Audi A5 advice please

jcbabe

I'm keeping my MK3, this is a change to the OH's Citigo ;)

The Citigo was a stopgap as there was a temp need for a small, cheap and reliable car. This has now passed, and long journeys down the A1 / M1 are requiring a diesel cruiser.

Plus shes a girl...... I've learnt not to ask for justification  :D

Golf R then :) you going with the CPC option?

This really illustrates for me how people see things differently. I understand all your opinions but for me I don't know how you can look at an A5 without copious amounts of drool escaping from an open jaw. I literally lust after them as much as I do say a F 355 Spyder, Ftype Jag or an AC Cobra etc. Its a good thing that we don't all like the same things it would be a boring world if we did. But mainly It will keep the price down for the A5 so I can afford one :D

Yes, it's very interesting.

How you can compare it to the 355 Spyder, F Type or AC Cobra is a complete and utter mystery to me.

I'd compare it to a other coupes based on family cars that are common.

Which is what it is.

.How you can compare it to the 355 Spyder, F Type or AC Cobra is a complete and utter mystery to me.

I don't think he is comparing them in that way. merely just saying 'I really want one, just like I want an F355 etc'.

Just like I really lust after an RS6 as well as the F12; not comparing the cars, just wanting them in my 'dream garage'

I personally know what you mean about the A5, it's just an A4 coupe that is now way too common!

Each to their own......

• Like 1

THe thing i don't understand about the A5 (and this is in no way a slight to the OP considering one) is why they took an A4, took 2 doors off and squashed the back, then squeezed 2 back doors in again to call it a "sportback". Why could they not just have an A4, A4 coupe and and A4 hatchback 

oops - I forgot that Hatchback seems to be a dirty word in the car world. It's all Sportback, liftback, spaceback etc.

THe thing i don't understand about the A5 (and this is in no way a slight to the OP considering one) is why they took an A4, took 2 doors off and squashed the back, then squeezed 2 back doors in again to call it a "sportback". Why could they not just have an A4, A4 coupe and and A4 hatchback 

oops - I forgot that Hatchback seems to be a dirty word in the car world. It's all Sportback, liftback, spaceback etc.

Haha! I thought exactly the same!! Now BMW have done it with the 4 & 6 Series...... No point. They'll do a 2 door A7 soon..

BTW I think your all mad above. The A5 is sexy as hell. The A7 is ugly from the rear and the A6 just looks like a squashed A8 or Stretched A4. Every now and again a car comes along that is more than the some of its parts. The A5 is so sexy its in a different league the curves are simply stunning its like Leonardo da Vinci designed it! I might be a little biased being a design engineer but form sometimes has to be put over function. The A5 convertible oh my I think I had a little sex wee.

I am only considering four cars next.

1. Audi A5 Coupe or Convertible

2. Golf R

3. Mustang 2015 RHD

4. MERCEDES C250 AMG

Budget is just under 30k

can't think of anything else that would make me sign on the dotted line.

hey, that my list of cars that I like too, as well as the vRS lol

Haha, to hear you lot comparing the A5 to the A4 makes me cringe. Its not just an A4 coupe. Its all about the lines you have to stand and admire the curves. I suppose unless you do something like art or engineering you can't appreciate the design achievement that is the A5. It looks like an early Pininfarina sketch. Cars are normally a compromise and generally look nothing like the prototypes that appear at the motorshow. The A5 'in my opinion' has managed to avoid a compromise and looks awesome. Im talking purely from and aesthetic perspective. I haven't driven one yet it might be dog poo, and the large door issue might put me off. However with me the heart normally rules the head and I could buy a car purely on aesthetics especially when its as perfect as the A5. (again in my opinion). There is always one or more aspect of a car that puts me off visually but the A5 just ticks all the boxes for me. I must be a bit odd. :nerd:

I would go with the Golf R

On another note, what made you want to go from a Citigo to a A5?

The citigo was a stop gap while I sorted out some finances and until I knew I would be doing the commute longer term. I've done the commute for a year now. I now want to upgrade and I love our Octy vRS but that's the OH car and so I'm exploring my options for a more comfortable drive but something that I'm going to keep for several years, so overall it's pretty much that simple really

Edited by jcbabe

I agree with scribbler and mac about the looks of the A5.

I do think it is one of the best looking cars on the road, as much as anything it looks quite individual, unlike most other boxes.

I cannot disagree though, about a car losing its appeal once it's design becomes commonplace.

On that last comment, I would sooner have a nice individual classic motor.

Edited by Tilt
  • Like 1

Sorry, can't agree with many saying the A5 looks better than the A7. Totally the other way round, in my opinion!

Couldnt agree more.

Especially when the little spoilers up on the back of the A7 (do all models have those? Not sure?)

A5 looks feeble compared

• Like 1

You will be disappointed, as you correctly pointed out in the other thread "I am the bigger man"  :clap:

I won't provide you with anymore posts for you to use to spoil this thread so I'll leave you to it.

Let's keep this on topic please...

The A5 is a good looking car bit as has been previously said, its very common.

The A7 is in a different league IMO and is the nicer car. However, it is in a different market and can't really be compared. The 3.0 bitdi in the A7 is amazing though!!!

• Like 2

The A7 is very nice from the front for similar reasons to why the A5 is but its ruined by the Rear end. I think the office junior was let loose on the rear.

Guest BigJase88

A4's are okay

A5's are nice

A7's are nicer

I wouldnt want a 2.0tdi one though. Can imagine it being pretty gutless

3.0tdi is the way to go for sure

Nope, i stil dont see it with the A7. It looks out proportion or something. From the front it like a scaled up every other audi. but from the side or rear it just looks incorrectly drawn..

• Like 1

Make sure you can live with only two massive doors.

You need plenty of space to get out.

I'd rather have an A6 as the A5 is just an A4 coupe at the end of the day and not as nice.

+1.

My EOS is an easy fit in the average car-park space, but the doors are long enough to make egress / entry difficult.

(Easier with the roof down though...)

Q? Is an A6 too big to park though, it has to be wider than mu current Superb?

DC

BTW I think your all mad above. The A5 is sexy as hell. The A7 is ugly from the rear and the A6 just looks like a squashed A8 or Stretched A4. Every now and again a car comes along that is more than the some of its parts. The A5 is so sexy its in a different league the curves are simply stunning its like Leonardo da Vinci designed it! I might be a little biased being a design engineer but form sometimes has to be put over function. The A5 convertible oh my I think I had a little sex wee.

I am only considering four cars next.

1. Audi A5 Coupe or Convertible

2. Golf R

3. Mustang 2015 RHD

4. MERCEDES C250 AMG

Budget is just under 30k

can't think of anything else that would make me sign on the dotted line.

Parking a Mustang anywhere in the UK could be problematic, IMVHO.