Brisky Racing - let's go racing!

BossFox

This one is a bit special to me. 20 years of being best mates with Skippy, growing up playing playstation and talking about "racing when we're older" and here we are. Our first race together. 7352e70997fecf2a372cca301276e902.jpg

Just thought I'd share that naff bit of information. [emoji6]

That is awesome mate. Glad you 2 finally got to achieve your ambitions :)

Great write up too :)

• Like 3

Blimey, someone get the Kleenex or the violins out...

I'm not clearing up any sticky messes in the cars FYI. :p

Yes you're learning and at an incredible rate, nothing better than being chucked in at the deep end and having to adjust to the more experienced fish real quickly. Still need to sort that power steering issue out as that'll help you in the full distance races where you need that extra bit of strength at the end. Instead of having to wrestle the car around.

• Like 1

I'm not clearing up any sticky messes in the cars FYI. :p

Yes you're learning and at an incredible rate, nothing better than being chucked in at the deep end and having to adjust to the more experienced fish real quickly. Still need to sort that power steering issue out as that'll help you in the full distance races where you need that extra bit of strength at the end. Instead of having to wrestle the car around.

Yes Danny is doing fine.  In the Focus he's around a second or so per lap slower than the guy who has a lot of racing experience and tuned it up to the car it is now over four years, so knew it inside out.

The lack of Power Steering does need sorting as it's costing time.

But overall the driver can't do everything.  Clearly practice makes perfect and we need to do more on pit stops as Danny's stop was 30-35 seconds longer than many of the cars in the top 10.

On a 21 lap race where 5th to 14th (10 place) in qualifying are separated by 2 seconds it shows how much of a team effort it is.

Also something I need to work on as in the heat of the moment I fluffed my stop costing me 8-10 seconds.  Too much rushing.

Edited by BossFox
  • Like 2

I do a lot of work with Widnes Vikings first team (Super League) and you'd be surprised how much sports psychology plays a huge part in every sport. The problems in the pits will improve over time as things become second nature and confidence builds, great to see you all having so much fun :)

• Like 3

Yes more pit stop practice is needed. It was my fault one of the harnesses didn't engage fully and popped back out which was extremely frustrating. We also didn't know Danny had heard Hannah so we had the pit board out asking him to come back in when he came down the pit lane.

But lesson learnt and I will want to be practicing profusely next time theirs a race on. Back to the stop watch again as we had it down to 35 seconds but that was a different crew. So I think if we have different crew working on it then at least 5 practices prior to the event so we, me especially, have it down.

• Like 1

I'm unclear on how you're signalling for pitstops. I'd suggest a simple protocol like this:-

Board only; "Box Box" and -> pointing over the pit wall; driver acknowledges with agreed number of headlight flashes.

2-way radio - Pit call is "Box box box" and driver acknowledges with "Roger Box". Obviously you can back this up with a pit board.

I'm unclear on how you're signalling for pitstops. I'd suggest a simple protocol like this:-

Board only; "Box Box" and -> pointing over the pit wall; driver acknowledges with agreed number of headlight flashes.

2-way radio - Pit call is "Box box box" and driver acknowledges with "Roger Box". Obviously you can back this up with a pit board.

We put "in" on pit board with all other info missing so it's clear.

Radios not allowed in our series.

• Like 2

We put "in" on pit board with all other info missing so it's clear.

Radios not allowed in our series.

OK; that should be clear too.

I was working off the cuff here, but I actually do work with radio protocols that have to be 110% clear for safety reasons.

• Like 2

Well done lad! Good write up too, shame about the engine seizing though.

Edited by Jaspire
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

Thruxton complete. What a day. Some dramas that only racing can provide. Helped Skippy again with the pitstop, didn't get a chance to practice, but it went really well when it mattered. Full review from the Drivers to follow

• Like 3

Anyone racing at Thruxton tomorrow? I might have a run up on the bike and bring the camera if so...

More than happy to help out with anything if I can be of use...

Edited by mattsv

I'll post a quick update before the Thruxton reviews arrive :)

Still no engine in the Fuesta so I managed to secure a seat in the Clio for the rest of the season

My last race was Croft where I managed two P3 finishes

Race 1 completed with damage after a first race incident with Fabby (my fault)

Race 2 great move round the outside of turn 1 (they say don't do that as you end in the gravel ) luckily I didn't and managed to keep the position after running very wide through turn 2.

Ended the weekend with the fastest lap by 2 tenths

Next round is Anglesey on the 3/4 Sept

EM

• Like 1

Thruxton review,

All started well Friday morning. An early start to get to the track, van fully loaded with parts, tools and fuel.

Myself and Richard headed out on track in the Skoda Octavia vRS course car for a few laps with an instructor. That is when you realise just how fast Thruxton really is. I was told the average speed is 90MPH.

Friday was the test day for the CSCC. Started slowly, before going all out. Had some fun with an E-Type and a Elan. Just under an hour on track and everything is good. Successful days testing and familiarising myself with the track.

Race day.

