months leading up to the Election that no one was keen to see a Labour SNP coalition in power. In Scotland before the referendum the owners of two companies I visit were very concerned for their future if the independence vote went through. In the RoUK people in marginal seats voted against labour for the above reasons, which is why I believe the Tories gained their majority. While I fully understand that the SNP want the best deal for Scotland and it's people it does appear to be driving a wedge between Scotland and the RoUK.

Perhaps it's time for another Referendum. :peek:  

Perhaps the wedge is placed some place in a line running between Liverpool & Newcastle, or even a bit south of that.

The North of England is being ignored of investment that is given as token gestures by Westminster from the UK Treasury.

Maybe England MP's votes on Englands affairs needs implementing and remembering that England has a North which is South of the Border with Scotland.

Working all around the UK I get to hear the views of owners, managers and the workforce of the companies I contract to. One thing became apparent in the months leading up to the Election that no one was keen to see a Labour SNP coalition in power. In Scotland before the referendum the owners of two companies I visit were very concerned for their future if the independence vote went through. In the RoUK people in marginal seats voted against labour for the above reasons, which is why I believe the Tories gained their majority. While I fully understand that the SNP want the best deal for Scotland and it's people it does appear to be driving a wedge between Scotland and the RoUK.

Perhaps it's time for another Referendum. :peek:  

The leaders of those companies may have been worried about the independence vote but that will pale into insignificance compared to the referendum coming up as to whether the UK stays in the EU or not.

All the companies that mainly deal with the EU currently will be trying to find new markets,  Nissan, Toyota etc will be gone to somewhere in the EU and the companies who supply them will find themselves in severe difficulties. 

The leaders of those companies may have been worried about the independence vote but that will pale into insignificance compared to the referendum coming up as to whether the UK stays in the EU or not.

All the companies that mainly deal with the EU currently will be trying to find new markets,  Nissan, Toyota etc will be gone to somewhere in the EU and the companies who supply them will find themselves in severe difficulties. 

Apart from the rhetoric from UKIP I don't know anyone who actually wants us to leave the EU.

We had this referendum in 1975 and the result was around 67% to stay and 33% to leave. I would suspect a similar outcome in 2017.

Things can change quickly, they voted that way in 1975 but by the same token there were 41 labour MPs in Scotland a few days ago and that's changed dramatically.  Also the EU hasn't been getting the most favourable press in the last 30 - 40 years,  you would only need a "Euro sausage" type story or a massive expenses scandal to happen at referendum time and the great British public could vote any old way.

• Like 2

Lots of water flowing through the channel since the referendum on the EEC in 1975.

I would hope the referendum would have the positive result of the majority wanting the UK to stay in the EU.

As to suspecting,

last Thursdays General Election result might have people being less sure in the future of results of the Public Vote.

• Like 1

Except the current system suits the Conservatives very nicely, so there's no incentive to change it.

It's very unlikely that any government will change it because they will have just been voted in using the FPTP system. Things like this shouldn't be controlled by the sitting government.

The way I see it, if the question put to the nation was this: "Do you want a system of disproportional representation?" ie. what we currently have, it's pretty clear what the answer would be.

• Like 1

I love Mrs. Cameron's Dress...A yellow back to a blue front....A great message "Good riddance Lib Dems"

Too much of a coincidence?

I doubt that very much. They were talking about this on the radio this morning and were saying that Cameron's politics are actually closer to Clegg's than a lot of people in the Conservative party. The Libdems also provided Cameron with a healthy buffer to force votes through the commons. His majority without the Libdems is actually smaller now.

• Like 1

Never going to happen. Tories will want elitist facilities which will be private and you know what the rest of us want.

• Like 1

I see the ultra-left slackers and scum have got a bit upset and have protested.

Makes me sick that they desecrated a war memorial though.

It was a 'peaceful' protest where they went with balaclavas and smoke bombs. Peaceful? Much?

• Like 1

Wouldn't argue with that Ken, but its not a vote for who runs Scotland (isn't that why you have the SP?), its a vote for who runs the whole of GB. Nationally 1.4million voted for the SNP and 1.1million for the greens, resulting in 56 votes for the SNP and 1 vote for the greens in the house of commons.

Oh and to show I'm not picking on the SNP:

LD 2.38m votes, 8 seats.

DUP 184thousand votes, 8 seats.

Ok, I actually counted how many Scottish seats the Scottish Green Party (a different organisation to the NI Greens, the Welsh Greens or the English Watermelons) and UKIP stood candidates in, 32 and 41 of 59 respectively. Also, if you bothered to look at the NI candidates lists, you'd see few if any London-based parties standing there. You're not comparing like with like.

£10 says he is.

Did anyone take up that bet?

I heard on Saturday on a BBC radio news report that Farage was considering standing for leader of UKIP

Ok, I actually counted how many Scottish seats the Scottish Green Party (a different organisation to the NI Greens, the Welsh Greens or the English Watermelons) and UKIP stood candidates in, 32 and 41 of 59 respectively. Also, if you bothered to look at the NI candidates lists, you'd see few if any London-based parties standing there. You're not comparing like with like.

I have said all along that I find the idea of contesting seats to be madness, and this is what leads to the situation where a party that receives a large number of votes can have significantly less representation in Westminster than a party that receives a smaller number of votes.

Like I said and which you seem to struggle to grasp: I'm not arguing with the results, as that would be pointless, I'm arguing that the system that produced the results appears to be flawed.

Anyway, the party I voted for won, why should I care about PR or anything else fairer when it would 'damage' the party I voted for?

I see the ultra-left slackers and scum have got a bit upset and have protested.

Makes me sick that they desecrated a war memorial though.

It was a 'peaceful' protest where they went with balaclavas and smoke bombs. Peaceful? Much?

Exactly,

And they wonder why it didn't get much (zero) coverage on the News??

No time for these stupid protests causing criminal damage. Much more importing things going on in the country, mainly the VE day celebrations!

• Like 1

Did anyone take up that bet?

I heard on Saturday on a BBC radio news report that Farage was considering standing for leader of UKIP

Farage said in his press conference after the election that he was standing down and after the summer Ukip would hold a leadership election and that he may stand again . I think if he does they will elect him , he is a great politician and gets a lot of media exposure . Whether he will stand or not though , who knows? Not even sure he does at the moment

I have said all along that I find the idea of contesting seats to be madness, and this is what leads to the situation where a party that receives a large number of votes can have significantly less representation in Westminster than a party that receives a smaller number of votes.

Like I said and which you seem to struggle to grasp: I'm not arguing with the results, as that would be pointless, I'm arguing that the system that produced the results appears to be flawed.

Anyway, the party I voted for won, why should I care about PR or anything else fairer when it would 'damage' the party I voted for?

We used a party list system for the European Parliament elections; in Scotland (electing 6 MEPs) that produced 3 SNP with about 34% (fair enough) 2 Liebour with about 31% (arguably too low) and one racist asshat with 11%. The Lemocrats and Cons got nothing from about 10% each, and you claim this to be fairer?

We used a party list system for the European Parliament elections; in Scotland (electing 6 MEPs) that produced 3 SNP with about 34% (fair enough) 2 Liebour with about 31% (arguably too low) and one racist asshat with 11%. The Lemocrats and Cons got nothing from about 10% each, and you claim this to be fairer?

With only 6 MEPs its going to be very hard to make that entirely fair (though I'm all for sticking a few on the band saw to make some .5 MEPs :p). A bigger sample would allow fairer proportioning, for example if you had 10 MEPs:

SNP 4

Lab 3

Racist Asshats 1

Con 1

LD 1

Or nationally (going off vote share with a sample of 100 to simplify) something like:

Con 36

Lab 30

UKIP 13

LD 8

SNP 5

Green 4

etc.

While its not going to be everyone's cup of tea, it would better reflect the vote proportions received by the parties nationally and I believe better reflect the opinion of the population.

What this would also do is remove the need for tactical voting, say a LD supporter voting for Lab simply to try and keep the Con candidate out... instead the LD supporter could vote LD because that's what he believes and wants to vote. And it would count, unlike now...

This will also reduce dramatically the number of MPs in Westminster for the main parties (hence why it will not happen), no longer allowing a majority Government to stamp all over the opposition simply by keeping its back bench sweet (I suspect this will happen during this term with the Cons).

• Like 2

Personally I thought it was the most interesting election I've seen.

The rise of the SNP in seats at Westminster.  They have replaced the Liberals as the third part in the House of Commons in terms of actual MPs.

Amazing amount of support for the other (previously small) party UKIP although they lost out in coming second in many areas.

Conservatives winning a second term with a majority and the Liberals getting decimated after they sold their souls last time round for a taste of power.

You would think UKIP getting the 12+% of the vote they did is going to make the other main parties sit up and take notice.  Maybe even influence decisions they make.

They might not have been successful at getting seats, but it sends a clear message that there was a big switch in voting from people that have had enough of some important issues and are willing to vote outside the big two.

In my local area the Conservatives won easily, but UKIP came in a clear second way ahead of any of the others.

• Like 1

I love how in the space of about 24 hours the unknowing public have already been primed for the whole Scotland vs England nonsense.

Nothing like a nice little divide & Conquer distraction to keep the serf's from realizing their is a big blue d**k being positioned directly behind them ready for deployment.

Newpapers and media outlets will have their hopes up for a lot of drama. I'm not sure teh sound bites will add up to as much drama as they will imply.

Also I'd expect the Scot Gov elections to be far less one sided. This was as much a protest vote and a kick in the balls for Westminster as anything else.

I wonder now if Nicola Sturgeon might have preferred to have won less seats (say 35) and been in a position to prop up a minority Labour government at Westminster. That way she would have had much more influence/power than she does now with 56 MP's.

It was interesting that her anti Tory, 'lock Cameron out of number 10' stance combined with her anti-austerity message clearly worked well in Scotland, but actually worked against her interests with English voters (even despite, or because, of her 'reaching out a hand of friendship to all of the UK' message).

Just goes to prove that politics is a funny old game - success can also be viewed as failure at the same time!