Excited! But short lived.Out for qualifying, Major misfire from leaving the pits, fine up to 6,000RPM or full throttle. I get 4 slow laps in to get my place on the grid (3 laps have to be completed to get placed).

I come into the pits where the guys come running over as they heard the car wasn't right, push on the HT leads and its good to go.

Back out and its all good! 8,000RPM of screaming Ford awesomeness. Well for a few laps anyway. Managed to get from P21 to P12 within 3 Laps with a still misfiring car albeit intermittent. 

After qualifying we inspect the car, spark plugs out to clean and inspect. Going to refit them and no3 is just spinning. The thread in the head has stripped and that was why the HT lead popped up in qualifying. Well I say HT lead, I mean the whole spark plug. We spoke about what could be done and maybe trying to helicoil the plug hole, but I really didn't want to risk anything from the process going into the cylinders and causing even more damage. So thats it, game over. 

Hopefully get the head off the car soon and send it off to be done and do anything else to that car thats needed.

It sucks massively, but thats motorsport.  

Got a pint for me and the guys helping and watched some racing. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Bit late to this one.

Had an issue with my log in and two holidays...

So race report from Thruxton on Saturday where I've not driven before.

Tested for a few 25 minute sessions on Friday afternoon and race day Sat.

The Fiesta went well and the pace was good, a hub failure on the Elan meant I only got half a lap...

Qualifying saw the Fiesta 2nd on the grid, about a second down on a very fast Integra and driver but a good two seconds clear of the 3rd car.  Out of a field of around 30 cars.

The Elan wasn't quite right, with something off on the steering but after 10 miutes of a 30 minute session I got a decent time in and then it suffered an electrical failure and died.

Other cars put in better and better times but overall we were 6th on a 42 car grid so pretty good.

The races were good.

Standing start and not wanting to snap a driveshaft saw me in 4th for the first corner, but by the time we'd done half a lap I was out in front.  Had a great battle with a Corsa for about 6 or 7 laps, we even swapped the lead a few times, then came in and messed up the pit stop, got a penalty and in the confusion didn't do the correct penalty.

After a drive through I came in 2nd, could have possibly been 1st without, but was excluded from the race as it should have been a stop/go.

Good to see the Fiesta has the pace though and it was a great drive and fight with a few cars.

Sideways into the complex...

zxIW6E.jpg

Elan race went well, dropped from 6th to 10th on the start and was back up in 5th within half a lap.

Did a complete 360 spin coming into the chicane getting used to the Elan's rear drive handling after 40 minute sweating my bits off in the Fiesta, but held my place!

Red flag, later restart and shared the drive with one of the JDR guys who used to race in Formula Renault and knows Elans really well saw us come first and win a race. ).gif

Elan running well in the front pack of 6 cars out of 42/43.

4WuuF9.jpg

Pictures taken by Dogger on this forum who came along to watch.

Also thanks to Ella and Rich (driftingforlife) who came along to help out on the day.

End of lap 1, Fiesta out in front where it stayed (other than one lap where the Corsa and me swapped places for half a lap) until I did the drive through/penalty balls up 700% of the way in.

rScbpz.jpg

Heading into the Complex together, taking the lead back.

axwno5.jpg

• Like 4

Yo Dude.

Ref the Fester at Thruxton, I'm now a rather happier camper than I was when Autosprout reported you as "excluded for ignoring a black flag". IMO a more appropriate penalty for doing a drive through when you should have done a stop and go would be either a second drive through or a time penalty, not least because exclusion punishes everyone for a minor communications mistake.

Yo Dude.

Ref the Fester at Thruxton, I'm now a rather happier camper than I was when Autosprout reported you as "excluded for ignoring a black flag". IMO a more appropriate penalty for doing a drive through when you should have done a stop and go would be either a second drive through or a time penalty, not least because exclusion punishes everyone for a minor communications mistake.

My first penalty.

Saw the flag but wasn't sure it was for me.

Didn't see the car number but was there of course as marshalls said (I assume as they have no reason to do anything else) but I couldn't see it.

Waited to see if I got called in on pit board and I did so in I came, a bit late, as I trundled through the pit lane the team were frantically waving towards the pit exit so I drove through.

In hindsight I came in for the penalty with a clear lead, thought the penalty had been changed to drive through so went.  Wasn't about to hang about and see how many cars could pass me.

The pit penalty box was right by the exit so I made a mistake and paid the price for it.  They were actually pointing and waving towards the penalty box.

A telling off and 4 penalty points on my race license until the end of the year.

I put it down to inexperience.

All caused because I switched the engine off a second late in the pit stop, as I was getting out of the car.

Shame really as without the penalty I would have got 2nd and without the extra drive through might have hung onto 1st place possibly.

But you live and learn, was a good result to do the very next race in the meeting in the Elan with Ross from JDR on a shared drive basis (was knackered after 40 minutes in the Fiesta) and get the win.

End result was that the Tin Tops result doesn't stand, so I am only on 5 races instead of 6.  Still a novice because of that too!

• Like 1